Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2005, 03:56 PM   #1
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Landing Gear Remote Control

I got my Zaxis landing gear remote control on Thursday, and got it installed Friday & Saturday. The only reason it took 2 days is that I don't always follow directions well, but that's another story. The installation is really quite simple (especially if you pay attention to which set of wires you're playing with) and the system works really well. Now I can stand next to the bed of the truck and adjust the pin height while Shari backs it up, without having to walk back and forth to the basement. Or I can do the whole thing myself from behind the wheel. Customer service from the manufactuere is excellent. When I called Friday afternoon after 5PM Eastern and got a answering machine, I didn't bother to leave a message, just figured they were gone for the weekend and I'd call on Monday. A little later I got a message on my cell phone from the owner. He saw a missed message on his cell phone (yeah, his business phone is his cell) and called it back and left a message because he recognized my name on my message. This is a company that is interested in its customers, highly recommend them and the product.

Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:43 AM   #2
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
He also monitors(ed) this forum. I got an email about mine after I had posted about my install.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:02 PM   #3
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Can anyone give me a price on the single remote system? I can install it myself. Paul
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 04:36 AM   #4
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Paul,
The ZAXIS unit runs $149.00 plus shipping, which is less than $10. Wes will ship it out immediately by FedEx Ground. Go to www.westhaverassociates.com/zaxis. This single unit can be made into a double by the addition of a double-pole/double-throw switch if you want to run a second function. This would work well if you also had electric stabilizers in the rear. Call Wes at 443-538-7819, he'll be glad to answer any questions. By the way, I have no connection with the company at all, just a well satisfied customer. Good Luck.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:20 PM   #5
mmrxboss
Established Member

M.O.C. #1425
Try this address:
http://www.westhaverassociates.com/zaxis/
mmrxboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 05:29 AM   #6
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
I've got landing gear remote, too, and it sure makes hook up fine tuning a snap! I also tape measure hitch height before starting to get me in the ball park. Combination works great!!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 03:07 AM   #7
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
This sure sounds like a great idea. Would be very helpful when I am traveling from job to job. Usually I am alone then and it would be a great benefit. Think I'll install one when I get back.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 03:48 PM   #8
Rudi and Ellen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4441
Send a message via AIM to Rudi and Ellen
Bill - Am I correct in assuming that the Zaxis landing gear remote control system if for alligning the hitch height to the truck bed? If so, I simply stand up a piece of wood in the bed of the truck. The length of the piece of wood was determined initially through trial and error. Once I got the height of the hitch plate in the correct spot, I measured the distance to the truck bed and cut it to that length. With the stick standing on end on the bed, I simply watch the hitch plate come up or down to that distance. It works perfectly evry time.
If I'm wrong about what I'm assuming here.....Nevermind.
Rudi and Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 05:51 PM   #9
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Rudi,
I think you're right. This is just a neat gadget that allows you to adjust the height while in the truck, and as Garin1 said, really convenient when you want to do by yourself. I can't resist a new gadget/toy!
Old 10-04-2005, 04:20 AM   #10
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
we have a fore and aft level mounted just above the cargo door next to the landing gear control. We mark where it is at when we unhitch, then return to that plus about a degree before we hitch up again. We use a grease pencil. It gets pretty close.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 05:44 PM   #11
Montana_1197
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1197
There's several good ideas for getting the pin height set before hooking up. I use a simple hobby type magnet with a string and a fishing weight tied to the end. I set the length of the string when I unhoooked on level ground. Then just pop the magnet on the bottom of the pin and up/down until the weight just swings clear of the ground. Back up and connect with no further adjustments.
Montana_1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 03:22 PM   #12
Ontheroad
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #551
Installed my Xaxis landing gear remote system from Westhaver today. Very easy & works great. On my 2880 the landing gear switch was at arms length in the side basement, making it impossible to see the hitch. Can't wait till I get to use it.
Ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote