Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Must have been cold....

We got home Thursday to northern Wisconsin, other than high grass and deadly skeeters everything seemed to be good to go.... That is until I tried to regen the water softener. It overflowed all over the basement floor. I hit the bypass valve. Today after I got some other stuff unpacked I shoved a hose into the softener and drained the water out and there was the fiberglass treatment tank split wide open. This softener has handled 5 winters without a problem but this loooong COLD winter must have been too much. I can't believe the price of softeners now WOW!. At least the cost of propane has come down, we need a load of that too. I didn't see the softener blowing out as an issue when we left. Maybe we will try the local Culligan man for awhile.

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We're just dealing with our freeze proof faucet at the RV home base failing. Dug done there today, but then a thunderstorm arrived and we got 2" of rain so now I have to drain the hole before I can find out if the faucet failed or the pex did. Main while it's a good thing I had our water tank full to act as ballast with the severe storms we've been having. Now I've just got to get it fixed or find a plumber before the tank runs dry.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #3
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
if the hose was left on the outside tap then the freeze proof tap can not drain properly.
joe

brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I guess it would be good to read the instructions, I guess the softener needs to be drained before freezing weather. This entails disconnecting from the supply and tipping it over to drain all the water out. This was the 6th winter we have left the house unheated but the first time the water softener exploded. My neighbor just told me that his mineral tank burst last year and that Morton has a 10 yr warranty against bursting tank and they replaced it no questions asked. So tomorrow I will call Morton and hope for the best...
Old 06-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #5
Steve and Susie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12618
Wow, guess all this makes me glad I got tired of Michigan in February and sold out and bought in Florida, no freezes there this year. Happy Trails, Steve and Susie
Steve and Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steve and Susie

Wow, guess all this makes me glad I got tired of Michigan in February and sold out and bought in Florida, no freezes there this year. Happy Trails, Steve and Susie
Maybe, but what are you going to do when the earth's axis goes through another precession and Florida becomes the new South Pole?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Then property in Prudoe bay will be like the keys..
Old 06-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Well I did finally get the full story about the winter here. They had over 96 consecutive days below zero AND some of those were in the -40 range. 10 ft of frost in the ground, 27 ft of snow and high winds on the coldest days. Also the bogus "shortage" of propane that pushed prices from 1.09 per gallon when we left in Sept to a high of 5.68. There seem to be a lot more houses for sale this spring/summer. Not many folks want to do another winter like that. Still waiting on a determination from Morton about the busted tank in the softener. We had a local water treatment outfit come out to give us an estimate on a seasonal softener service ( 849.00) for initial install and one year service. We will either repair the existing unit or buy a new one. We did find out that we really don't need that much softening...
Old 07-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
UPDATE! Morton is sending out a new treatment tank with media included as well as most of the top end parts as a warranty claim. They cover the tank for 10 yrs and I am at the 8.5 to 9 yr mark. This will save me at least 400 dollars. They were very nice about the whole issue.