Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2007, 04:14 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Humming propane tank

Last night Helen heard what sounded like a humming sound from the front of the camper.I went outside and found that the noise, best described as a humming or vibrating sound was coming from the door side propane tank...looked at the regulator and the tank indicated empty (red) turned the noisy tank off and all was well . This AM we pulled the empty tank and it was to heavy to be empty..anyhow we re installed the tank and switched over to it....It indicated green , makes no noise and all is well.....Any ideas..or has this happened before... Never had this in all our years of camping and propane tanks...Air bubble in tank???? regulator going bad ???? Hope this is not another item for our growing service center fix list..

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:19 AM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Thats strange. just a Question when you hooked them back up and opened the valves was the red indicater still red, or untill you fliped the regulator selector switch?
Old 02-13-2007, 04:40 AM   #3
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Sounds like maybe the saftey valve lifted and was vibrating trying to let a little gas out. oops Now that there is a funny..... Sorry Rich couldn't let that one go by........ROTFLMAO

Seriously I have had that happen on my barbi 20 pound tank and that is what the propane guy told me.
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:52 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"Thats strange. just a Question when you hooked them back up and opened the valves was the red indicater still red, or untill you fliped the regulator selector switch?" When I hooked the humming tank back up and switched over to it it came up green. It did not humm when I switched over to the full tank last night???
Old 02-13-2007, 04:55 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Rich,

Wonder if it was frost buildup in the orifice? Did you notice any frost on the tank valve or regulator? It would have thawed out when you shut the tank off.

Depending on the weather, (warm) our regulator would turn snow white with frost.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:10 AM   #6
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
I really think it does have something to do with the saftey valve inside the tank. Mine are real touchy if the line is not under presure it will pick up the saftey valve and cut the tank off. Try opening the tank when it is very quiet you can hear the safety valve lift and cut off the supply. I believe that the safety valve will rise to a point where the gas still gets by but creates the sound. If you shut it off let the valve sink back down open it very slowly let the gas equalize in the line the sound may go away. I found this with the 20 pounder on my barbi and not all valves will make the sound.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:36 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It does not get very cold in Apache Junction, Az..It was maybe in the low 50's last night.We will keep a eye or ear on it.Several I asked in the RV park voted for the safety valve as the culprit.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:47 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Rich,

The frost on ours developed when it was hot outside and we were consuming a lot of LP (hot water tank running). Humidity has something to do with it, but not sure if it's dry or humid conditions that causes it. The frost is the result of the liquid transferring to vapor, and the pressure differential in the regulator, just like the hose frosting on the vehicle AC when its real hot outside.

It may very well be the safety valve though - frost was just a thought I had after seeing ours turn into a snowball.

Brad
Old 02-13-2007, 02:26 PM   #9
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
richfaa

We had the same noise with the propane in our 07 Mountaineer and we're in McAllen TX and the temp. was in the 60's. I just let it run, it seemed to get louder the more propane we used, I turned the range on and off and that made it quit. (Strange)

Larry & LaVonne
Old 02-13-2007, 02:45 PM   #10
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Rich,

We have had the same problem on both the Monty as well as our grill for the stick house. By removing the hose from the bottle and retightening it the problem went away. These new valves seem to be very picky about how that end seats into the valve body. If there is any dust on the end of that valve stem on the hose, it will not seat properly and you will get some leakage. Just enough to cause that humming sound, but not enough to empty the tank and trigger the safety valve inside the tank. Sometimes all it takes is to remove the hose from the tank, clean the end of the hose's end fitting and screw it back on to the tank and tighten.

Go figure! Just love these new valves - NOT!

EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:52 PM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I know these safety valves seem like a pain, but it's comforting knowing that if they launch in an accident the contents of the tank won't be migrating back into the cab of my truck while I'm upside down in the ditch. I'll tolerate them.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:17 PM   #12
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Point well taken! But they are still a pain!
EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:43 PM   #13
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Brad, NO LAUNCHING ALLOWED on the MOC we do not approve or recomend these type of stunts! They must be done by professionals........

Old 02-13-2007, 06:48 PM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
hahahaha - believe me Tom, I prefer the wheels on the ground going straight. I still get chills down the spine thinking of that Monty smashed all over I-25 two weeks ago! I'd be curious if he actually ruptured a line and if the safety valves engaged.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:56 AM   #15
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Rich, when the tank was humming, could you make out the tune, LOL?
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:11 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Shave and a hair cut....two bits..Ha..well removing the tank and hooking it back up solved the huummmming..probably a combination of all the above... We are learning so much about living in and with a camper on our first longtiming adventure as well as wringing all the bugs out of the 3400. Rv'ing is such fun...
Old 02-14-2007, 05:45 AM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Rich - Glad you got it fixed. I see many posts of LP issues, but thank goodness it seems to me they all get fixed with a little fiddling. Haven't heard of anyone having to actually replace major parts.