Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
astrungis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13151
Big Rig Campgrounds and Fuel Stations

Just curious... we have done our fair share of traveling with our truck camper. Now that we are trading up to a Montana 3900FB, how do you guys plan your trips to accommodate our "big rigs" at campgrounds and fuel stations with easy in/out access? As you well know, sometimes you may have to settle for a fuel station/convenience store with a lot the size of a postage stamp. Or pull into a campground that can deal with your length on the actual site but the roads leading to it have tight turning radius's or low tree branches. Is there a guide you reference or fly blind? Thanks - love the help you provide.

astrungis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We carry an RV Travel Guide Campground Directory. Woodall's will work too. We usually call to see if they can handle our rig before we pull in. We don't necessarily make advance reservations, unless there is a need. Sometimes we are less than a half hour out when we call. I also want to see my spot before I commit to parking. For fuel, we try to limit our daily travel to less than a one tank trip. I make it a point to top off the tank just before hooking up. If we do get forced to fuel while hauling the Big Sky, we start looking when we reach a half tank. That will give us plenty of time to find a station with the proper clearances.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:07 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
First, congrats on the step up. It is a challenge when traveling the secondary roads to get into the small stations, more than one time Sue has had to block traffic for me when maneuvering around in small towns. I even had to call the Police department one time, as it was too dangerous for Sue. The cop needed a course in 'Being understanding and nice to tourists' but he did the job. It's funny, every time I think of that town, I remember his surly response, not good P.R. for the town.
There are good books to buy; 'Next exit' and others I will research for you, that have 'Big rig friendly' stations. Some books are just for Interstates, some are for all roads. Most of the campgrounds have good access, but if in doubt, call them and ask about the entrance roads.
Be very careful with the new rig in fueling stations, turn wide and practice maneuvering it in tight spaces where you are not under pressure, it will come in handy.
Good luck! Nice having all that living space, isn't it?
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:09 AM   #4
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
If you have an ipad there is a great app called Allstays Camp and RV. It lists everything you need to know on the road. Truck Stops, Campgrounds, Rest Areas etc. I have it and I love it.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:13 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We stick to truck stops and tpks ,interstates when able. just call the campground and tell them what you have.We have not had a real problem in 7 years.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:39 AM   #6
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Another easy way to see what you will be getting into is to use Google Earth. You can enter the address or lat and long and soom into where you are going and actually see what it is like.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:56 AM   #7
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
I must echo the comments above, specifically use a spotter/guide to help you in tight spaces. Practice hand signals and carry a pair of small walkie talkies and listen to your spotter. Above all else, never get in a hurry or let others force you to move quicker than you are comfortable.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:48 AM   #8
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
We too let the campgrounds know our length and width with the 4 slides out. I also tell them that I have 1 large slide on door side and 3 smaller ones on opposite side. At times it has been challenging to open our slides (3) with trees or electrical pedestals. We too look at the site before we try to park it.

There is also a campground book for Big Rigs, they also tell you what sites are the best ones at the campground.

We normally get our fuel on the interstates and since our truck is diesel we normally use truck stops.

Enjoy the new rig.
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #9
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Never had a problem getting my 40 fter in any campground in 6 years as far as Fuel goes I only travel as far as the next campground which is usually not a full tanks worth then I set up at the new campground, right before we leave for a new campground I go to town and Fuel up my truck .....Repeat I,m retired and never in a hurry I only drive a few hundred miles a day
Old 02-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #10
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
X2 on the Allstays app. Also, very good advice on practicing with a spotter. If you attend the Fall Rally, Vickie and I teach a hand signals class.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
NCFischers even has hand signals an irate driver wouldn't understand...but the Fall rally class is very informative.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We use cell phone apps exclusively and then call the campground to confirm that our size spot is available. On gas we again use apps to find truck stops.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
When going into those tiny service stations, don't forget to look up to make sure your rig will not hit any overhangs, low ceilings, trees, etc. Unlike a car where two dimensions will get you buy, a fifth wheel will also make you consider HEIGHT! I have encountered even some truck stops that were a tight fit.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #14
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We use truck stops
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:06 AM   #15
gelswick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12367
Ditto all the above, we have only had one bad expierence in believing that the CG said they could accomadate us. Most are truthful when you call in advance. One local park replyed when I wanted to store my RV there: "In your #%$!#$% dreams". I checked it out and he was right"
gelswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:23 AM   #16
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
When I first got the Monty I tried to reserve pull-thru sites rather than back-in. Usually not as scenic but easier to get into and out of. Also, at truck stops, I try to look and see which direction I am supposed to pull into the pumps. I went the wrong direction once and well, let's just say, it was embarrassing
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #17
Avofarmer66
Established Member

M.O.C. #13197
We signed up for the Flying-J/Pilot RV credit card through Good Sam. a .06 per gal. savings off pump pricing. Most Flying-J/Pilot have RV lanes and parking for RVs. If you run into a truck stop with no accomodations for RV's you'll find most of the big rig drivers are good guys and gals.

The DW says the lady drivers are better than the guys. Go Figure
Avofarmer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #18
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
We like truck stops too, but avoid, the big names (Loves, Pilot, Flying J, etc). Our experience with the big name is that they are crowded, dirty, noisy, and the drivers are not too fond of RVers. We prefer Mom and Pop truck stops, that are busy enough to sell lots of fuel, but not over run. Here's "The Next Exit" as mentioned earlier:

http://www.amazon.com/Next-EXIT-Mark.../dp/0984692118
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote