Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2007, 04:49 AM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
How to fix tears in slide topper?

Noticed that I am getting a tear in the big slide topper on the living room slide. It's about an inch long so far and runs from the edge of the topper inward along the line where the topper goes from double thickness to single thickness. Also noticed a couple of the other toppers are starting to get small tears at their edges. I assume that all this damage comes from the heavy winds we have had on a number of occasions here in the southwest in the last several months.

Are there any steps I can take to repair the damage and/or slow down or stop the spread of these tears? And has anyone had any success getting such things covered under warranty by Keystone since our rig is only 8 months old at this point?

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:13 AM   #2
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
David, this won't answer your questions but I thought I would share my experience. I tore ours when I rubbed up against a semi when I was making a U-turn to get fuel. Of course this happened at 5AM while we were making a 1000 mile trip. It was a small tear and our 5th wheel was not very old at the time. The tear never got any larger than the few original inch's but it was not on a seam. We just got our's replaced last month because they had all delaminated. It lasted with the tear for three years. I would think that yours would be under warranty because you didn't cause the tear.
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:03 AM   #3
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Dave, I don't know where you are at,but if you are close to a large marina that sells all kinds of stuff for sail boats and larger rigs, look for rigging tape. It is white and has a plastic texture to it. It is about the size of regular gray tape. I used this on my topper a few years ago and it is still holding. My tear was in the middle on the flat area. I would think the edge would hold even better. Good luck
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Awning shops sell a repair tape I purchase a few years back it worked well
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:56 PM   #5
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
It may be that if you have some EternaBond (sp) tape on hand that it could work.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:49 AM   #6
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Prior owners used duct tape - only lasted a few years due to exposure to the weather.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:36 AM   #7
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Mike:

I've got a roll of Eternabond that I haven't had occasion to use yet. From what I've heard, it adhers tightly to things, and I assume that it's strong and durable.

Anyone know any downside to wrapping a piece of Eternabond around the top and bottom edge of the slide topper where it is tearing?
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:04 AM   #8
bjlks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4218
David

Keystone should step up to the plate on this, we have slide toppers and went through some storms last summer with winds of 70 plus MPH, and no tears or damage.I would go the warranty from Keystone or the manafacture of toppers, and get replacments.
bjlks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:56 AM   #9
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
David, my friend fixed his tear with "clear" duct tape. I didn't know they made it in clear but have now seen it in Lowe's. The repairs seems to be holding up well.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:24 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
David, you haven't had that rig that long. You might see if there's any kind of warranty to cover this. We also got some tears on our prior Montana but only after about 3+ years. I used eternabond tape but it's pretty thick. I think next time I'll check into the rigging tape jsmitfl mentioned.

We have been in a lot of heavy winds with this Montana and the prior one. It sure seems awful early for yours to be developing these tears.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote