Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2016, 12:36 PM   #1
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Gages

I just bought a set of gauges that can be used on all of my vehicles and moved from one to another in less than 2 minutes. I got then from ScanTool.net. It is WiFi connected for my I phone and can be Bluebooth connected for a Android phone with their Blurtooth sending unit. Cost $79 including the Phone App. There is no wiring required. You can monitor dozens of perimeters, flip from page to page and they are easy to set up. You can set up different pages for different vehicles, check fault codes and erase them. It does work and works very well as good as any gauges made.
There is a problem. The one reading you really need on a diesel truck you don't have is EGT. Another missing is transmission fluid temp. I emailed ScanTool.net and they said they were working on Ford and GN specific perimeters that will have these and hundreds more.
Overall they are worth the $79 price.
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:31 AM   #2
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
I see this is an OBD interface device. A great idea for certain, but it's going to be limited to what the engine can report. I want an EGT gauge, but if there's already a sensor on the exhaust manifold, I'd rather use it instead of installing something else and having to stick a gauge on the dash.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:07 AM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Walt
They don't have a EGT perimeter yet but they told me they were working on it. What ever that means. If they get it there will be hundreds of perimeters that you can monitor. This way is just as accurate as any set of gauges and very convenient. You really don't need gages all the time just when you are pulling camper. You can go to their web site to see what perimeters will be included. Look under the Windows section. They already have them for Windows but not for Android and I phones. To jog them up Email them and ask when they will have them.
Lynwood

Old 02-04-2016, 04:13 AM   #4
coyoterick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10239
I use a BAFX ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII reader I bought on eBay on my Ford truck along with the Torque Pro smartphone app. Total cost was about $30 and together they work great.

DieselTechRon has a YouTube video on how to setup Torque Pro for Ford at

coyoterick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:27 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The Torque Pro is the app that I have. It will work on Blurtooth and WiFi. An Android phone will work on Bluetooth or WiFi. The I phones have Bluetooth but for reasons that are above my pay grade won't work on Bluetooth with these gages. They will only work on WiFi.
Lynwood
Old 02-05-2016, 03:06 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had themsince day one on the diesel.Heat kills turbo's so monitoring pre turbo EGT is important . Trans temp and boost should be on monitor. We drive by our guage readings.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:54 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
As Rich pointed out trans temps and EGT should be monitored. I think must be monitored and when you can monitor those this will be a great set of guages until then they beat not having anything. If your truck goes into regen on a hard pull your EGT will go through the roof without you even being aware of it.
Lynwood
Old 02-05-2016, 03:46 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
At 1300 degrees the tips of the turbo blades will be white hot they should not be run that hot for very long. We have our Gauge set to alarm at 1200 degrees egt and we back off and keep below 1300 degrees.That might mean we are climbing at 40/50MPH but the turbos are happy.We have pre turbo EGT, Tranny temps and boost on constant monitor.We can look at all the parameters that ford monitors but these three..IMO are critical.When in regen the EGT will increase 500 degrees or more. IMO every diesel truck should have a set of Gauges OEM

We use the Aero Force Interceptor scan gauge.It was designed by a couple of NASA engineers
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:27 AM   #9
The Erwins
Established Member

M.O.C. #18186
Being a member of both RV forums and a member of the diesel forums I have read numerous opinions and me myself ran several different setups.

On my current rig I have a Scangauge II which with a little work reads everything but the EGT, then a standalone EGT gauge.

The Erwins is offline   Reply With Quote