Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
Joshuatree59
Established Member

M.O.C. #10292
Send a message via MSN to Joshuatree59
Winegard Carryout and Dish Network Part Two

Finally got a chance to hook the Carryout up to the new Montana. Decided for the time being to just sit it on the roof and let the cables dangle. I promise to hide them better at a CG as not to look too lazy. The 3750 has two satellite inputs so I had to figure out which one fed the inside outlet. Trial and error (and cussing) always seems to be easiest for me. Once again had to set the "check switch" on the receiver. Everything worked fine until...I took the DVR receiver back into the house. I really should have marked the jumble of cables coming from the wall. Again T & E and C, but I finally got the signal from ONE satellite(119). No HD channels at all! After an hour decided to call Dish tech support and blame Cyndie. (Told them she unhooked everything to clean under the entertainment center..like THAT would happen} Anyway it seems as though I hadn't completed the "check switch" process, putting it back to original settings. After 2 hours I had my home system back to normal.
This seems like a lot of trouble if I continue to use my home receiver on the road. (Cyndie won't let me blame her again, so I was informed) I called Dish and asked about a 2nd HD receiver. Buy one for $149 and $7 a month extra on my bill. Let's see...$7 a month times 12=$84. For 5 weeks worth of RV TV. Oh, and I found out don't mention you MIGHT take it RV-ing. They throw a hissy fit. Does anyone know of a solution?

Joshuatree59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
When I recently told DishNetwork I had DirecTV and that they allowed me to take a mobile unit (its in the fine print of the terms and conditions) and use one of the DirecTV receivers from the house, the DishNetwork installer GAVE me a DishTV dual LNB satellite dish. He then installed an HD capable single port receiver in our house knowing that this is the one I would take RVing. They were very supportive of my mobile needs. But maybe times have changed since I did this only two weeks ago.

I don't have any experience with hooking up at the RV yet, but maybe I better practice at home since the RV is parked in my driveway. I don't need the HD yet (the RV televisions are NOT HD yet), but I was told this should work. My stick home unit is non-HD even though I have a Dish HD receiver. This is for when I eventually swap out the existing TVs for HD units.

I was told by the installer that I have about two weeks before calling to have to have my receiver reset after the power is removed. I do have their newest receivers since this is a new install.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Gary,
It's sort of like "Don't ask, Don't tell!"

They do sometimes throw a hissy. Art was lucky with the "first person out of the barrel." I talked to them some time ago and got the same results as you did. Maybe it's time to call them again. Isn't it funny that you buy the satellite receiver, then you have to pay rent on it monthly. I haven't looked at my bill recently, but as long as I'm hooked up to a phone line, my rent is free. when it's not hooked up, it $5 a month (I think it's $5)

The bottom line is greed. There is no logical reason that I can see why a person could not take a home unit on the road. And, it's done all the time.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We just also bought the carry out winegaurd and we have dish. Best thing we have bought for the Montana in a while. We have 2 rec. boxes. We pay $5.00 each month for the extra box. (It however is not HD which we could care less about) We can start and stop the $5.00 for the months we do not use it. We honestly do not stop it during the winter months. Just not worth the hassle. We have had to call and have Dish reset our smart card after an extended period of time. Dish told us over 30 days but I think it is less than that. It seems worth the $5.00 not to take it from the house on each trip and have to get all the wires hooked up correctly. When we did take it from the house it worked and there was no extra charge but we never called and let them know what we where doing either.

We have also found that when you call Dish you get lucky at times and get someone who know what they are doing and you can understand. Other times they just put you through test that never ends in any results and then they tell you that it is some other issue like your tv or system. At that point we usually give up and wait for a while, call back until we get someone that knows what they are talking about.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote