Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived - Forum Information and Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2008, 04:07 AM   #1
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Need help searching a forum.

Every time I try to search on a subject I get nuthin! Example: I came across a post that was related to curling graphics. One respondent commented that there were several past posts on the subject and suggested going to search forums and putting graphics in the search box. I thought to myself.......Self, this is for me! I did as instructed and I sat there with an hourglass for a long time (5 minutes) I decided I was not going to give up this time and let her sit for an hour. Still nuthin. I cancelled the search and selected a single forum to reduce the size of the search area. Still Nuthin. I use Firefox if that info is needed. I have tried many searches with different search criteria and get the same result. Any ideas?
Thanks,
John S

WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
John,
I'm not sure what your problem may be. Could be slow computer, but that would most likely do a "Page Not Found."

I just did a search on the word "graphics," and had 24 threads come up.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:09 AM   #3
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
When you click on the search button in the top R/H corner, make sure the next page (where you put "graphics") has "any date" in the box for "search by date" (or some period of time you want to search)
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Hi Guys,
Well, this is what I've found so far. First I tried putting graphics and selected subject only instead of search every post and in every post look for the word graphic. I got two hits. Then I put a check mark in the archive box and got 4 hits. All this was checking all forums. Then I tried each forum one at a time. Pretty time consuming but I got the same 4 hits as I checked each forum. Finally I don't have a zoom zoom machine but it's fairly fast. I have an 8 meg DSL download speed and 3 meg up so speed shouldn't be an issue at my end. I must be doing something different because I never got 24 hits like Waynem did. I just tried another search on brake shoes and got nothing. I tried brake and got two hits with the archive box checked. I'm sure there has been lots of discussion concerning brakes. It looks like a person has to buy backing plate with shoes and magnet to the tune of about $60.00 a wheel. Seems like you ought to be able to just buy a set of shoes turn the drums for cheap and be done with it. Any Idea or direction to get to that type of thread?
Thanks,
John S.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:32 AM   #5
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
OK, I think I figured it out!!
This weekend my laptop died so I am using my wife's laptop. Today I decided to search information on brake shoes using her machine. I logged in, put in the search information, and ShaZam! All kinds of information popped up. The difference? Roxanne uses Internet Explorer. On my laptop I use Firefox. I installed Firefox on her laptop and I got the same result as on my laptop using Firefox. Long wait with the hourglass with little or no response. It seems the MOC search engine dosen't like Firefox as much as Internet Explorer. I also got more choices in forum type. If someone in the future asks the same question be sure and suggest they try IE.
Regards,
John S
Old 04-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
John S,
I don't want to bust anyone's bubble, but I use Firefox for all my browsing. The search I did was with Firefox.

But hey! If IE is what you need, then IE is what you would have to use. But, I can't figure out why Firefox would not work for you.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:53 PM   #7
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
I also use Firefox as my browser. Speed and security are just a couple of reasons I like it. Nevertheless, the fact is that on two seperate laptops Firefox and the MOC search engine acted the same way. I don't understand the busted bubble comment. The purpose of my post was not to promote Firefox or knock IE but to help others that might have the same problem. Win XP pro and Win XP Home on these two laptops. What OS are you using?
Regards,
John S.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:44 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I have XP Pro and use Firefox, and I find the search engine works good at times, and other times will do nothing. I don't think the computer speed has anything to do with it; merely from the fact I just switched from a 500 Celeron to a 3 Ghz processor with about the same results in searching.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:57 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
John S,
The bust your bubble comment was just that and not intended to offend, just the opposite - to not offend.

I'm using a Toshiba Satellite with an Intel 1.6Ghz processor with 412Mb RAM on Windows XP Home.

Using IE or Firefox, if for example I click on the "Archives," icon i will receive the following:

"Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e31'

Timeout expired

/forum.asp, line 334"

This is not a problem with Firefox or IE, but of the provider of the forum being unable to process the request.

I have had problems with searches also, but I beleive it is not a problem of our(my) software.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:46 AM   #10
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Understood, No offense taken. 1 1/2 yrs in the Army working daily with III MAF in Phu Bai VN created thick skin.
In addition to duties as Microwave Radio Tech for a telco I provide computer tech support and training for the local offices. If I can collect enough clues I will try to duplicate the trouble then isolate and resolve. The common point here at home is HP and Compaq machines and one has an AMD Turion64 processor the other Intel. I'll do my best to find a solution and share when I do.
Thanks for the info,
John S
Old 04-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Remember "GIGO!"
Old 04-29-2008, 02:43 PM   #12
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
MEGO (My eyes glaze over) or GIGO (Garbage in garbage out)

Is GIGO Garbage in Garbage out like MEGO My eyes glaze over?
Old 04-30-2008, 05:07 AM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
You got it.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:15 AM   #14
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WorkerB

Understood, No offense taken. 1 1/2 yrs in the Army working daily with III MAF in Phu Bai VN created thick skin.
In addition to duties as Microwave Radio Tech for a telco I provide computer tech support and training for the local offices. If I can collect enough clues I will try to duplicate the trouble then isolate and resolve. The common point here at home is HP and Compaq machines and one has an AMD Turion64 processor the other Intel. I'll do my best to find a solution and share when I do.
Thanks for the info,
John S
John S.
3RD MAR DIV Sep 67 to Oct 68. Phu Bai and Dong Ha after the TET offensive.
Semper FI,
John K.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:51 AM   #15
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Hi John K,

XXIV Corps attached 101 Airborne Sgt. E-5
Phu Bai, Hue, DaNang June 68 - November 69
Spent most of my time driving convoy's from Hue through the mountains to DaNang.
John S.