Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2015, 03:45 AM   #1
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Chlorinating fresh water system

On my old 3400FL when I wanted to sanitize the fresh water system I just put a cup of bleach in the external tank access and the filled the tank, ran it through the piping and then ran some fresh water behind it. My new front living coach has no external access except for normal street hookup. How's the best way to do this-here job?

Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:55 AM   #2
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
You could pour sanitizer in your hose, position tank fill valve to fill tank. Then hook hose to connection and fill fresh water tank to desired level. Then you could proceed as normal.
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:01 AM   #3
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rmthelen

You could pour sanitizer in your hose, position tank fill valve to fill tank. Then hook hose to connection and fill fresh water tank to desired level. Then you could proceed as normal.
Yes this as above! Another method is to find your fresh tank overflow/ vent. pop the cover off and dump the sanitizer into the tank that way. mine is on the back wall of the trailer and the cover pops off by pushing up.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:18 AM   #4
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Did not know this. Would this also be the way to fill the fresh water tank with a hose?
Old 09-09-2015, 05:29 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
In a pinch you could use the vent line to put water in the tank, but in my opinion ... it's asking for trouble. There is little to no way for air to escape while filling this way (unless you burp it every 30 sec or so), so you could make a big buldge in the floor along with a big headache to make things right again. I looked at a SOB that the vent line had been wire tied back over itself during manufacturing ... the owner had tried to fill his FW tank via the convenience center connection and had his main flooring bow up inside. I had to pass on needed repairs.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:43 AM   #6
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I have a whole house filter. I remove filter cartridge, add 1 cup of Clorox to empty housing, fill with water, and then put water in drinking tank
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:15 AM   #7
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

In a pinch you could use the vent line to put water in the tank, but in my opinion ... it's asking for trouble. There is little to no way for air to escape while filling this way (unless you burp it every 30 sec or so), so you could make a big buldge in the floor along with a big headache to make things right again. I looked at a SOB that the vent line had been wire tied back over itself during manufacturing ... the owner had tried to fill his FW tank via the convenience center connection and had his main flooring bow up inside. I had to pass on needed repairs.
Opps!!! Got ya. This would be just a vent line. OK. Again, I have never removed the cover to check.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by K0LCB

I have a whole house filter. I remove filter cartridge, add 1 cup of Clorox to empty housing, fill with water, and then put water in drinking tank
Kolcb that is great Idea!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:44 PM   #9
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Here is one more way to do this job. Took our freshwater vent cover off yesterday just to see how it was made. It pops straight up when pressure is applied from the bottom. I removed the small amount of silicone that was stuck on the side wall at vent cover edge with a micro fiber towel along with bug & tar remover. There is a screen in the face of the vent tube that can be easily pulled out. Now you can use a funnel or water bottle pour in your bleach. After bleach is down the tube replace the screen, snap the vent cover back down over the vent tube face and do a fresh water fill from the convenience center as usual.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:58 AM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I think that was what Jason said he does 6 replies up. That's what got the vent line discussion started.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:59 AM   #11
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Thank you all!
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:44 AM   #12
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
The vent line approach is what the latest Keystone manual recommends

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:39 AM   #13
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Quick Question, can you use the winterizing set up on a Montana to suck a chlorine/water solution into the tank to sterilize it?
Old 09-10-2015, 06:46 PM   #14
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
A good time to offer a tip: Go to a pool/spa supply store and get some sodium dichlor. It's a powder. Much easier to use than bleach, much less destructive to plastic, much more available chlorine than bleach. Just add the powder to your hose before filling and use just 1 teaspoon per tank to sanitize then flush as usual. Much easier to carry in a small container than bleach.
This is the stuff I use to keep my hot tub sanitized. I've been done with using stinky bleach for 10 years now. I sanitize my RV tank about 4 times a year using this quick and easy method. This is the stuff I use to keep my hot tub sanitized. I've been done with using stinky bleach for 10 years now. I sanitize my RV tank about 4 times a year using this quick and easy method.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:38 AM   #15
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Quick answer is no. The winterizing port will only sanitize your water lines above the tank and the water pump. Not the holding tank.
You have to get the sanitizer into the holding tank and then use the pump to move the sanitized water through the Hot and Cold water lines for each faucet. Dont forget to do the washer water hookup. Those lines can trap/contain bacteria as well as a shower.

I generally do this during the unwinterizing process and allow the sanitized water to sit in the lines for 24hrs prior to flushing out the system. Drain and flush the remainder of sanitized water in the holding tank via the low point drain. Then flush the tank with fresh water. You can then use the street pressure side to flush out the lines. There will be a small amount of sanitizing water on the input and output side of your water pump which is easily removed by pumping clean fresh water through the kitchen sink.

If you choose to sanitize the hot water heater remember it is about 10 gallons of extra sanitize and flush water.

I like the idea above about the alternative powdered sanitizer above.
I normally go by smell of the water to evacuate the bleach though.

Does the product mentioned have a distinct odor?

Powdered pool cholorine which I already have will leave this odor also. I'll just have to figure out the proportion to use.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by drknapp

Quick Question, can you use the winterizing set up on a Montana to suck a chlorine/water solution into the tank to sterilize it?
Old 09-11-2015, 05:46 AM   #16
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by drknapp

While you can use the winterizing port to pump water to the holding tank by turning the power fill valve also, I'd not recommend it because it took 1 hour just to get 10 gallons in. I think I'll use the method of just putting 1 cup of bleach in the hose or filter housing and set the power fill option from the city water port.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:28 AM   #17
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Aside from all the discussion here ... unless you flat don't have access to a city water hookup ... it's super easy to just pour a cup of clorox or what ever you prefer down the male end of your water hose and hook it back on to the fresh water port and set it for fill. Your hose will easily take on a cup of fluid then some.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #18
baybum10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #15866
I've noticed several posts suggesting sanitizing the hot water heater. I flush the heater with a wand, but I thought it was self sanitizing when it heats up. Is there a need to further treat the tank?
Old 09-11-2015, 05:55 PM   #19
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by baybum10

I've noticed several posts suggesting sanitizing the hot water heater. I flush the heater with a wand, but I thought it was self sanitizing when it heats up. Is there a need to further treat the tank?
The temperature to kill most (not all) pathogens is 165 degrees, Our water heaters don't get that hot. I still run the treated water into the water heater.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:50 PM   #20
baybum10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #15866
Thanks Mark N. I'll add the water heater to my check list.