Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Recliner manufacturer

Is Flair the manufacturer of the recliners in most Montanas? I believe that's what Charles Wade told us at the 7 Feathers rally. A lever on one of ours broke off where it's attached to the recliner, and I need to order a replacement. Charles said he'd send me one . . .

Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:34 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I had one of our recliners break within the first couple of months, out they went and in came the Lazy Boy. BTW Don't hold your breath....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:42 AM   #3
rvghostdriver
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4518
Try to remind him at wadec@keystonerv.com
I do not know for sure that is still a good address but you can try.
rvghostdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:51 AM   #4
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
I had the same thing happen. My dealer stocked them. He said they had a lot of them break.
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wayne and Carolyn Mathews

Charles said he'd send me one . . .

Carolyn
Oh, really?! Have you been in contact with him finally? What's the word on replacing the "SOB switch-a-roo" components with Keystone stuff?

One of our recliner handles came off in my hand during the PDI! They put a new one on, and it has been good ever since. They are definitely the weakest spot on an overall cheaply constructed recliner. When the time comes that another handle bites the dust, I will make a metal handle that won't break. Of course, if I do make an unbreakable handle, it will probably cause something inside the chair to break! If that happens, then I will look into light weight, Euro-style chairs with ottomans.

In the meanwhile, since we are just vacationers, the cheapo recliners are going to have to suffice.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Carolyn,

Flair was the manufacturer of the recliners in our 07 3400 so would assume it would be the same in your unit. We had one of our's break before the warranty ran out and they replaced it through our dealer. They are located in the same area as the Keystone factory so hopefully a new handle will be sent as promised, if not go straight to them and maybe they will take care of it for you. Good luck.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I dealt with Flair Interiors on our recliners. Both wore out rapidly and metal components bent and broke. Almost had them talked into replacing them (out of warranty) then they changed their mind. They were not nasty tempered or anything like that, they just declined after some thought.

I was hoping that they would make a good faith gesture. I have had exceptional luck with other OEM companies on replacing items after the warranty as a show of good faith. However, Flair Interiors (www.flairinteriors.com) was not a supplier that was predisposed to do such things in my experience...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #8
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We did not order ours with the recliners. We bought 2 Flexsteel Euro Recliner and put them in when our Montana arrived. We really like the Euro Recliners.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:44 PM   #9
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
I heard from Flair today (on Sunday, go figure). The rep wants me to go through my dealer. Yeah, right--if you know me, you know that working with my dealer has been a long, difficult, non-profitable road since July of last year. Looks like I'm going to be stuck with a recliner that has no lever to operate the recliner function.

One day we are going to ditch those 2 uncomfortable monsters for LazyBoy wall-huggers, but for the moment, we have to "dance with the ones that brung us . . .," to paraphrase an old saying.

No, KTManiac, no word by phone or e-mail, no returned calls, nothing. I was warned, wasn't I! Well, maybe he has good intentions but bites off more than he can chew. Who knows? But man, I surely would love to have had that handle he promised me (and that was a "no problem" problem, according to him.

On the TV/DVD player switch and broken drawer AND the damaged closet door tracks, I've gone to Keystone for help. I'm keeping the faith--so far, Keystone has stepped in when the dealer didn't do his part.

Carolyn
Old 07-26-2009, 03:13 PM   #10
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Carolyn, you do not have to go back to your dealer of purchase to get satisfaction. My dealer is in another state and the local dealer is a Keystone dealer, not Montana, and they will work with Keystone to fix any problems that might occur.
Try talking to another Keystone dealer to see if they will help, never hurts!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Carolyn,
Good luck. I did a search on: flair rv chair parts: and I'm not impressed in what I found.

Can you describe just what broke? Or a picture?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:52 AM   #12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Steve and Patti, we probably will be going through another dealer. Bretz RV in Missoula (4 hours away) handles Montanas, so that's probably going to be our dealer of choice at the moment; it is also the dealer suggested to us by two Keystone reps.

Waynem, I wasn't impressed when I searched the site last week, either. The only thing of help there was an e-mail address that did get me to a rep. We'll see . . .

Carolyn
Old 07-27-2009, 07:07 AM   #13
rphoward
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4471
I wonder when Montana is going to catch on to all the "promises" made by Charles Wade that are never followed through on. It is getting to be kind of silly to have him at the rallies because we have either experienced his "promises" personally, or know someone who has. Very sad representation for the company.
rphoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:01 AM   #14
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
We had the handle on ours brake and contacted Flair they wanted me to go thru the dealer due to them not able to sell retail, talked about our horrable dealer and they sent me one after I sent them $20.

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:51 AM   #15
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Bob & Lee, after visiting with a recliner factory rep again yesterday, our check made out to Flair is in the mail today. Monty dealers do not "have lots of those in stock," as we were told (and didn't believe anyway). Anyway, the replacement won't be here by the time we leave for Yellowstone on Friday (yea!!!!), but at least we will have a working handle before too long.

Carolyn