Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2018, 12:00 PM   #21
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstadler View Post
I am a fan of Fords for a number of reason.

1. The cost of repair is 1/2 of a Cummins engines. Injectors are over 2X as much to replace.
2. If you go Ford you will have a tried and proven engine that has been tested millions of miles with few factory recalls.
3. Fords do not rust out like a Doge, take a moment and look at 3 year old Ford's and a Doge and you will see the tire wells rust on the Doge first, oil pans rust andtransmition pans rust of Doges.
4. For matches or exceeds the Doge performance and is more economical to drive.

You may wonder what I have, it's a 6.7 Ford Single axle and I pull 15K fifth wheel with no issues. And a nice thing Ford makes the box work with many hitches with drop in 4 cam systems. No installation costs!

John
FYI
Ram also has 4 point “puck” system. AND you can get a Curt hitch factory installed so it is included in purchase/loan.

I am a Ford fan as well but went with Ram when I switched to diesel. I don’t know how anyone could be a critic of the bulletproof and tested for decades Cummins diesel. You can suggest Ford has just a good or even superior engine but I don’t trust that to be true.

Having said that IF Ford was using the Cummins I would have bought one. I do think Ford truck bodies and frames are in general better quality. As a point in fact, we will be trading the wife’s Ford Fusion for a Ford F-150 gas pickup.

But either way I don’t think you go wrong getting any of the top three. Especially if your like me and trade in every 2-3 years.

To the OP, you should be fine. There isn’t that much more height loaded and lots of other folks out there with new Rams pulling 5er. Be sure to look into the factory installed Curt hitch. It’s a great hitch and you can pay for it on truck note rather than out of pocket! Ran just seems to cater more to the 5er crowd at least where I live.

2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:52 PM   #22
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
JD powers has rated the Ram the HIGHEST RESALE value of all vehicles..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:46 PM   #23
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
I am a fan of Fords for a number of reason.

1. The cost of repair is 1/2 of a Cummins engines. Injectors are over 2X as much to replace.
2. If you go Ford you will have a tried and proven engine that has been tested millions of miles with few factory recalls.
3. Fords do not rust out like a Doge, take a moment and look at 3 year old Ford's and a Doge and you will see the tire wells rust on the Doge first, oil pans rust andtransmition pans rust of Doges.
4. For matches or exceeds the Doge performance and is more economical to drive.

You may wonder what I have, it's a 6.7 Ford Single axle and I pull 15K fifth wheel with no issues. And a nice thing Ford makes the box work with many hitches with drop in 4 cam systems. No installation costs!

John
Ford hasn't had a dependable engine since they quit using the 7.3. If you need injector service on the new ones the cab must be removed and that ain't cheap. RAM is the least expensive to maintain as there are fewer parts, ease of access, and excellent longevity. They all have the puck hitch system.

I am not brand loyal and I buy the best available at the time. I've had all three. The RAM is pure drivetrain but lacks on fit and finish. The ultimate TV would be a RAM powertrain in a Chevy or Ford body.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:26 PM   #24
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
All my fords leaked.. jd, bet if the h20 pump on that ford went out you couldn’t fix it without taking the cab off.. can do a Cummins on the side of the road..
Old 11-20-2018, 07:36 PM   #25
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
I'm not loyal to any brand but resale on every Ford I've has been pretty good. If you go by sales # for the first two quarters this year Ford sold 451k, Chevy 291k & Dodge 233k. There must be a reason why they sell so many? Its not because they are the cheapest, I just looked at an 18 450 KR it was 80k??? I almost fell over. Going to check out some GMs they are advertising 12k off sticker right now. For the price of a truck & camper I can get a nice house upstate & a prius to get there.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:08 PM   #26
paphog
Established Member

M.O.C. #9574
Thanks for all the great info picked up my new Ram 3500 4X4 about 3 weeks ago 6.7 with aisis trans 3.42 and love it pulls great so thanks again for all great info.
paphog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:48 PM   #27
jstadler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19913
Ford 6.7

All I can say is you can't go wrong with a Ford. Zero issues in many miles towing a 5th wheel. And much more on the road. Doge is good if you don't mind the rust
jstadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:35 PM   #28
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
All I can say is you can't go wrong with a Ford. Zero issues in many miles towing a 5th wheel. And much more on the road. Doge is good if you don't mind the rust
Ive owned an 04, 15 and now a 17... no rust on any of them..we live in snow country where salt is used.. the op has a very nice truck.. our 17 longhorn is so comfortable and luxurious.. since 14 years of ram trucks, here is the things that went wrong.. 1. Ignition switch, u joints, cracked injector line, and one lift pump.. Chrysler covered two items that were out of warranty!... notice, no rust.. also, jd powers said the Ram has the highest resale ....
Old 11-27-2018, 06:37 PM   #29
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by paphog View Post
Thanks for all the great info picked up my new Ram 3500 4X4 about 3 weeks ago 6.7 with aisis trans 3.42 and love it pulls great so thanks again for all great info.
lets see pics!
Old 11-27-2018, 08:06 PM   #30
jstadler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19913
Get out of Doge

Thanks
jstadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:04 AM   #31
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by paphog View Post
Great truck.
Enjoy
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote