Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
IU Fan
Established Member

M.O.C. #6629
Mulitple Batteries - Correct Installation Help

We have a 2007 Mountaineer and it came with only 1 12v battery....it seems to me that it should have at least 2 so I'd like to add another one...can anyone tell me if they have done so and if advisable to do so....how should they be hooked together??

Thanks!

IU Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:40 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Welcome to the Forum IU Fan!

I would absolutely go to 2 batteries. You should have enough room. For 12V batteries, Connect a new cable between the two (+) posts, and another new cable between the two (-) posts (referred to as a parallel connection), just like you would hook up jumper cables. The rest of your Monty hookups remain where they are.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We bought our Monty off the lot. It has 2 batteries. We thought it came from the factory that way as each battery is in a battery box that are alike. Now we have decided this is something the dealer did. However they did not use heavy enough cables (10). So there is room to do it but make sure you use the right cable (I think 6 but I'm not sure). You can purchase the battery boxes at CW or an auto supply place.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:10 PM   #4
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I agree with Brad you should have two batteries, one doesn't last long very long.
Be sure to get another battery box and vent it like the existing box is, vent in bottom of the box and vent pipe on top hook to the existing vent pipe.
Welcome to the MOC family
Don
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:35 PM   #5
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
I have 6 batteries in mine all hooked up in parallel as stated before now equiped with a 1800watt inverter and it works perfect can run the tv and sat. all evening without the gen running
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 05:39 AM   #6
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Gadzooks!! (An old exclamation) How much do 6 batteries weigh, and how much space is left for storage in the compartment??? You're almost into the "hybrid" category!

Do you have solar panels for recharging? That would make it the uptimate boondock machine..
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 05:51 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Don,

Interesting point on the bottom vent. I thought that was just a drain for spills.

Tomorrow I was installing the Blue Sea twin golf cart battery box in lieu of the old one, and was just going to vent it out the top. The box is for marine, and doesn't have the lower hole, however boat engine compartments have thier own mechanical vent system. Guess I better look at trying to vent to the bottom. Probably would give a place for the air being rammed down the front vent on the Monty a place to go other than inside the compartment.

Brad
Old 02-10-2007, 06:16 AM   #8
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Brad, My dealer install the second batter before delivery, and it appears a hole saw was used to drilled through the battery box and compartment floor at the same time. My son in-law installed 2 6 volt batteries in his RV, and I still have trouble understanding the reverse the wiring concept (+ to - and - to + ). I know that is how you get 12 volts, but hooking thing up backward doesn't seem right. I guess I am just a 120 volt sparky, not a 12 volt.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:18 AM   #9
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Agree with the others, get a battery box and vent it. The way Brad said to connect the batteries (be sure you get heavy enough cable) doubles the amps but leaves the voltage at 12, the way it should be.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:45 AM   #10
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I have posted this image several times, but it seems relevant again:

Click on this link for some notes on installation:

http://www.dw4u.net/box.doc

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:07 AM   #11
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Hook + to + and - to - to give you 12 volts in parrallel. It is best to hook one of your rv leads to + on one battery and - on the other battery. Remember your bateries are only as good as the weakest battery
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:20 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by patodonn

Gadzooks!! (An old exclamation) How much do 6 batteries weigh, and how much space is left for storage in the compartment??? You're almost into the "hybrid" category!

Do you have solar panels for recharging? That would make it the uptimate boondock machine..
I don't know how much six 12-Volt batteries weigh, but my two Lifeline D* batteries weigh 150# each! I know, I know, it adds to the pin weight but it's been that way for over three years and everything is working fine. I have room in the compartment to carry an extra 7 gal propane tank and various 30 and 50 amp cables.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:02 PM   #13
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hookman

Hook + to + and - to - to give you 12 volts in parrallel. It is best to hook one of your rv leads to + on one battery and - on the other battery. Remember your bateries are only as good as the weakest battery
That is right for 12 volt batteries, but if you choose to use two 6 volt golf cart batteries, they need to be connected + to -.

Why use 6 volt? each one is lighter than the equivalent size 12 volt, therefore easier to handle.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:08 PM   #14
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
You are carrying an extra 7 Gal propane tank in the same compartment with 6 batteries?

I think I'll maintain a respectable distance on the highway...100 yds or so might do it...

I can guarantee that some folks, besides me, might find that very "interesting" and even a bit "risky".

Absolutely JMHO. Then again, I do tend to try to err on the side of "safe" a bit more than many other folks.

As the old Sarg always said on "Hill Street Blues" You all be CAREFUL out there!!
Old 02-10-2007, 02:22 PM   #15
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OntMont

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hookman

That is right for 12 volt batteries, but if you choose to use two 6 volt golf cart batteries, they need to be connected + to -.

Why use 6 volt? each one is lighter than the equivalent size 12 volt, therefore easier to handle.

Six volt golf batteries are the toughest around. They are noted for being able to take deep discharges, high amp draws and constant vibration. The are capable of 700 complete discharge/charge cycles before losing half their capacity. Actually most are a bit heavier than 12v batteries. My marine catalog has two...one weighs 64 and the other 113 lbs. When combined in series, two six volt batteries make the 12 volts we need.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:25 PM   #16
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
David,

Thanks for posting your pic and notes! Confirms to me I need to vent out the bottom. I may use a hole saw larger than the lower vent tube and just cut the one out of the original battery box so it has a flange to hold it in the new box.

Now I'm curious about the fit - never thought about that shelf in there. Them golf cart batteries are tall!
Old 02-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #17
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by patodonn

You are carrying an extra 7 Gal propane tank in the same compartment with 6 batteries?

I think I'll maintain a respectable distance on the highway...100 yds or so might do it...

I can guarantee that some folks, besides me, might find that very "interesting" and even a bit "risky".

Absolutely JMHO. Then again, I do tend to try to err on the side of "safe" a bit more than many other folks.

As the old Sarg always said on "Hill Street Blues" You all be CAREFUL out there!!
I think you misread my post about the batteries. My batteries (two 12-volt batteries weighing 150 lbs each) do not fill up the compartment. It allows me to carry an extra 7 gal propane tank, either empty or full, as well as a various assortment of 30 and 50 amp cables. Carrying the extra propane tank is not a problem as it is clamped down in the compartment just like the other two are clamped down. If you're afraid of me on the road, well.....I don't think you have to be. At least I don't go down the road with my propane tanks turned on like many have said they do.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:02 PM   #18
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
no no no I built a batt box with a vent on the right side of the storage compartment and use a external gen a honda se5500 sits in the tv all is well in the monty have no desire to blow up lol six batts work great for boon docking just run the gen in the day time to charge up also have a batt A/B switch can run either bank of batts or all we do a ton of boondocking and it's the best way to do it and not uses as much gen gas
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:24 PM   #19
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Tryin to stay on topic Orv, but there is a good reason those LP compartments don't have floors. Valves fail, relief valves relieve, slide relays arc, landing gear motors spark......makes discussion about venting batteries to the outside seem trivial.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:18 AM   #20
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Orv...sorry..I thought you were the fellow with 6 batteries in the front compartment...plus the extra propane!!

Lots of things other folks do that I don't, and vise-versa, but that makes it different, not wrong, and it is all opinion (for the most part). Just be safe..