Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2004, 08:22 AM   #1
Montana_513
Established Member

M.O.C. #513
That New Smell - Still!

We are in the 10th month of owning our 5er and the new smell will not go away. We still can't use it. This is one smelly coach and I do not think we will be able to use it for a long time. Yesterday, the wife got up her courage and entered the coach and only lasted a minute. She had to get out because she began to get that bad sensation from her sensitivity to the outgassing. The only way it does not smell is if open all the windows and vents and the wind is blowing. You can still smell it outside if you stand downwind. It seems the worst smell is coming from the roof/ceiling area. We are starting to look around for used coaches that do not have that new smell. I am wondering if Keystone uses different materials during construction than others. The other day we were looking at used 5ers at a local dealer on a hot day and all the Keystone products had that distinct new chemical odor and some other brands did not.

Montana_513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 08:35 AM   #2
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Mine was really strong in the beginning, but a few BBQ's smoking some ribs for about 8 hours with the door open and smoke making its way in there......the new smell is beginning to subside.
Have you tried some off the shelf deoderizers like Febreeze and such, and leaving the unit opened up a few days with the ac fan circulating the air?
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 08:37 AM   #3
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Why not put some dryer sheets in there all over and have that smell instead? Or get a air purifier and plug that in. I have one of those glade oil things plugged in in there and all I can smell is apple cinnamon. LOL

When we bought our unit the previous people who had it, the man smoked a pipe. I told the dealer it would be a deal breaker if they couldn't get the smell out and they did. I'm not sure what it is they used but they had a little machine like a air purifier and plugged it in in there for a couple days and you would never know it was ever smoked in. Call your dealer and tell them you hate the smell in it and see if they have anything that could take the smell out. I'll trade you, I like that "new" smell. LOL
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 11:54 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
CraigandSue, I remember well this ongoing saga with your Montana. I don't remember if you called Keystone to see if they have some ideas? I know you tried a lot of possible solutions, to no avail.

Does it seem to be coming from a particular area or stronger in one part of the coach or is it pretty much the same all over?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 12:38 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I might be reading this all wrong too, but I thought that what Craig was referring to was the chemical smell, which can be strong in a new unit and subsides AFTER the adhesives and carpets and glues and wall stuff and everything that puts off "odors" gets a bit older. It actually goes away when the adhesives and stuff "cures".

We had this in a fancy dancy conversion van we had made a few moons ago. Loved the van, and it sure was a "purty" thing, BUT, they put the carpet down and the walls up with adhesives, and there was a lot of formaldahyde smelling fumes from those adhesives. It took about a year for that stuff to "cure". The hot summer days were great for curing, but, oh, man, oh, man, when you would open the van ya better stand back cause it was gonna blast you with smell and burning eyes!

Our 3295 had similar problem when we brought it home. The days that we could leave it open to air out, the smell was not too bad. Read that, as I could go in there and work IF there was a good breeze and the windows were all open. There were nights when we were camping that it was not warm enough to run the air, and too cool to open the windows, but I had one or two open anyway and slept with my nose right under an open one so I could breath.

So far, this summer it seems to be better, we have had a few hot days and I have gone out to the unit for something and not had that burning stinking sensation.

Obviously, my nose is not as sensitive as Sue's OR they used a TON more adhesives on your unit than they did ours. (IF the adhesives are the problem, which I am surmising they are, and I could be TOTALLY wrong!)

As difficult as this is, my take on this is, the more you can bake the unit inside to cure those adhesives, the faster the entire situation is gonna clear up.

That said, maybe Keystone is using something in their unit that other manufacturers don't. But, from our many plant tours (not just Keystone) over the years, it seems most of the manufacturers are getting a lot of their building supplies from the same suppliers. As we have all discussed a number of time on the forum, there are only a few suppliers of frigs, air conditioners, hot water heaters, power converters, fans, ovens, and parts for all these goodies.

I am not sure how many suppliers there are for things like curtains, carpets and furniture. How many for wall coverings?? That in mind, it would seem that other manufacturers are having trouble with fumes and smells. And our experience is, THEY ARE!!

Used units should have "cured", but we have been in any number of new units, Keystone built and otherwise that I cannot stay in except to run through (and I do mean RUN) and look at the floor plan cause within 3 minute my eyes are burning.

Not sure any of this helps Craig and Sue.

Again, not sure I am on the right track here, just relaying our experiences.

Good luck with this Craig and Sue, and let us know how you are doing.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 08:25 PM   #6
Montana_1190
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1190
Hi Craig, we talked about this before in PM's on the RV.net site. We just took delivery on our Mountaineer two weeks ago. I am also sensitive to the chemicals. If the 5er is closed up and the sun is out I get hit with the fumes and burning eyes. If it's open or the AC is running, it's okay...I think. I've been experiencing a wacky heartbeat since the day we brought it home....bad experience with the hitch...and don't know if this is from the chemicals, excitement or nervousness. We haven't taken it out on the shakedown cruise yet. Anyway, I sure do feel for you guys, I know how terribly disappointing this is for you!
Carolyn
Montana_1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 01:22 AM   #7
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
I recall this subject, I remember someone using coffee. They open a can of coffee and put it in some filters and placed them all around the unit for about a week. I'll do a search. Here it is.

http://www.forumco.com/montanaadmini...erms=new,smell,

Let us know how it go.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 03:12 AM   #8
Montana_513
Established Member

M.O.C. #513
We have tried all the suggestions including the coffee. They may mask the smell but do not remove the chemicals that Sue is sensitive to. Research shows heat will speed up the process and time is the solution. At present, we are letting the coach bake in the hot Texas sun and occasionally I bring it home and run the furnce to help heat up the ducts. The smell seems to be the worst in the ceiling/roof area. If I close it up and turn on the A/C, the smell is also bad. It may be time to cut my loses and sell the coach.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:35 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
CraigandSue, that's plenty long enough for that smell to dissipate. You have me wondering if way too much adhesive was used or perhaps was spilled on one side of the material and it soaked it up. Are you still in warranty where your dealer could start tracking the source of the smell? CountryGuy may have hit this nail on the head.

Or maybe they left a nearly empty container of adhesive up in the rafters.

CountryGuy, our Jayco Eagle had the same thing when new and it dissipated in about the same couple of weeks it took for both our Montanas. I've smelled this in a lot of brands' new rigs so suspect it's a common problem.

Old 06-18-2004, 01:42 PM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve and Craig,

Just for the record, I went out to the 5er today, temp about 80, medium humidity, unit closed up. I could smell just a LITTLE, very little of that burning formaldahyde stuff.

Our unit is now one year old.

I think a lot of this has to do with how sensitive you might be to that particular chemical (what ever it is, adhesive, etc.).

I am particularly sensitive to cigarette smoke (those of you that still smoke, this is NOT a slam of your life choices, please don't flame me, OK??).

I can be outside in the fresh air and if someone comes by with a cigarette a smokin away, I cannot breath. I can smell that stuff even 20 foot away. I have to tell you, it is a bother, I have a horrible time in some restaurants, and at large gatherings. I have almost an ashmatic response to smoke. (Yep, even campfires, SIGH)

Sue obviously is extremely senstive to this chemical, more than most of the rest of the population.

Sue, you have my sympathy, it has to be very discouraging and disheartening.

Steve's suggestion that they left "a nearly empty container of adhesive up in the rafters" is a very scary thought!

Good luck Craig and Sue, we'll be pulling and praying for ya!

Carol

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 05:08 AM   #11
Montana_464
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #464
I have read (on RV.NET) that a bowl full of amonia left in the trailer for a while will neutralize the smell.
I can not attest to that but I can relate to your problems with the odors. When we took ours out for the first time last July 4th we had the grandchildren with us and both of them spen the weekend sick as dogs. Olivia even baptized our carpet and we still have a stain we can't get out. Looking back on it keeping them in bed was the worst thing for them. We should have set up a tent for them outside but we didn't realize what was making them sick. After the trailer baked in our summer heat though the smell went away by labor day and the grand kids were fine for that weekend trip.
Montana_464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 03:34 AM   #12
Montana_513
Established Member

M.O.C. #513
Tried the ammonia trick early on. I may try it again.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:10 AM   #13
Montana_1615

M.O.C. #1615
2 suggestions I've heard from others:
1) Place a couple of open buckets/trays/platters/etc. of charcoal briquets in your unit at different spots in the rv. Leave them open so that as much air as possible can circulate over/around them. Supposed to absorb various odors/elements in the air. Replace each after a few days with a fresh batch to begin reabsorbing again.
2) Another is to open up a bottle of "Pine Sol" cleaner. Different spots as with the charcoal. Place in a glass or dish however; NOT anything styrofoam as it will dissolve the foam and leak onto whatever it's placed on. Of course, keep it high enough so that pets and little ones can't reach or grasp it.
*our M'neer has that same burning chemical but after a few days of open windows, ceiling fan and a/c fan going, it's getting better.
Montana_1615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 06:10 AM   #14
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
Craig and Sue, I still think there must be something unusual about yours. It almost sounds like you do get rid of the existing smell only to have it replaced by more of the same simply because whatever is causing this is still emitting the odors. Have you tried calling (phone) Keystone to discuss this with them? I think by now you've seen that for the rest of us this odor went away in a relatively short time. Just a suggestion but it sounds like time to ask Keystone to step to the plate on this one.
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 06:20 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Agree with HomeontheRoad on this one. It's been, what, well over a year(?) you've been unable to use the rig because of this odor? Surely there is something out of the ordinary occurring. I hope Keystone will grab the horns and get this one fixed for you.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:41 AM   #16
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HomeOnTheRoad

Craig and Sue, I still think there must be something unusual about yours. It almost sounds like you do get rid of the existing smell only to have it replaced by more of the same simply because whatever is causing this is still emitting the odors. Have you tried calling (phone) Keystone to discuss this with them? I think by now you've seen that for the rest of us this odor went away in a relatively short time. Just a suggestion but it sounds like time to ask Keystone to step to the plate on this one.
That or his wife has an allergy to something in the camper and is adversly affected by it. I too would call Keystone and have them look into the problem. Something has to be done with your unit because what't he use in having it if you can't use it?
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote