Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
Montyman
Established Member

M.O.C. #8786
Under bed storage improvements

Any way to increase the under bed storage in a Montana 3400RL?
Someone must have done this previously.

Thanks,
Montyman

Montyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Not if they are the same as the 3402RL, that is where the hydraulic ram is and the workings for the bedroom slide, the bottom of the storage just clears the ram and fastening system.

Here's a picture of what it looks like under there.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I seem to remember that Ozz and others did add storage in that area, and it was a 3400. Seems like they found a way to access and use the area around the hydraulics if I recall correctly. Here is one thread that even has a link to another one of Ozz's mods:

Under bed storage thread

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It can certainly be done. Just make sure you leave clearance where it is necessary.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
One would have to be pretty hard up for storage to bother modifying the bed storage area in my rig. If something gets jammed in there you will have problems you will not welcome. However should you decide to go ahead please post pictures of your creation, others would be interested I am sure.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I cut the platform in half from side to side and put a piano hinge on it. I now have storage at the bottom half of that area. Just make sure that anything that goes under there doesn't interfere with the rams. I also installed outlets on either side of the bed while I was in there.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:56 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It can be done, but in my case, I don't want any more storage than what's there or it may add too much weight. I don't have much margin left.

You do have to know the path of any movement and what is not impacted by the movement. Just remove the covering, extract/retract the slides and mark properly. Measure several times just to be sure and all should go well.

Then when you've completed it, post some pictures. Others like me sure like to look at what other's have done.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #8
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Montyman,

Yes, we did do something about it. We have the same hydraulic set up and needed more room under the bed.

What I did was take 1" x 6" x 3/4" maple and basically created an upper wood skirt that sits on top of the existing bed slide frame. I took the top plywood and hold open pistons off and built the new 6" high skirt top. I fastened a 1" x 2" maple top edge around the new skirt similar to what the existing frame had so the pistons and plywood had the same mounting.

Once installed the mattress sits 6" higher but now we have a 12" deep storage area.

I had pics but cannot seem to find them so I will have to take more to show you.

Hope this helps.

Les

Old 02-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #9
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Don't think I would add 6" to the top of the bed?? As it is, sometimes I hit my head on the overhead already. What I have planned for this summer, is to cut out the side panels leaving the 2 stiles in place. This gives you 3 openings on each side. Make small boxes that fit into the opening and attach to stiles and frame, top/bottom. Apply trim. Measuring boxes to clear the ram steel frame. At the foot of the bed, cut back the framing about an 1-1/2" and reattach. This gives me space for two small travel suitcases. At present, the space is just short for them to fit without putting pressure on the dresser and bedframe. On the openings under the bed, leave open for shoes, sandals and slippers. Note: You can move the 2 stiles for equal spacing if needed. There is also enough space at the foot of the bed for boxes instead of cutting back for travel bags. The paneling pieces are only 1/8" thick panels. A router with a bottom roller bearing trim cutter works best for panel removal.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote