Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2008, 05:13 PM   #1
tgrucelski
Established Member

M.O.C. #7552
2008 Home Theater/ DVD

Greetings,

I'm curious to know if Keystone has upgraded the Home Theater/dvd player for the '08's now coming off the line to one that actually works or if it's still the same no-brand unit; was looking at the new literature the other day and thought I saw something about a new home theater system.

Our 3400 was built last August as an '08 and I've exchanged the unit once already, the second one is doing the usual thing: locking up during disc playback or the "fail to load disc".

Thought I might try to do another exchange if they are putting in something more reliable.

Any new owners out there to comment on this?

Cheers,

T. Grucelski

tgrucelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:45 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I just looked at the Anniversary Edition models, and noticed the same old Quest QV4000 model I have in our 2007 (also replaced once). Sorry.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
I am currently waiting for my fifth unit under warranty. I know, I am stubborn. Might as well use up the warranty, right? I called Keystone and asked if there was an upgrade and they said no. Asked if there seemed to be a problem with these units and she said she was unaware of any. Oh well, as soon as the warranty expires, I will get a good unit for our home theatre
muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
I have my DVD/Tuner replaced twice and it still doesn't work right. I am not very happy with the unit. I contacted Keystone and they say they have not been having a problem with this. I find that hard to believe. If anyone else has problems please tell us about it. I would like to take a printed copy of this thread to my dealer when I take it back for a third time. thank you Chuck
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Our 08 Big Sky came with a LG dvd/home theater. It too stops half way through some DVDs, all have been commercial DVDs none home recorded. In most cases if you stop or pause the movie than you have to start it over as it will refuse to run again after a pause.. The brochure said a "5 DVD/CD changer/ home theater" what we got was a One DVD/CD. Just another item going back for warranty work..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Our 08 anniversity model (3075) came with a differet sound system. I is not a Quest but I don't remember the brand. At least it works very well for now. More than I can say for the one in my 06 2955.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:42 PM   #7
bjlks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4218
OUR BIG SKY CAME WITH LG/DVD HOME THEATER SO FAR SO GOOD BUT TIME WILL TELL.
bjlks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:51 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Go to Best Buy and get a system that works, throw the junk away. I couldn't put up with the problems you guys have. More patience than I have. Better yet, send the junk back to Keystone.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:22 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Now there's an Idea. Send all junk back to the CEO of Keystone.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:39 AM   #10
up2nogood
Established Member

M.O.C. #8293
Had the same problem with my 2005 2980RL DVD would work some of the time then just quit playing, replaced it with the same model from Keystone, was working when I sold it.I wanted to buy a aftermarket could not find one with the A&B speaker selector, does anyone know a brand that has this feature ???? I want to get prepared for when the new one in my 2008 3400RL goes bad.It looks like the same one that I replaced in my 2005. I could never find a aftermarket replacement with the A&B speaker selector
up2nogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:16 AM   #11
mcculloe
Established Member

M.O.C. #7259
Just got my early 08 3400RL back from warranty. Among a few other things, the DVD player (which was already on its second) was also on the list. Is doing the bad disc thing. They replaced it again yesterday, and again with the same old no name 4000 model. So as of yesterday, nothing new.

And don't get me started on the television. Just got my second one yesterday. First one would lock up, so that none of the buttons worked -- all you could do was unplug it and plug it back in.
mcculloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:27 PM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I've had Yamaha equip for years and you can select several speakers, most of the high end units have that possibility. I think everyone should send bad parts to Keystone CEO, Maybe that will wake someone up, especially these cheap a__ electronic parts......I donated mine to an Airmans attic at Travis AFB, CA. Almost hated to give our GI's junk but at least they worked when I turned them in. If any of you are near a military base of some sort they always have a thrift shop of some kind to donate to, only caveat is the equipment must work. Help a young GI family out, they could use it on their pay.....
Old 04-17-2008, 03:43 PM   #13
paulandrita

M.O.C. #8266
I'll add my two cents.... Got our '08 2955 in January and the mechanic said "I'll be seeing you within a couple of months to get the DVD player replaced...they're a piece of cow manure...(well he didn't say cow manure, but I don't think what he really said would pass muster) and I have to replace it with the same thing...Keystone won't do an upgrade." Thought he was kidding... but it's stopped dead, and I'm going to own the DVD locked inside it if I can't get it out and back to Blockbuster (and it wasn't that great of a movie)! Sounds like I'd be better off just forgeting about the warranty and get a brand name one that works. Too bad that Keystone has taken the "there's no problem with the unit" stance... we enjoy the RV and the DVD is just an unnecessary hasle that a couple of extra bucks on Keystone's part would make a great RV experience even better.

Paul and Rita
paulandrita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #14
mcculloe
Established Member

M.O.C. #7259
So to those who have replaced their factory installed unit with something else, were there any brand / model recommendations that stick out --- would seem like almost anything would fit inside that slot, but not sure. And, one of the questions I would have is how did you hold down the new one. It seems the factory one does have a tray to do that job. Thanks in advance.
mcculloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:25 PM   #15
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
While I understand that one person received "direct" feedback in the form of a customer service representative who (allegedly) speaks for the company and its knowledge of (or lack thereof) consistent/recurring problems with specific equipment it uses in its units...it is only one voice and based on what I undertand from this thread its not even known where in the "food chain" this particular individual resides. Further, it appears the entertainment "system" or more specifically, the DVD/CD player are the source of the discontent and consistent failure point for a large number (if not all) of the members of the forum (at least those who are contributing to this thread) MAYBE you all could band together and create a letter to management (specifically the CEO, along with the heads of Customer Service, Marketing, and Procurment and anyone else that may seem appropriate) that you all send -- along with your specific experiences (e.g., time for failure, number of times sought/received replacement via warranty and/or when you replaced the unit at your own expense) as well as your (reasonable) expectations as customers.

Its my impression that this group has a pretty good rapport with a number of representatives of the company and the company itself seems to be interested enough in this group to support/sponsor rallies held nearby the manufacturing plant. Why not try leveraging these relationships, along with our power over the company as customer/owners (via our dollars, repeat business, and word of mouth both positive AND negative) to get them to make some better choices not only for us the customer but the company itself...as my Dad says, "It takes one "awe sh**" to do away with a thousand "atta boys"!" and a "little" thing like a consistently failing entertainment system can have a long term effect on the desirability of the unit and company name/product. Lack of quality in the "add ons" to the units can (and frequently does) reflect as to the quality in the units themselves.

Just my two cents worth! Trust me, if/as I have problems covered by warranty or not I will be writing directly to the company (read CEO) to voice not only my displeasure, but my suggestion(s) for improvements/corrections. (Another thing my Dad taught me is that when you present a problem to management include a solution...it normally results in being "heard" and frequently your suggestion is taken on board and used!) Talking amongst ourselves certainly helps us with regard to our frustration levels and lets us know we aren't alone in our experiences, but letting the people in power know our concerns, the reasons for our concerns, and our ideas for improvements MIGHT actually result in change for the better.

Whew! I'm tired! Guess that means I need to get off the soap box!

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:06 AM   #16
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
What do you do about the radio if you replace the one that is in there?
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:46 AM   #17
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Erik and Amanda, I went with a Yamaha 7.1 surround sound AV Receiver and a Samsung Upconvert DVD Recorder. Go to Best Buy and talk to their home theater people. You could set a price and they will work something up for you. I use a lashing strap that I screwed each end to the sides of the cabinet and cinch it down over all three pieces, Direct HDTV Receiver also.

Waldo, If you buy a AV Receiver it will have the radio built in, We're talking modern technology here........
Old 04-18-2008, 06:09 AM   #18
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
TrueI was thinking old school.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #19
Gary Christy
Established Member

M.O.C. #7469
Well my turn to vent. Same story as rest, after two units that did not work. Now have a third one, setting in closet. Check out the Panosonic sc-pt650 at circuit city or best buy. It is the speakers and all, could not find just the all in one unit buy itself. Fits in the slot nicely just a little longer than the quest but not a problem. Did use the pan speakers for the rear and the sub woofer, much better sub. Also upgrades dvd to 1020 hd. As for the a-b speakers. Installed a auto 12vdc radio for the bed rm speakers. Use sirus for them most of the time. If I want music throughout te unit tune both to same chanel. Also have a radio for dry camping then, with the auto radio. Have a good camping season and be safe to all
Gary
Gary Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #20
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
If you have High Definition Television Receiver (HDTV) take a look at the Sony Blue Ray player. The quality is amazing, but the unit is very pricey. Eventually Blue Ray will come down in price, but if something happens to my present DVD - Blue Ray it will be and I'll move it from Hanna to Stick House and back when needed.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote