Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Purpose of hinges under table?

I just discovered two of these hinges under my table. They were folded up, so I never hit them with my legs or noticed them when I was cleaning the table's pedestal. As far as I know, my table doesn't swivel; it does have the extension leaf which slides out, but I can't see that these hinges have anything to do with that extension. The holes in them don't match up with anything under the table. Can someone tell me what those hinges are for?

(Yes, I have now dusted under the table!)

Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
tspoon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8973
It is so you can slide the table top to make room on one side of the table or other side.
tspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
But the hinges don't do anything that I can see! And what is the purpose of the holes and the "hinge" action?

Carolyn
Old 02-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
When you push the hinge up from what we see in your pic it will stop the table top from sliding toward the front or rear of you coach. When the hinges are in the down position as shown the top will slide over to either side allowing easy entry to the one side of the table. The holes serve no purpose it's just that Keystone decided to use a hinge for the latch/lock action.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Yep, allows or disallows the table to slide. When we travel, no slide. When we are sitting someplace, sliding allowed.

Almost a KISS solution, believe it or not! LOL
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
It does keep the table top from sliding
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Same with mine. Flip the hinges over and the top will slide 2-3 inches to one side. Flip back the other way and it will not slide. Pretty simple way to make a stop.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Thanks for the help. My table seems to slide no matter what position the hinges are in, but from now on, I'll be sure to havebhinges in the "travel position" when we move.

Carolyn
Old 02-13-2013, 05:42 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If your tabletop is sliding, then the two hinges are not in position correctly. They act like stops to prevent the table from sliding. If you cannot raise the hinges into their "home" positions you must move the table top slightly in either direction until the hinges can move into position. Then they will prevent movement.

With the hinges down and out of position, the sliding table top allows extra room for you to enter or exit on one side at a time. Make sure you don't hurt whomever is on the other side. It's kinda clever and helps mostly when the table with four chairs is fully populated and there's one or two larger people seated down. Just another convenience besides moving the chairs while in cramped corners.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
For the record, we didn't know about those hinges for at least a year living fulltime in the rig - we used to play "rock, paper, scissors" to see who had the narrow side each meal. For a while, Brad always threw "rock" first, so that worked for me, but once he changed things up, I was the one stuck on that side for most meals!
subra1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
In mine, the hinge is gone, and there is a pin in it;s place just a bit smaller than the swivel pin. It works fine, but I didn't even know about it till I read this blog. Wish I'd known about this before as it sure makes squeezing in and out much easier.
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #12
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
I'll be derned. I am continually learning things on this site. I don't have to take the 4 screws out of the floor and move the table after all.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #13
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
We had to have our table replaced and they put it too close to the window so it would not swival and clear the table. The dealer ( 180 miles away) said there would be no problem in removing the screws and repoisitioning the table, which I did and now works great. I say all this to let you know that if you have to move the table it is really easy to do. Just remove the 4 screws and then position the table and put the screws back in the floor.
Petmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #14
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Our table did not swivel originally. So I modified it myself by adding a boat seat type swivel. But when swiveling it would hit the window shade. But by lifting the above discussed hinges (table stops) and sliding the table to one side, I could swivel it without hitting the shade.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #15
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Note, we are not talking about swiveling the tabletop, which is now a feature on some tables or others have added this ability to rotate the tabletop as needed. The feature we are referring to is when the table is in the perpendicular position and one wants to slide the table left or right to make it easier to egress from the one side or the other. The hinges lock the tabletop to stop it from being able to do this and keep it steady especially when sliding.

I'm not sure how good this might work if you rotate the tabletop then slide it in either direction, too but it sounds like this is what BB_TX has done. I guess that would be the best in flexibility. For now, my tabletop is mostly perpendicular to the wall and I can release the hinges to widen the gap on either side at a time. Mine doesn't rotate.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:44 AM   #16
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I do like the sliding feature myself. Especially someone who has a plumper center section!!! Makes you feel skinny...
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote