Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2006, 10:55 AM   #1
Rudi and Ellen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4441
Send a message via AIM to Rudi and Ellen
Additional Fuel Tank

I'm sure many of you have been thinking at one time or another about extending the range of your travel mileage without having to stop for gas so frequently. I just added a 36 gallon tank onto the bed of my truck for a mere $472. That includes the tank and a manual pump. Size: about 9x19x60. It sits right up against the back of the cab (below the truck sides, and I lose only about 10" in the length of the bed). I checked into it in the morning and had it picked up and installed halfway through the afternoon. If anyone is interested in more information I'll be glad to provide additional details.

Rudi and Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:18 AM   #2
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Sure, More Info Please!

Who makes it? Is it just a fuel tank or tank/tool box? Is it available nationwide? Do they have an automatic type of transfer like the Transfer-Flow?

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:56 AM   #3
Rudi and Ellen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4441
Don - I looked through the paper that came with the tank. There is no indication of who made it. I contacted a local farm equipment distributer and bought the tank from them. I know that there are a number of different tanks out there. Here is an internet site of one of them [/url]. But you should be able to get one cheaper locally.
The manual pump is made by Fill-Rite. They make a number of different pumps. I bought the manual one. But there are ones available that run off a 12V system too. A transfer system is a bit more involved, if I understand it correctly. It may not be legal in all states. I was told that the system is not legal in Canada. Only because they want you to pay for the gas in their country except for what is in the main tank. You would have to pay a fine for what you take across the border in addition to that. A neighbor of mine pays a fine of $20/can when he goes snow mobiling up there.
Hope this helps....
Old 12-20-2006, 02:54 AM   #4
Dano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4721
I was also looking at the 60 gal. with the tool box on top and transflow option. They have them at northern tools .com with shipping it was right about $750 . Sure would be nice to have 95gal. when we hit the road.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:09 AM   #5
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Sounds like the tank setup I put in my unit a year ago. I bought a 50 gal. plastic built-in boat tank off ebay. Put it between my toolbox and cab of truck, strapped it in, installed a 12volt pump I bought at pepboys. I can remove it with no problem.
I crossed the border twice this year with no questions or problems. I have also saved more on fuel, especially in Canada, than the cost of this setup. It costs approx. $250.00.
I like the idea of getting a better deal on fuel not so much increasing my distance. I have ran into the problem of finding a place to easily get a big rig and truck into some service stations. An extra tank gives you an extra ability to avoid some problems.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:38 PM   #6
Rudi and Ellen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4441
The problem I see in going with a tank that is big, is weight. The 36 gallon tank will add approximately 260 lbs. of extra weight to the load. We have to be very careful about the items we add to our units.
Dano - In the case of a 60 gallon tank, that would add about 432 lbs.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I had given careful consideration to another larger tank but decided against it since we have to stop every couple hours anyway. I have the two stock tanks on my truck. When one runs out I begin looking for another fueling station anyway. Traveling more than 250-300 miles/day for us is not what we like to do. Usually we get to our destination then refuel. Don't like to carry the extra weight either.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:46 AM   #8
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Rudi;

I put a 36 gallon tank in my truck. Sounds similar to what you got although I use a gravity feed ( I know, I know, it may not be legal in all 50 states).

I dislike fuel stops and really like being able to cut the number in half or less. I still stop when needed. I just don't always have to stop for fuel.

The extra tank and the Timbren helpers are the two best improvements I've made to my rig.

Gary
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:01 AM   #9
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I like to stop when I want to stop and I like saving as much money as I can and not give anymore than I can to those money hungry oil companies.
I also added air bags to my unit to compensate for the added weight. I travel as far in a day as I need, and I try to buy from dealers that I get a discount from if I cannot find a cheaper price than theirs.
I can understand both the pro's and con's. If you ever go through Canada, you might have a better understanding.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:35 AM   #10
Dano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4721
rudi, I'm not concernd about the weight, Thats only 432lbs. when you first fill up,as you drive the weight goes down. And is why I went for the 3500 DRW. Fully loaded I'm sure were still way in the clear on weight. Even with the hevy pin weight the 3000RK has. I just hate to stop and refule when on a roll.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 04:08 AM   #11
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Hello, I am interested in adding a few extra gallons for my travels and I am interested in the TransferFlow that replaces the existing tank on the F250. Has anyone used this tank?

bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 01:48 PM   #12
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bw2

Hello, I am interested in adding a few extra gallons for my travels and I am interested in the TransferFlow that replaces the existing tank on the F250. Has anyone used this tank?

BW2;

Do a search and you'll find discussion on the transfer flow. Long story short they are a very high quality if somewhat pricey product. If you've got the funds they're probably about the best you'll find.

Gary
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 02:26 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
bw2 I put the OEM replacement tank (26 to 45 gals) in my '05 GM D/A and it works fine. Saved the bed room for other things. I like the idea of the fuel being out of sight. Was pricey to have tank shipped to Alaska but hopefully worth the expense in the long run....

Hope this helps some...

Phil P.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 01:41 AM   #14
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
I just installed a transfer flow 45 gal relacement tank in my 2500 hd 2004 chevy it is not hard to do. after we installed it & filled it, we checked alingment and ride height it did require some adjustment but not much. I would also ad second fuel filter, you might look at Lubrication speciallist llc this is also a veary simple install, if you need more info email or call me if i can help
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:25 PM   #15
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
Titan tanks make a 52 gal. replacement for the short bed owners. It is plastic and cost 800.00 with 90.00 shipping, and also has a skid plate included.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:15 PM   #16
mikeandcarol
Established Member

M.O.C. #6655
I put in a 60gal combo fuel tank and tool box from Northern Tools. The tool box isn't very big but it serves it's purpose. Around $500. I also added a gravity feed that works automaticly through a check valve in the trucks fill hose. Works great.
mikeandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:37 AM   #17
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Hi to all, when we upgraded TV's that was a option that we wanted the extra fuel tank. We have a 98 gal in bed tank. Plus the OEM tanks 15 gal and 25 gal for a total of 148 gals. It only hurts when you have to fuel up. Out last fuel stop cost $256.00, have we can pick were we want to fuel, when we get to about 850 miles or so I get on the computer and start checking prices. I recommend the extra tank, however you will be adding more weigh. Good Luck on your choice...GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:49 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Tell you what.. We have not been a fan of the extra fuel tank for a couple of reasons...We stop every 2 or 3 hours anyway and why carry the extra weight... however..after this 2400 mile trip through 7 states and the difficulty we experienced in fueling, IE finding a station we can fit into without shoe horning in and out and it makes no difference gas or diesel. Most flying J's and other stations are not RV friendly and both gas and Diesel RV's , in many cases are directed to the auto pumps.We are now re- thinking the "extra tank" on our next truck the only reason being we would not have to stop and face the fuel hassle so often..We are learning....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:23 AM   #19
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
We had a transfer-flow 30 gal toolbox/tank installed in the Chevy. It is pricey and legel in all 50 states. It pumps fuel into the OEM everytime the OEM drops about 2 to 4 gals. It keeps both tanks even while zooming down the highway. We have about 2,000 miles on it and really like it. Cost about $2,000 for the tank and installtion (which was $195). If you have a longbed you can get the 45 gal toolbox combo. I have the shortbed, so had to go with the 30 gal. combo. Nice to have the 56 gal. available for long trips. I know there are lots of cheaper tanks out there, so it is like your Tana and TV, whatever spins your prop. We also stop every two hours for rest stops, even though we now could go all day. It was really nice to go past gas stations we used to stop at, and go to one with easy access another 100 miles down the road. It is one of those nice to have things, since we plan on being on the road 8 mos. out of the year. Same thing with the dish we had mounted on the roof, pricey, but really great. We worked 45 years to enjoy the nice to have things, that are not necessarily needed in our travels. Happy rving...

barb and bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:47 PM   #20
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Rich, after I had to back my rig out onto a busy highway, I put one in. Now I can also limit my refueling experiences. I still stop somewhere around 200 miles to stretch my legs. However now I can pick my spots.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote