Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2014, 06:31 AM   #1
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
3402RL Stereo/DVD

Raising the cabinet mounted stereo/DVD player 3/4" allows easy remote use w/the cabinet door closed! My remote only worked w/the door open. I removed the unit from the Velcro, unscrewed the Velcro, and added a 1x2" piece (14-16" long) under the front and back, and screwed them down. Screwed the Velcro to the front piece, and replaced the stereo/DVD player. Voila! Secure again. Remote shoots through the glass and works from chair or couch w/cabinet door shut. DW is very happy to not have the door open over the desk chair!!

capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:40 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
and, you are a hero for a day!! Good job, I will have to look at this as well.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sometimes I find myself wondering why Keystone and other manufacturers dont realize this when they build these rigs?? Common sense things often times seem to go out the window on the most simple tasks and functions. Glad you were able to find a solution with an easy to do install.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #4
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Is your glass the faux antique type like we've got? Our remote has never worked w/door closed either so this could be an easy fix!
Old 02-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #5
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Thanx my man!! that always irritates me to have to leave the cabinet door open
Old 02-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Way to go Chris.
Bingo. You should not have a problem with using the remote for your DVD with the door closed. We do it all the time.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:53 PM   #7
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Way to go Chris!
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Great job of creative engineering. As George stated, some of us are lucky and don't have the problem.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jay Bird

Way to go Chris.
Bingo. You should not have a problem with using the remote for your DVD with the door closed. We do it all the time.
It seems like the problem is when I am lying on the couch on the opposite side from the dvd player/receiver, have to reach towards the middle and hold the remote up? Perhaps laying on the other couch is the solution??? I do not have the same problem with the Directv receiver since it is elevated above the Sony unit on a wire shelf. It is only when we are watching the local channels via the antenna. It is usually not too much of a problem since the girls always hijack the living room anyway!! On another note, I am very envious of the newly relocated Floridians who tantalizingly post about warm temperatures! As Gomer would say, Shaaaame, Shaaaame, Shaaaame!!
Bingo
Bingo
Old 02-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #10
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
Great fix! I probably would have forked out another chunk of cash and installed an IR repeater. I like this much better!
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:46 PM   #11
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
I think the reason they didn't make the BD system remote work originally, was Sony sold them on the fact you can control most things with the TV remote and the 2 systems communicate via HDMI. I can do this by using the sync button. I'm not happen with the method, so a little mod'ing is in my future.

Thanks
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:09 AM   #12
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
Boy Chris you sure are the man to fix the TV/DVD issues! Mine don't need a fixin so stay away please! Thank you

For those of you who do not know the rest of the story, I'll fill ya in; Four years ago I took my Montana on it's maiden voyage to the Noreast rally in Pa. I asked Chris for help getting my TV to work. We each took an end of a coax to hook up to campground cable (my end connected to trailer) and then went inside; well after a long time of a blank screen we gave up! Later I got help from another MOC friend (when Chris wasn't around)who eventually figured out the problem and got things working right spiffy! Chris hadn't hooked his end of the coax cable up to the post! So ya see why I'm a little gunshy of Chris a helpin me with a TV! Funny thing though; every day after that I'd awaken to find the cable gremlin had disconnected my cable! Oh to be a newby at a MOC rally! Bless ya Chris, you got good intensions if that is all ya got!
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:43 AM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
My DVD/Stereo player sits on a molded plastic base. I hated having the doors open too. So I unscrewed the base, moved it right a couple inches to expose the "eye" of the player then screwed down the base and having the doors closed works great (So what if it's off center, with the doors close one doesn't notice). The second problem I had is that the satellite receiver had the same problem. So I use velcro on the top of the player and bottom of the receiver and the receiver sits on top of the player way to the right but enough so the eye is exposed and now the doors can remain closed. Works out great.

In my trailer setup the satellite receiver is wired so that it also works for the bedroom tv. But what about the remote control? Well I bought an IR transmitter whereby the eye is in the bedroom and it uses Infrared to transmit the to the IR receiver fastened to aim at the living room satellite receiver that has the doors closed and voila, I can lie in bed and use the remote to control the bedroom TV signal as well. I also scotch taped the TV codes and procedure to the bottom of the satellite receiver remote so that I can change the TV codes to control the Power and volume for the respective TVs as well.

Sheepdog... you are living right not having these issues. Just leaves you more time to enjoy the rig! You're welcome! Some of ain't so lucky and need some Kentucky windage to gets things aimed "jes' right"!

Now if I can only get some funds together to convert to all HD in the rig, now we're talking, but I'm still working on the stickhouse TVs.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:38 AM   #14
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Chris, just think of all the excercise you will be missing out on now that you have raised the unit and don't have to stretch or get up to change channels!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:42 PM   #15
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
After reading this post, I looked at my BD audio system and realized that I had a DirecTV receiver sitting beside it. So I put the BD system on top of the DirecTV receive and now its IR receive works through the glass.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:26 PM   #16
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jfaberna

After reading this post, I looked at my BD audio system and realized that I had a DirecTV receiver sitting beside it. So I put the BD system on top of the DirecTV receive and now its IR receive works through the glass.
Great idea, that may well work with ours. Does the Directv receiver still work fine with the door closed? If so, I will be doing a like reversal!
Bingo
Old 02-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #17
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by capn chris

Raising the cabinet mounted stereo/DVD player 3/4" allows easy remote use w/the cabinet door closed! My remote only worked w/the door open. I removed the unit from the Velcro, unscrewed the Velcro, and added a 1x2" piece (14-16" long) under the front and back, and screwed them down. Screwed the Velcro to the front piece, and replaced the stereo/DVD player. Voila! Secure again. Remote shoots through the glass and works from chair or couch w/cabinet door shut. DW is very happy to not have the door open over the desk chair!!
I had to do the exact same thing. I glad the remote works thru the frosted glass. We lucked out on that one.

I've looked at SOB and there players are completely blocked by the cabinet door. There door doesn't have the frosted glass, so you have to keep the door open. Again, the engineers don't get out much.

scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote