Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2006, 06:49 AM   #1
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Laundry

My wife has a question that maybe only long timers could answer. Most full timers would have a washer and dryer combo, we thought the long timers may not at this point. At any rate, if you do not have a washer/dryer, how and where is the best place to store dirty laundry until you can get to a Laundromat or home?

Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:19 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We have chosen to not get a W/D because we don't always like to park where we get full hookups. We like to get it all done at once during a two hour trip to a laundromat every week or ten days. We put a clothes basket on the floor of our shower and toss dirty clothes over the top into the basket. We replaced our floor hamper wire basket with a wood box that holds extra paper rolls of different kinds. This system has worked good for us. If we take a shower, or I should say 'when' we take a shower we just take the basket out of the shower until that task is done. I don't want to give up the storage in our entry closet for a W/D.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:39 AM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I found a small basket that fits on the top shelf of the front closet. It slides back behind the tv cabinet out of sight. Like Judy, I usually wait until I have enough to do one or two full loads at the laundromat.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We use the hamper that is in the floor. I made a cover for the wire basket so you can't see our dirty undies if the basement door is open. In our previous 5er we used the shower as storage for dirty clothes but I like not having to move something to take a shower.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:36 AM   #5
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
We use the wire basket that is under the floor. I am not too sure that I am any happier with it than the plastic hamper that just sat on the floor. Wife says that right now she really doesn't want a built in washer/drier.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:19 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are long timers and we have the W/D.When you are out for a month or more doing laundry at a Laundromat or at the campground laundry can get very expensive.Helen also made a cover for the in floor basket.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 12:23 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Native Tex

My wife has a question that maybe only long timers could answer. Most full timers would have a washer and dryer combo, we thought the long timers may not at this point. At any rate, if you do not have a washer/dryer, how and where is the best place to store dirty laundry until you can get to a Laundromat or home?
We are full timers and do not have or want a washer/dryer combo. Marge says she can wash/dry a lot of clothes for the money it costs to have the washer/dryer. In addition, we have the washer/dryer room made into a closet for hanging coats/garments, collapsible clothes hamper, vacuum cleaner, brooms and other paraphenalia.

We had a washer/dryer in our 1982 40' Kountry Aire but Marge found that it took too long to do our laundry. Now she can go to a laundromat, load three or four machines and do the laundry in 1/4 the time. Before you ladies jump on me for her doing the laundry, I'm right there with her and I help fold and hang the clothes!

We have gone into some RV parks where we have been asked if we had a washer. When we asked why they asked, we were told that they didn't want people to use their washers because it overloaded their septic systems. I understand that, having worked a lot with septic systems in various places where we have lived prior to full timing.

There are many who are full timers (but I don't believe it is MOST) who have washer/dryer combos and swear by them.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 12:40 PM   #8
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
We got one of those folding trash cans at Walmart for dirty clothes. We set it in the shower, and usually do a big washing every ten days at the rv park or a laundromat. We decided to put a small freezer in the water closet, which we have really enjoyed. Don't have any future plans to add a washer/dryer at this point.

barb and bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 12:40 PM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ditto Sue and Orv

I can do many many loads of laundry for what it would cost me to purchase and install a washer/dryer.

I have the laundry basket in the basement and can stuff 3 weeks of laundry in there if the need arises (did once when we were both very sick, too sick to run to any laundrymat). I do not want dirty laundry in my shower, did that for 15 years, hated lifting it out every day for showers, LOVE my little cubby in the basement!!!

I don't want to give up the space at this point, ok, the dog gear takes up a lot of storage, .

We constantly re-evaluate what we haul around and how it is stored. If I ever felt I could really give up the storage area, I might campaign for a splendide type washer/dryer, probably after I win a lottery somewhere! HA HA

I do not mind going to the laundrymat, and have yet to have some of the bad experiences reported here by others. If, I did have one of those experiences, I might change my mind quite fast!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 12:53 PM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Gotta agree with Carol and Orv. We are full timers and a W/D is not only expensive but also additional unnecessary weight. Lorraine can wash and dry two or three loads at a laundromat in 1/4 the time it takes to do a load in a single RV W/D and that includes driving to and from the laundromat. We also have never had any kind of a problem at any laundromat.

We also use the laundry basket in the basement via the trap door in the floor.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 02:20 PM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
On our Mountaineer, the toliet and one vanity is separate from the bedroom. This vanity has room under it for a regular size laundry basket. No w/d. We started out wanting one, then decided we could do without it.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:31 PM   #12
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Hey gang as always you guys are the best and provide some good ideas. We have been using the shower/basket process like most of you. However, like someone said, we too hate to have to move the hamper to take a shower. I guess we will just stop filling the under floor basket with other items and start using it for dirty laundry. That was one of our fall backs, but we hoping some might have a very cleaver idea. Thanks again guys, we are still searching.

Old 12-09-2006, 03:35 PM   #13
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Gotta agree with Carol and Orv. We are full timers and a W/D is not only expensive but also additional unnecessary weight. Lorraine can wash and dry two or three loads at a laundromat in 1/4 the time it takes to do a load in a single RV W/D and that includes driving to and from the laundromat. We also have never had any kind of a problem at any laundromat.

We also use the laundry basket in the basement via the trap door in the floor.
Glenn, Lorraine, Carol, and Orv I agree with you guys regarding the costs and loss of space with the W/D install. I guess in my mind, most of you guys just had one for convenience. I agree with Parrothead that you can wash and dry a lot of clothes for the cost. Thanks for the good words.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:47 AM   #14
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
We also opted to use a coin laundry versus having the WD in the Monty. When we calculated the cost, we found by the time we put that many coins in we would be ready to trade for a new Montana. LOL
Also like the time saving factor by doing two or three loads all at once. We only have to do laundry once every two weeks as we have enough clothing and sheets to carry us through. We use the laundry facilities ar the RV park. We also wanted the storage space in the WD closet. I have put several drawer plastic containers (available at WalMart) in the closet to keep things organized. We use the laundry basket and hatch under the stairs for dirty laundry. Like the idea of lining the basket so dirties are not visible when opening the basement door. Would also prevent those socks from falling through some of the openings in the wire.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 03:29 AM   #15
Gpa_Dick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5960
We elected not to have the w/d option. Although we are w/d ready in the coach in case we change our mind. Like others said, the w/d closet provide lots of extra storage and I would rather have the extra weight from storage items instead of the w/d.

We did the laundromat trips when we first got married almost 39 years ago and it was a team effort like Orv mentioned for him. We too use the laundry basket in the basement. Good luck in your search. I am curious what some of the bad experiences at the laundromat were. Was it safety issues or bad washers/dryers? Can someone point me to a thread I can read?

Thanks.

-Dick
Gpa_Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:16 AM   #16
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dick,
We have had several really bad experiences with laundromats and was one of the reasons we bought the washer/dryer. Dirty machines, coin slots that don't work, machines all full (especially true at CG) and once I lost some clothes. We didn't feel we lost that much storage with the W/D because you don't need as many clothes with you since you can run a load every day. We have shelves above the W/D that hold a lot of stuff and we have a wicker basket that sits on top of the W/D. Actually I was misquoted in one of the posts above. I didn't say you can wash and dry a lot for the cost. When we first purchased our Monty I was living in it full time while working away from home. That is when we purchased the W/D also. I did a calculation on how long it would take for the W/D to pay for itself. It was just over a year if I remember correctly. Another point at the time I had to wear "dress up" clothes to work and laundromats don't do well with nice clothes. The combo Splendide uses very little water so I'm not sure why CG don't like them. We have not run into this problem yet. I like the idea that I can start a load of clothes in the morning while still in my PJ's and having my coffee. Sorry for the long post.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:30 AM   #17
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
I agree that you can do lots more laundry in a fraction of the time by going to a laundromat. My reason for having my own is that I'm a bit of a germ-a-phob. Oh, I tolerate our own germs quite well, ha ha! I just like using my own toilet and shower too. Things like public door knobs, shopping cart handles etc.....I'm getting off subject. It's nice for me to be able to wash whenever AT HOME. I have a Splendide combo (vented). Marilyn
mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:17 AM   #18
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
We have a collapsible mesh laundry hamper that goes at one end of the closet. We can go at least a couple weeks without having to do laundry. We're plumbed for W/D, but that closet is for coats and other storage.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:47 AM   #19
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
We thought long and hard before having a Splendide (vented) installed because we, too, used the closet for storage. We finally realized that since we always come back to the rig after a day's outing, we can start a load of wash while sitting outside with a toddy, or getting dinner started, and kick back and relax. This is truly one of those personal preference decisions. What works for us may not work for you. Whatever you decide, you will enjoy your rig - your way. We haved a small wicker basket on top of the washer for dirty laundry. We used to have a mesh laundry hamper which we kept in the big front closet, but did some relocating when we installed the w/d. This way all the laundry stuff is in one place. When we wash the sheets, we take them off the bed, into the washer/dryer, then back on the bed. I love freshly laundered sheets - they smell so good and are so soft!
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:17 AM   #20
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Personal reasons we will have a W/D in our long-time unit:
1.Someone else's bubble gum hard dried all over our bedding.
2.Observation of what goes in CG laundramats dirty and comes out clean--this from being parked in sight of laundries in several campgrounds:
..... Outdoor rugs
..... Dog bedding
..... Cleaning rags after rigs are washed and dried
..... Work clothes from road crews
..... CG owners bathroom cleaning rags

Enough!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote