Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2006, 01:14 PM   #1
cindik
Established Member

M.O.C. #4457
Broken ladder on Monty

We took a trip over the Christmas holidays, and were hauling 2 bikes on a ladder bike carrier. Well, our ladder broke, and we have put off replacing it. Went to the local dealer where we bought our Montana. Yes, they can order us a new ladder for only 110.00, Great, price was less than we expected. Then we find out the shipping will be 125.00. Cost more to ship that the price of the ladder. Wow! We can almost drive to the factory and pick it up cheaper. Have any of you had to replace your ladder or do you know of any other place to get it with a cheaper shipping cost? Just thought I would ask. I think they are custom, and we will probably end up eating the shipping to replace the ladder. Remember, never use the ladder bike carrier. We had used this one several times with no problem, but we were lucky we found it and didn't have ladder and bikes scattered all over the road. Thanks!

cindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
If you scroll down to the maintenance forum you will find a similar topic. They were unable to locate parts for their ladder and had to order one from Keystone.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Man what a bummer. I would have thought those ladders were more secure than that. I have been going up and down mine like a monkey. I also carry a couple of bikes on a rack occasionally - now I am beginning to wonder.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:53 PM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Cindik, I don't know how close you are to Goshen, but we did see ladders of all sizes at the RV Surplus stores. Maybe you could come to the rally in Sept and go shopping!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:35 PM   #5
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
After replacing all the aluminum bolts holdiong the ladder together with cres because they sheared off, we have carried 2 bikes back there for over 15,000 miles with no problems.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:59 AM   #6
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Cindik - do you think soft bolts were what caused the failure - if that is the case replacing bolts could be a good preventive measure for us with original equipment.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:26 PM   #7
cindik
Established Member

M.O.C. #4457
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by indy roadrunner

Cindik - do you think soft bolts were what caused the failure - if that is the case replacing bolts could be a good preventive measure for us with original equipment.
After closely examining the ladder, hubby thinks the bolts had rusted and sheared causing the breakage. I don't think our ladder had aluminum or stainless bolts. He thinks this happened over time, and eventually the ladder just couldn't handle the extra weight. Remember, our Montana is a 2000, the bolts they are using now are probably rust-proof, and much stronger than what was in our ladder. We are looking at possibly replacing the bolts and repairing the ladder ourselves or asking our rv dealer to possibly having a ladder sent with a shipment of Montanas they receive. I don't want to sound cheap, but I just hate to pay more for the shipping than the cost of the ladder.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:04 PM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Cindik

Keep us posted. I was under the impression that Keystone does not ship parts in 5ers anymore, that all parts are shipped via some carrier. I heard a story (we all know about stories) that they had a bunch of parts in a 5er headed toward Idaho or someplace, and the hauler rolled the 5er on ice. Totaled the 5er, which was covered under insurance, but the parts inside were not. Not sure if the story is correct, or if the hauler was hurt, or anything, just a story. Supposedly, that was when Keystone decided to ship all parts via truck, like UPS, or FedEx, or whatever. Please let us know on that shipping thing, eh??
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:31 PM   #9
therebnme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4092
We have a new 3400RL (2006). We had it at the Dealer to take care of a few items. The service tech started to climb our ladder to get on the roof, and the ladder broke just at the bend. I understand that that was not unusual. Apparently when they bend the bottom part of the ladder it weakens the section. We are very glad that DH wasn't the one climbing, and also that it is under warranty. Not sure how you could check it, since it was inside the tube.
So far, waiting 2 weeks for it to arrive.
therebnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:46 PM   #10
cindik
Established Member

M.O.C. #4457
Just a update! Hubby was able to repair our ladder by replacing the bolts that had broken. Ladder is now stronger than it was new. He tested it by climbing on the roof. It didn't move an inch. However, we will never carry bikes on it again. Thanks for all the helpful info.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:08 PM   #11
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Could you ask your dealer to have the factory put an extra ladder in one of the new units they are delivering to him and forget the delivery charge. I know when we ordered our Montana it was loaded with extra parts for the dealer to do his repairs and I am sure it was to save on shipping.

Doug and Sharon
Lexi (our Cockapoo)
2004 3670RL
2002 Chevy 2500HD Ext. Cab. 4X4

DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:13 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The comment about the bolts rusting reminded me of a discussion on MOC a couple of years ago. Those ladder tubes will collect water. Some of us drilled small holes in the bottom of the bottom rung to allow the water to escape.

I don't know if enough water would accumulate to reach the bolts but provision to let the water drain might help.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote