Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
What pet do you travel with?

We have a cat, but we're hoping to retire and long time -- if not full time -- in a few years. The cat will most likely stay with my daughter then and I would like a dog again. We used to have a Corgi, but they shed much too much for my husband's liking. So I'm looking for a sweet companion with little shedding. Any recommendations?

napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Reptiles don't shed much, don't make much noise, and don't require a lot of attention.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
I would reccomend a shi-tsu. None shedding--great lap dog. fairly low energy, but do re3uire a lot of maintenance as far as grooming. Poodles are too high energy to be good in an RV, in my oipinion. We have an Ethiopin monkey beaver dog. I know he is Ethiopian because he is always hungry and he eats bannanas and tree roots. I really do not know what he is, but I think he is a cross between a poodle and a garbage disposal-- a disposapoo. We got him from a shelter about 2 weeks before we started fulltiming. He does not know anything but rv's. He is a great traveler, but he does love to run. It is a problem trying to find places to let him off leash. He will do everything I tell him to do. I just have to be careful what I tell him. I can find a spot to let him run and tell him to go run until he is completely exhausted and do not come back no matter how many times I call and that is what he will do.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
I guess I should say that I'm pretty intrigued by Havanese. They don't shed and are supposedly easy to train, intelligent and lower energy for being a small dog. They're part of the Bichon family, but come in many different colors. My husband told me "no all-white, pompom dogs."
Old 07-13-2014, 09:55 AM   #5
tweber502
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13660
If you're not opposed to a larger dog Labradoodles are great dogs. They don't shed, are very intelligent and very dedicate to their owners. They are also great with children and adults alike. We have a Boxadore which is Lab and Boxer mix. she is a wonderful pet that loves to travel and camp she but does tend to shed if not brushed regularly. We wouldn't trade her for the world!! Tim
tweber502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We have a Golden Retriever. They are great dogs, about as laid back and easy going as you can get. But do need regular brushing. We keep her cut relatively short to minimize the shedding.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Don't give up on the cat. We travel with three, a small, a large and an extra large (26#). In our opinion they are as good or better than dogs in that you never have to take them outside in the rain.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:06 PM   #8
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Well we have 2 poodles we have rescued. The black one is Chuck, who is the most laid back, lazy dog I have ever had. But then he is special, no for real he is a window licker, crayon and helmut kinda dog. His previous owners kept him tied to the refrigerator and never let him out. They kicked him in the head so much he is missing a bunch of teeth and is now mentally challenged. Poor dog never even knew what grass was till we got him. 1st time out on the lawn he freaked out. Took us a long time to get him back to where he is a pretty good lap dog. He does sleep a whole lot so that makes him a good traveling dog. Now his sister the white poodle is just the opposite. She is a rescue too and is one of the bouncy bouncy poodles. She also travels well but has a habit of bitching us out and talking back. Plus she thinks she is a princess...
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #9
DougnDawn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13665
Take a look at the Yorkshire, great little dogs, no shedding, ours doesn't bark unless a cat or other critter is in his space. Have fun finding that perfect companion!
DougnDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
I would pick the Yorkie. But, don't tell my blue heeler. 36 lbs of shedding mess. She IS an awesome traveler and a great watchdog and I wouldn't trade her for anything. Besides - she loves me and is a great jogging/walking companion. Afraid a little foo-foo dog would last 100 yards . . .
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:56 PM   #11
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
2nd the Labrardoodle we Rv with 2 people that have them Great dogs that shed very little, we have 2 cats and they do shed a lot AND my wife is allergic to them but they best thing we ever bought was a good Air purifier PROBLEM SOLVED the Cats stay
Old 07-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #12
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
I'll tell you right up front that our Chesapeake Bay Retriever does shed, but she is the single most intelligent dog we have ever owned and we have had quite a few! Loving, loyal, a great traveler, and eager to explore wherever we we will take her. And not one of those little foo foo dogs!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:35 PM   #13
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

We have been traveling with a cat and a Boston terrier sense purchasing the trailer in 2009. We have obtained a second Boston terrier puppy and she will be taking her first long camping trip with us when we go to the Montana rally in Sevierville TN.

You will see both dogs on the wife’s lap in the picture at the bottom of this post.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:34 AM   #14
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
Wow, I'm amazed at how many of you travel with big dogs! Maybe I'll have to rethink this. My husband is definitely not a fan of the foo foo dogs but I really want a lap dog. Maybe I should be looking at medium sized dogs. Thanks for all the responses!
Old 07-14-2014, 04:09 AM   #15
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
We started with a black lab. I felt so bad for him being "stuck" in such a small space. I'm sure he felt bad for us having to walk around him all the time as well. He moved on to a much larger home and was replaced with a half chihuahua half something else. She sheds a bit but not too bad and does much better in the limited space as do we.

As a side, we had a couple pull in that travel with two adult great danes and a great dane puppy. No idea how they manage that but...
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:17 AM   #16
tweber502
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13660
Here is a picture of our Boxadore travel companion. The best pet we could ever ask for! She just loves to pose for the camera!!

[img][/img]
tweber502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:48 AM   #17
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I vote, of course, for yorkies. Our 6 have traveled miles and miles. Our last two (seniors, at 15 plus years) have traveled from coast to coast.

Size and spirit, they don't take up much space (their gear does, but, not them! LOL). But, they are feisty. And, yep, they can be mouthy.

When these two travel to the Rainbow Bridge, I want another. I doubt I will be able to change breeds.

Cause - - I have been yorked. If you have been yorked, you get it. If not, there are many other wonderful breeds for us to love and care for.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:31 AM   #18
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
My son's family has a Havenese and they are wonderful pets and don't shed. They do require grooming frequently and look really cute trimmed short. Good for people who have allergies also. Expensive but really sweet pets.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:47 AM   #19
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
We had a 5 lb Chihuahua that loved camping. She only barked when someone knocked on the door. We loved her dearly for almost 15 years but I won't ever go through having a pet put to sleep again. I said then that I never wanted another pet to have to worry about when we traveled and would be gone for 10-12 hours at a time. I'm also getting too old to get up rain or shine and take them out. Just getting lazy, I guess. Ours was named Angel and she truly was one. Probably wouldn't be that lucky again.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:50 AM   #20
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Let me throw an odd one in the mix. We travel with both a cat and dog. The dog is a Basenji which is a medium sized dog that weighs in at about 35 pounds. Sheds very little, has no odor (even when wet), and the full breed ones do not even bark (ours is mixed and barks alot!). The dog is very protective, if she sees me even hugging DW, she starts growling and barking, and I believe would protect DW from any threat!!

A shot from a previous rig of her standing proudly:

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote