Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2007, 01:43 PM   #1
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Tire blow out

Colin and I were driving down the interstate in Virginia today when there was a very loud bang, I said I hope that wasn't us. We pulled off the road, I got out, there was a very bad smell of rubber and the back wheel on the passenger side had lost the entire tread. No damage to the wheel, a little damage to the plastic on the large slide but no other problems. Now we have a question, as we are Canadian we are not sure of prices for new tires. We intend to replace all of them here in the States. Also anyone who has replaced their tires what make did you replace them with. Your help would be appreciated. Diana

DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:23 PM   #2
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Colin, there will be a few ewxpert MOC FOLK'S on this in a few moments to help you out... There has been a great deal of disscussion on tire's, lately... Lonnie B and a few others that deal with tire's all the time, will come on to help you. Just HANG ON...
Safe travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
DiananColin,

I'm not up with tire prices on the east side of the US, but it will depend on the size, type, and brand. I would suggest a name brand, readily available, ST or LT. You should be able to find what you need for 150.00 to 185.00.

I'm sure there are other members that have bought tires recently in that part of the country that will come along and give you a better answer.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:03 PM   #4
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Just a sugesstion.
I blew two tires in Idaho in a town that only had one tire store and 60 miles to next town. He had two sets of tires, a brand I did not know and a set of Cooper tires.
The date on the Cooper tires was four years old and still in the place. Needless to say I took the others since they were only months old and they have give me two years of service.
Point is, make sure the date on the tires is recent and not something they want to unload on someone.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:20 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I replaced mine with a brand from Les Schwab called Towmax. I chose the dealer rather than the tire. Les Schwab is everywhere and service is quick. Tires are ST's and I think they were $112. US each. This company is great for continued service. Need rotating, just pull in, need repair, just pull in, need brake adjustment, just pull in. Can't beat the service and they stand behind everything they sell. If you have Missions on your Monty, there may be some warranty left by TireCo. Someone should have the phone number....Good luck!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:53 PM   #6
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rvbrochure.pdf

Check this out, pg 7. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:31 PM   #7
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Thanks to all - we ended up with a Cooper tire supplied by Blacks Tire Service in New Bern NC. Very happy with their service and comforted by the fact they are throughout the Carolinas.

Turns out that Tacoma tires are supplied by a Wholesaler and they are actually Cooper tires - which is part of Goodyear - which end of the range are they likely to be?

Now we are in the runaround trying to get satisfaction from Goodyear for an event that caused some damage to our rig and was not of our making!
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:11 AM   #8
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Thanks for the post John. I have Tacoma tires on our coach. With over 20K on them I guess I should be getting them off soon. Maybe on the way to Tx.
I noticed SOB high end coach had Goodyear X14 G rated tires (or something like that) on them.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:22 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bill, if you go to G rated tires don't forget your rims are not rated to handle the 110 psi or whatever the G maxes at. You could probably still run 80 psi but check the weight charts to make sure 80 psi in those tires meets the weight ratings. Those G rated tires I bet are pretty stiff and may cause a harsher ride? Does anyone know?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:46 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Hi Jim,
I finally felt up to changing our water pump this morning. Except for the spilled water (which I'm drying up now with a fan), it went well. Took me about 20 minutes all told.

Weather here today has been misting ever since about 6 am and it looks like it will continue.

Hope everything's going okay for you guys and that you haven't hit any bad weather. Temperatures here have dropped quite a bit. Daytime is 52° while night s are down in the high 30's to low 40's.

Still don't know for sure just when we will be at the Ranch. Marge now says she'd like to be there early December and then leave before Christmas to spend some time down in Why, AZ with a group of Christian Escapees.

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:21 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have Cooper on our 3400. We have used Cooper tires for many years on various vehicles. The Cooper brand is a Made in USA brand. In fact there is a factory here in Ohio. Cooper does make tires "overseas" but not under the Cooper brand. We purchased the Coopers for the camper because you can get them most anywhere in North America. Most Goodyear stores carry them.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:02 PM   #12
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
I looked at different brands including goodyear for trailer towing tires and found that even goodyear marathons are made in china. If you stick with the specs on the tire it is hard to find a USA made tire for trailers. Rich what size tire did you use? I looked at cooper and i did't find a 235/80r/16 with the 3500 lbs load e rating on there site. I went with a Transmaster/Tourmaster had the same specs. as the Missons.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:19 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I used the Cooper SRMII Radial Lt LT 235/85/R16E
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:44 PM   #14
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Good choice Rich, Cooper makes a very good tire. I don't really care for the Cooper ATR, but the rest of their tires perform very well.

pud2, I still haven't got any reliable info on the Transmaster/Tourmaster. A couple of the distributors I buy from, and trust when it comes to acurate information, are checking into them.

pparamore, I have sold several of the Towmax trailer tires, and haven't heard many complaints. They aren't bad for what they cost.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:53 PM   #15
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Rich
Why would you drop down too a lower rated load tire than what was orignal on rv? Unless your 3400 is not reguiring the 3500 lbs. load but i would think your and my rv's are close in specs weight wise. I was looking at your tires on cooppers site and they are only rated for 3000 lbs. and ther tire info page says to always use the same as oem specs.
Lonnie
Being being in the tire business and being a rver what is your take on this? I personally wanted to stay with same specs. as oem. I like cooper tires a Whole lot and would have gone that route if they offered same specs.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:05 PM   #16
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Lonnie where are the towmax tires made?
Old 10-13-2007, 04:49 PM   #17
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
pud2, you asked for my take on this so I'll give it. I have had, and I have seen way too many failures with ST rated tires. I don't trust them, and I won't use them any longer than I have to. This is only my opinion and I am in no way telling you what you should do, that is something you have to decide for yourself.

The tires Rich put on his trailer are rated for 3042 lbs. at max 80 psi. The tires I'm putting on mine are the same size, and load as his, just a different brand. I don't know what your trailer weighs, but only about 80% of that is actually carried by the tires, so you may not need tires rated for 3500 lbs. I can also tell you, Rich doesn't do ANYTHING without a tremendous amount of research, and if he put tires rated for 3042 lbs. load on his 3400, they are more than adequate.

Towmax? I believe they are made in China. I will verify that Monday morning.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:26 AM   #18
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Thanks Lonnie
Old 10-15-2007, 01:08 AM   #19
ScottyID

M.O.C. #7780
Last Thursday, 10/11/07, westbound on US84 in Valdosta, GA a passing motorist pointed at us and mouthed "FLAT TIRE". We pulled over and found that like DiananColin the rear passanger tire was gone except the tire bead. The shackles holding the front of the spring were sheared off as well. We neither heard nor felt anything. Fortunately shackles were found and spare used to get us to a campground.

A local tire company ordered a set of Maxxis UE168 (LT235/85R16) tires, $133per, the same size as the existing Tacoma Trail AWT tires. He recommended them over Coopers, $132 per. Presumably they are to be in today, Monday, for installation. I've never heard of them before. Weekend research on the web shows only 1 Maxxis dealer in all of the Northwest (home area). Warranty statement seems to imply that trailers are excluded from treadwear warranty. Anyone heard of Maxxis? Are they a good tire? The only info on Tacoma I could find was in German.

The blowout not only broke the shackles but took out part of the cowling and the plastic cover decoration. The towing company found the shackles locally as opposed to the RV place quoting 4-6 weeks. Allen at A-1 towing was GREAT!!!!! (Shackles might be the wrong term).

Anxious in Valdosta...just joined after finding this web site.

We're on an 8000 mile trip now returning from East coast to final destination in AZ.

Thanks for any input you might have!!!

ScottyID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:26 AM   #20
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Scotty, I sell a lot of Maxxis Buckshot Mudders and haven't seen anything bad with them. If the tires you were sold are as good as the mudders, you should have pretty good luck with them. I haven't heard anything bad from anyone else either.