Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2023, 09:08 AM   #1
cste1957

M.O.C. #30985
Exterior Skirting Issues

2022 - Montana - 3763 BP

Just wondering if any of the Montana Owners out there have issues with their exterior skirting bellowing and/or cracking.

Over the past year or so we have noticed when travelling with the unit that if we have a cross wind from passenger side to driver side that the lower exterior skirting on the Kitchen slide out will bellow in and out in the wind.
This caused the bottom of the skirting to crack, took back to dealer and was replaced under warranty. While bringing back home from dealer, had a strong cross wind from passenger side to driver side 60 - 70 KMH (35-40 MPH), this caused the same skirting piece to bellow and have noticed a crease starting in the skirting at the very bottom where it curls up.
The dealer put on a brace, but the brace is pretty well vertical as this skirting is on the kitchen slide out and there appears to be nowhere that you can angle brace back to the under carriage due too the slide out.
Any other Owners have this issue and if so what remedy to you come up with.

Old 11-28-2023, 10:16 AM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I had a similar problem in my first year with my Montana High County. My story is slightly different though. When the bedroom slide was out (rear bedroom) and the wind blew just right, the skirt under the bedroom slide would flop and make a banging noise, right under our heads in the slide.

The kitchen slide is the longest slide in the camper and I noticed it had upright supports and it did not flop at all. But the bedroom had none.

I ended up going to a Lowe's and picked up some flat 1 inch strips of metal, very stiff. It's found in that section with metal dow rods, square tubing rods, flat aluminum trim stuff.

The first thing I did was bend them so they would cause a very, very stiff spring action. I fit them, then cut them to length. I then drilled a hole in each end and attached on the back side of the skirt with self-tapping metal screws.

That took care of the flopping in even the strongest wind. It was easy to fix, but it did take some time and lots of measurements and a bit of trial and error to get the right amount of bend in each "spring" to make a very, very tight fit, yet still fit the space without bulging outward.

And of course, I had to work with each support separately, and attached one before working out the next one. It took a couple days doing it in the evenings, but the end result has proven itself. It's been over 4 years now, and we've never heard the banging again.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 04:21 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
That's a great idea, Dutch. I've been having trouble with the J-wrap slipping off on both rear sides. Seems there's nothing to attach it to. Rig is going back to Elkhart in March for sidewall cracks, so I was hoping they would see it and fix it, but at least now I have another idea how to proceed if not.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 06:04 AM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
On ours we have 1x1 aluminum tubing mounted in the same position as Dutchman shows. It came like that from the factory.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 06:14 AM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Dutch - I can't tell from the photo - but did you anchor the top of the braces to the floor like my sketch? Did you screw the J-wrap to the brace ONLY at the bottom? or did you attach at midpoint also?

Edit: I think I have tubing braces like Daryles mentioned - just not enough of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-11-29_07-02-53.png
Views:	6
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	16029  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 09:25 AM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
As for the Jpanels being loose - I had a lot of trouble a while back and they actually completely detached from the side trim piece. They were flapping out like wings! So after investigating, they are actually not screwed on any place along the side - just some place on the bottom edge. The sides were just slide up under the horizontal trim piece that has the rubber strip running lengthwise. So after rocking along the road, the panels eventually pulled out.

I think part of the problem is I was having welds on the side wall studs that were breaking. So a LOT of flexing, apparently. I eventually had the studs welded back and actually one short piece was completely cut out and replaced. At the same time had front sidewall braces near the overhang welded back. That was 1 or 2 years ago and so far no more problems so far.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 03:56 PM   #7
Reset19
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23160
Yes, I used some curtain rod hangers. Also replaced sheet metal screw with bolt and nut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9946.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	16036