Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #1
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Dish receiver daily reboot - disable?

Anybody figured out a way to disable the auto reboot on the dish receivers (Z11 or whatever it is)? I can't find a good time to have it auto reboot since I'm a night owl and the wife tends to just flip the tv on at any ol time during the day? It has become a particular issue this week as I've had to put the portable dish on the roof and when it reboots at 3am it wakes me out of a dead sleep when the Sat starts doing it's thing to find all the birds. So now i need to remember to unplug it before i crash then spend the time at night doing the startup thing.

BTW makes me happy I don't have a Winegard Roadtip.

davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:46 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I didn't even know it did an auto reboot. Learn something new every day. My Tailgater sits on the ground so I would not hear that part of it. And never noticed the box itself making nighttime noises. Mine is a 211k, so it may work different.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:04 PM   #3
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
I have both the z11 and 211k and they both reboot. There's a setting to set the reboot time of day but not disable it. I forgot to unplug it again so it woke me at 3am. Really annoying to say the least.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:06 PM   #4
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
My VIP722 does the update at 3 am and I never know it.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Wakes you up in a dead sleep????? Wow I am a night owl too and have never heard mine do that it is real quiet,as you can see in my pic it is close to the bedroom window too
Old 05-02-2015, 02:11 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283

Try this start with menu on your remote:
Menu
Preferences
Updates
Then choose a time to do the up date.

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:51 PM   #7
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Not sure if this is the same thing, but with our Dish system we get a screen in the wee hours of the morning that says that the system will download any updates in the software. We have a choice to postpone until later and continue watching TV. If it doesn't update later in the morning, it will do it the next night.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:44 PM   #8
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
I set it for 8am when hopefully we'll be doing something more interesting than TV. Still wish there was a way to disable it completely. I've seen the "postpone screen" as well which doesn't present an issue for me but I'd rather avoid explaining what's happening to the DW and why and...

Yep dead sleep. Woke me twice this week. Something about the noise just catches my ear and pops me right out of it (note it's not the satellite receiver but the satellite dish moving around with the gears and all). At least I know what to tell the wife to put next to me should I ever bonk my head to hard and go out cold.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:01 PM   #9
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
One thing I did do davidaf when I first got it the dish got stuck inside and I could hear it trying to rotate and locate a Satellite but it sounded like it was jammed in one position so I opened it up and looked as it was trying to turn and it was stuck so I Lubed all the pivot points inside and put the lid back on and it has been real quiet when rotating and worked great ever since
Old 05-03-2015, 04:17 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
My Winegard Carryout and now the Winegard Traveler don't do that. The receiver resets and says it's looking for the satellites, but nothing is moving that I can tell. Actually, after the Traveler finds the satellites I unplug it to save overnight amps for the solar and everything works fine for months.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:24 AM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

........so I Lubed all the pivot points inside and put the lid back on and it has been real quiet when rotating and worked great ever since
Curious what points you lubed and what you lubed with. We have had ours for 6 yrs and so far no problems. I open the cover each spring the first time I use it just to watch and see that it is working correctly rather than waiting impatiently for the screen messages. Sometimes I have to restart it a time or two to get the sats. But so far, so good. Mine barely makes any noise, even with the cover off.

When I power up, the dish rotates CW about a half turn, then rotates CCW a full 360 (scanning the sky I suppose), then rotates back to the south and starts a series of very small up/down and side to side movements looking for sats. Decides that is not the correct position and rotates to the east and does the same. Finally it rotates to a somewhat southwest position, does the small movements, and a few minutes later finds the correct sats. Since I have to tell it my scan location on the menu screen I have no idea why it looks to the other two locations first.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:25 AM   #12
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
The 8am solution worked just fine so I may have a non issue. This is a Winegard Carryout G2, i'll try lubing the parts when we move to our next location.

If we are dry camping we unplug at night so it's not a problem and most of the time i'm okay leaving the dish on the ground but not at this place. We are on the beach in Huntington Beach, CA there are a few too many unsavory types roaming up and down the beach to trust leaving it in the open even with a lock. Couple months ago at the same place we had to call the PD when our neighbors bike was stolen we just happened to be up at 1a to witness it, lucky neighbor.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:38 AM   #13
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I just lubed it with a product I found at Ace hardware called Zoom Spout oiler for lubing turbines on each side where it pivots for the up and down movement and as I remember (it has been a year and a half) on the gear teeth in there and that did the trick
Old 05-03-2015, 05:35 PM   #14
commish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14397
I fixed the Dish Networks reboot problem. I went with Direct TV?
commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:43 PM   #15
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by commish

I fixed the Dish Networks reboot problem. I went with Direct TV?
Trust me this has been considered from day one since I was a happy Direct customer for years! I still don't like Dish but HD works with the portable auto dishes on Dish and Direct would be SD only.