Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2004, 03:28 AM   #1
Montana_1699
Established Member

M.O.C. #1699
Montana quality

OK, let's try again. Our unit is almost three years old and we continue to have problems. The decals are turning up on the edges all over the trailer to the point that some are near falling off. This really looks bad and is getting a lot of peoples attention but it's only one of our problems. Exterior molding is turning dark brown,hardwood floor is scratched from table holddown screws that are too long, front cap has stress cracks in corner,breaker throws with AC and any other appliance,gas leak under sink, etc. The decals really suprise me and it looks like I'm going to have to fix it all myself. Dealer gets $90 per hour.
Any suggestions.
Thanks

Montana_1699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 04:45 AM   #2
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Call Keystone and voice your displeasure. I know they stand behind their product and I'm sure they wouldn't want the bad press. Start there and see what happens. I have no idea who you should contact but someone here on the forum does.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 06:06 AM   #3
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
http://www.keystone-goshen.com/press/nickeppert.pdf

Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 06:41 AM   #4
Montana_1699
Established Member

M.O.C. #1699
We have spent a lot of time talking to Keystone customer service. They recognize that there are quality problems with our trailer as does the dealer but it's out of warranty. They will fix the defects only if we bring the trailer to Goshen (their factory),at our expense. Thats 1200 miles one way and probably at least a week. Most of these problems started while the trailer was in warranty but that does't seem to matter. They may not want bad press but they are not acting like it.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:30 AM   #5
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Ok, so I understand you correctly, are you saying they are willing to replace / fix the decals at their expense IF you get the unit to their facility?
Old 06-17-2004, 07:41 AM   #6
Montana_1699
Established Member

M.O.C. #1699
Melissa, That is correct, bring the trailer to
goshen for repairs. I'm trying to get an e-mail address on Mr Eppert so I can send a photo. I don't think he will want this unit out on the road or in the parks.
Thanks
Old 06-17-2004, 07:44 AM   #7
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
The problem is at some time, the manufacture has to draw the line where warranty ends and good will ends. It can be a reputation issue for them, but once they start providing good will beyond normal warranty, they set a standard, therefore there must be a time frame when this too ends. There is always a usable life for certain parts, you should recieve fair value for your money expecting to get useful life from such a product or part, unfortuantly, thats not always the case, hence, the reason some manufactures provide good will, which sounds like they have in offering to make repairs if you bring it to them.
If it were mine, I would do one of two things, get it confirmed that if a make the trip, they are going to pay for and make the repairs, bite the bullet, go......other option of course, I would remove the decals myself and buff out the unit, and end up with a solid white rv. find a reputable fiberglass shop and have the stress cracks repaired, The other items can be repaired as needed. You will need to weigh the diff between the expense of the trip and what it would take to just make the repairs yourself. But before I would do that, they would know me well before folding my tent.
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 08:00 AM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
ddreed,

I know 1200 miles is quite a jaunt, but Goshen is a wonderful place, quite an experience at the repair facitlity AND you might get in a plant tour, which again is quite an experience.

They will treat you wonderful while you are there, will allow you to stay in the unit in the parking lot IF the slides are not out.

You don't have to sit there all day while they work on your unit, you can go shopping, drive around and enjoy the beautiful Amish country side, take in the plant tour, and talk about great places to eat?? YUM!

The gang there are hard workers, and very nice people, VERY NICE PEOPLE! They want you to be happy when you leave there. And, they are very aware that their job is an expensive amount of overhead on the accounting numbers at the end of the year for Keystone.

We saw one repair to the fiberglass that they did, it looked pretty good to me!

Anyway, you might want to give it some consideration, a long drive, but I'll take a trip to Goshen any time I can figure out a way to get there. Can you tell, I rather like the area?? YEP!

Good luck with your decision, let us know how it works out in the long run for you.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 08:03 AM   #9
Montana_1699
Established Member

M.O.C. #1699
Thanks much for your input. I have considered the options that you pointed out. I have always tried to use a simple rule, if it's my problem, I fix it, if it's their problem, they fix it. Problem is they have my money and now it's become my problem.
Thanks again.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:37 AM   #10
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Good luck with your decision, it won't be an easy one. Since you are indeed out of warranty and they are willing to fix the things for you (get it in writing) I would take it to the plant but that's just me. I'm sure the 1200 miles isn't something you want to do but it's not that bad, really. We drove from St. Paul, Minnesota to Whitefish, Montana in 2 days with 4 whining kids and were only able to go 60 mph because we were underpowered with our old TT.

I'd make it an adventure, new places to see..... but that's just me.

Why not just take the decals off as someone else suggested?
Old 06-17-2004, 11:50 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm not sure if this would be cost effective but you might be able to pay someone to get your FW to the factory and back. Some dealers have folks who bring the units to them from the factory. You wouldn't be there to oversee the work and would have to pay for the trip but at least you'd save the vacation time, etc. Just a thought. Not necessarily a good one, but maybe another option.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 12:36 PM   #12
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
All warranties have an end out date. Sounds like your's have expired, yet the manufacturer is still willing to resolve your issues. Sure, you have to make some concessions and drive to the plant in Goshen, but Keystone is willing to make you happy even beyond your warranty period. This is one of the reasons Keystone is the number one manuracturer - the customer is their number one priorty. My gosh, what more could a customer ask for??? Think of the trip as a vacation and enjoy the local attractions.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 03:26 PM   #13
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Had another thought .... why not schedule your Monty repairs during the rally in September and partake in the MOC camaraderie while your issues are being addressed by Keystone???
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 05:14 AM   #14
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
ddreed,
Another option to consider, maybe Keystone will replace the decals (graphics) at no charge and you could remove the old ones and replace with the new. The 1200 mile trip will take aproximately 120 gallons of fuel @ 1.85 per gallon = $222. Just a thought, good luck!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 01:08 PM   #15
Montana_1699
Established Member

M.O.C. #1699
Just an update for you guys that tried to give me some help. Lady RV has been great. It looks like I'm going to have to drag the unit 2400 miles round trip and they say that they will fix all of my problems-decals falling off, molding turning brown, breaker throwing, gas odor under sink, stress cracks in front cap, scratches in hardwood floor from table screws, and rusty screws all around exterior, etc. I will also have them check the frame and suspension. Is there anything else that I should watch for on this rig. Thanks again for any suggestions.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:47 PM   #16
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
ddreed,

Have a great trip!! We have been where you are going, and it was a very good experience, well worth the time, effort and $$ spent.

Here's hoping you have a uneventful and pleasant drive and all repairs make you happy.

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 08:43 AM   #17
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ddreed

Just an update for you guys that tried to give me some help. Lady RV has been great. It looks like I'm going to have to drag the unit 2400 miles round trip and they say that they will fix all of my problems-decals falling off, molding turning brown, breaker throwing, gas odor under sink, stress cracks in front cap, scratches in hardwood floor from table screws, and rusty screws all around exterior, etc. I will also have them check the frame and suspension. Is there anything else that I should watch for on this rig. Thanks again for any suggestions.
I'm glad you decided to make the trip and I feel they are being overly reasonable to fix the things you have listed since you are out of warranty. You might want to tell them about your dealer and how they aren't willing to help you. If enough people complain maybe they won't be authorized to sell Montana's in the future.

Congrats and good luck on the trip. Have you decided when you are going?
Old 06-23-2004, 10:00 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dennis & Jean, I don't know how long you'll be near the factory but there's several posts in MOC about things to see and do in the area. We really enjoyed the area.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 10:44 AM   #19
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Good for you, Im glad you decided to make the trip, they will feel a little pain taking care of your issues, but by doing this, it add's to their overall warranty costs. And at the end of their fiscal year the bean counters look at that. Maybe if the numbers are high enough it will force the manufacturing process to impliment more stringent quality control measures.Most all manufacture's do look at those cost's. Each unit they build has a certain price reflected to cover a certain amount of warranty repairs. And they budget accordingly. Increaseing the sale price is not always the answer, It can put them out of the market, therfore quality has to be improved.
Enjoy your trip and make it fun!!!!
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 11:05 PM   #20
Montana_1305
Established Member

M.O.C. #1305
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Melissa and Mike S

Call Keystone and voice your displeasure. I know they stand behind their product and I'm sure they wouldn't want the bad press. Start there and see what happens. I have no idea who you should contact but someone here on the forum does.
Talk to any one of the rep's and I'm sure they'll help you any way they can. I've had good luck with them on a slide-out problem I was having.
Montana_1305 is offline   Reply With Quote