Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2008, 06:37 AM   #1
nickandmarilyn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5229
Help Direct TV runaround

The installation guy just showed up at the RV and told us he cannot install HD DVR becasue they do not have a tripod to support the 30lb dish. Now Direct TV says I cannot have HD but can have regular dish with DVR.
Is this correct?

nickandmarilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:45 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Nick and Marilyn, that is correct, you can use the dvr without the hd channels. We have the same in our house right now and use the box from the den when we travel.
When we first got the dvr we had the hd channels til we found out we couldn't get our local channels in hd so we canceled hd. Now, note, that is a local problem with Direct TV and our local stations. We use the dvr quite a lot as the dw likes to watch different shows that are on at the same time.
Have you looked into the Winguard satellite system for the rv? I think you can get the hd channels on them. Check them out.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Winegard makes a tripod that works great with the 5 LNB dish. TR-3500 Multi-Satelite Tripod, around $80. I use one no problems. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
You can get a CST/Berger surveyors tripod at Home Depot for about 50 bucks. It holds my 5LNB HD dish just fine and the installer had his head in his butt. I have been using HD dish since it came out and had no problems setting it up. Directv has my DNS waiver and everything is fine. If they get snotty about I will drop them like a rock and go with Dish, no problem there. There is an offset head that you can get for the 5 LNB dish also and it centers the weight of the dish on the tripod... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:17 AM   #5
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Dave, tell me more about the offset LNB. Kerry
Old 10-24-2008, 03:48 AM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
kerry, here is a pic of the unit and the tripod top.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:40 AM   #7
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I use this tripod for the DTV Slimline dish. It works well, I don't have the pointer with mine. So I made a different one from pvc and it makes it easier to hit the satellite the first try.

http://www.tv4rv.com/slimline-tripod.htm
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:31 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The surveyors tripod that Dave has is really slick. It looks as if it would hold up a volkswagon. We are going to Home depot and look one up as we will be changing to the heaver dish. Directtv is selling a product.. there are all kinds of things you can't do according to directv but for a price they can do it. His camper does look like a CIA operation with all that comm stuff set up tho.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 04:14 AM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I recomend when talking to a person at Direct-Tv always try to talk to someone who is familiar with RVing, if you don't your wasting your time. We have been using the HDTV 5 LNB system since they came out. And this is the second 5 LNB dish we have had. We have one for the 5th wheel and one that is stationary at the home base. When we were using the Hughes Net on the road we also used the Tri-pod for it. We now have it stationary at he home base. This will be our first extended stay without the Hughes Net system. Don't know how this will work?

The Tri-pod system is the best and easiest way to mount the 5 LNB dish. I have used the regular mount for the dish, but the offset is the best way and the simplest. In some areas Direct-Tv will give you the Tri-pod but you have to talk to the right person, they must know about RVing. One thing I can assure you one thing when you go to HDTV you want go back.

P.S. Direct-Tv will install a system on the 5th wheel, they want mount on the roof but they will mount on a pole or Tri-Pod. We have had it done twice. Good Luck.. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:59 AM   #10
nickandmarilyn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5229
Well they won't do it in Washington. The second installer just showed up and said he couldn't do it. His supervisor will not allow install on RV because they will get too many service calls. So these bright bulbs up here sent out two installers in a truck just to tell me in person that they couldn't do the job. I finally talked to someone at DTV and they said go to Camping World or King Controls. Seems that if you don't have a house to install it on then DTV won't get directly involved. Although I did speak to about 6 people who told me no problem.
nickandmarilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:04 PM   #11
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Has anyone put a hinge on the LNB arm and if so has if caused any problem peaking the signal strength? Kerry
Old 10-26-2008, 02:38 PM   #12
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I drilled out the welds on two dishes so far. 1st was my old round one followed by my oval 3 LNB and in both cases replaced with 2 screws and wing nuts. Allows me to separate the arm from the dish to allow easy stowing in basement.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:07 AM   #13
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
kerry, go back and hit the link on Julo's post they have a conversion kit, actually they have several... Dave
Old 10-27-2008, 07:50 AM   #14
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
I saw the kits, but I'm concerned that it might cause a misalignment on the LNB. With the HD, alignment is a little more critical. Kerry
Old 10-27-2008, 07:55 AM   #15
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
I didn't get one of the conversions because I prefer to stow the dish and arm separately. The dish fits nicely against the front wall of the basement and nests nicely with the Hughes dish... Dave
Old 10-27-2008, 09:31 AM   #16
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Dave, do you just take the 4 screws out of the LNB arm, and if so, does it cause any line up problems when you put it back together. Kerry
Old 10-27-2008, 03:10 PM   #17
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
kerry, I just take the screws out and they don't effect the alignment at all. There are alignment detentes in the bracket. Once you snug the screws everything is tight... Dave
Old 10-27-2008, 06:04 PM   #18
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Thanks Dave, I'll give it a try. Kerry
Old 10-27-2008, 06:42 PM   #19
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Kerry, you have to take the dish off first, the LNB arm won't come off easily with the dish in place. just spin the nuts off the back side of the dish and catch the bolts when you remove the dish. Store the head separately... Dave