Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Packing Bearings Outcome

Had a friend help me today with repacking the bearings on the Montana. When we pulled off the right side rear brake drum and it was full of grease. Several parts also fell out of the drum from the brake system. We had to replace the backing plates on both sides of the rear axle. Seems the factory tech who assembed the axle never installed the bearing seals right and they leaked the grease out all over the brakes. The brakes on the rear axle weren't even working. The front axle was fine so we only had to repack the bearings there.

So glad I decided to have these bearings check and repacked. I have about 5000 miles on the rig. Now I am set for another 5000 or so miles. If you haven't had yours checked lately you might want to have someone go through them.

One more thing, we also noticed that all of the brakes were self-adjusting except the right side rear axle. Replaced that one with a self-adjuster backing plate. Seems the factory tech's when assembling the axle orginally weren't paying very good attention to their job at hand!!

PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
If not to late, take pics, notify Dexter and ask what action they would like you to take. They sent me two new assembly's without any hesitation on their part.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
I already tossed the old parts and everything is replaced.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Scott,
Your experience is a perfect example of why one should actually do (or have done) the packing of the bearings. Glad you found and fixed it at home rather than on the side of the road! Happy Travels, Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Just so we are clear here, Montana doesn't assemble the axles, brakes or drums. They come to Montana assembled by Dexter. That's not offered as an excuse, just trying to make sure the right 'factory' gets the blame.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Scott I would still contact Dexter as Mike said in his post. Apparently someone messed up and they need to know about it so their QC can do a little better checking on the work going out of the factory. Let them know what you found, what parts you had to replace and what the cost to you was because of their screw up. They just might get something back in reinbursement. It wouldn't hurt to mention you are a Montana Owners Club member and that it has been posted on the this sight and they may pay more attention to it also since we all know about what they have done too! One never knows! One other point, don't send them your original receipts, whether you got a discount on the parts or not, but make copies of the receipts and send the copies to them.

Rondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:02 AM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Another example of why it is not best to rely on zerk fitting maintenance.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:39 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We had the very same problem in 2006.....just full of grease. That one cost us $1000 to correct. The dealer had the audacity to blame me for over greasing the bearings. Of course at the time, I didn't even own a grease gun.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Gotta be more than a factory issue. A grease seal that can be popped off by a grease gun ain't much of a grease seal to me. This is a weak design, period and it's been this way since the covered wagon, it seems.

Worse yet when that caveman who invented the wheel, then his buddy figured out that the wheel and axle needs grease to reduce friction, well, that's when the problems started. How many thousands of years is that?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Gotta be more than a factory issue. A grease seal that can be popped off by a grease gun ain't much of a grease seal to me. This is a weak design, period and it's been this way since the covered wagon, it seems.

Worse yet when that caveman who invented the wheel, then his buddy figured out that the wheel and axle needs grease to reduce friction, well, that's when the problems started. How many thousands of years is that?
In "Old World Craftsman" years?
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #11
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
I just might send a note to Dexter and let them know what I found. Good idea Rondo, Thanks!

Scott
Old 02-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Definately do it Scott! Let them know what you found and let them know you that their Quality Control and their technicians messed up big time. That bearing seal should have been set solid and should how have been able to be pushed out even with a grease gun. If anything, whoever greased that bearing had to have been using a neumatic grease gun and had no idea on what he/she was doing or how much grease should have been put into that area!
If it were me, I'd send them a certified letter with a return receipt on it through the Post Office and include your letter of explanation along with copies of any receipts you had in the replacement of the part and the problems found. You will get the return receipt back and it will have to be signed and dated on the delivery to Dexter. Then you have proof if they say they never received your letter.
Rondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:14 AM   #13
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
At the first annual inspection of our Monty, checking the brakes discovered one not working. Pull drum and full of grease right from Dexter. Service Center called Dexter and they authorized replacement right over the phone. So there is a history of grease in the brakes right from Dexter.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:44 AM   #14
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
If my memory serves me properly, Dexter in a subsidery of [ my memory just failed ] the frame manufacturer that has gobbled up so many other component manufacturers- These axles and many other components are now assembled in china and other foreign countries- It infuriates me when my memory fails to deliver its contents to me- JMHO [ such as it is ] I'm sure someone will let me know what I know but can't remenber- THANX in advance for a reply- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:55 AM   #15
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
My memory was refreshed by reading more Moc blogs- The name of the outfit gobbling up the competition is Lippert- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #16
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Well, I sent an E-mail to Dexter Axle about the situation I found while repacking my bearings and they were very responsive! I recieved a reply the next day from their Warrenty Supervisor and she offered to reimburse me for the parts I had to buy. I informed her that I did not save the invoice nor take any pictures. She was still very courtious and is sending me a check for $200.00 for my troubles.

It is so nice to know that there is still a company around that stands behind their products and is willing to assist and help out their customers! Dexter Axle Company is Number 1 in my books!!

Thanks Rondo for the tip to contact them!!

Scott
Old 02-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #17
Ski Doo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12146
Glad for you, Scott.
It's always nice to hear of a company stepping up and taking responsibilty.
Ski Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #18
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Good point!!
All my wheels were over-greased when the unit was delivered to me. ALL brake linings were contaminated with grease, Dexter stepped up to the plate with no arguments and paid CW to replace all affected parts. No problems since.
I do feel that Keystone shares some responsibility here since good QC involves spot checks. Besides, surely I'm not the 1st Montana customer this has happened to.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Just so we are clear here, Montana doesn't assemble the axles, brakes or drums. They come to Montana assembled by Dexter. That's not offered as an excuse, just trying to make sure the right 'factory' gets the blame.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #19
RburhornJR
Established Member

M.O.C. #13236
Another good story on why you should check and pack the bearings yourself. I noticed that my truck seemed to be doing more and more of the braking -- I had to keep increasing the gain on the brake controller to get the proper braking effort from the 5th wheel. So I checked the resistance (ohms - with an ohm meter)and the current in the brake circuit going to the magnets. Resistence was higher, current was lower, than what the Dexter owners manual specified - which means one or more of the magnets was not in the circuit. Found that the right rear grease seal had failed, grease all over the brake shoes and the wire to the magnet have been severed by pinched between shoe and backing plate. Dont know how/if the failed grease seal caused the brake problem. But glad I checked b4 a long trip.
RburhornJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #20
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PackerFan

Had a friend help me today with repacking the bearings on the Montana. When we pulled off the right side rear brake drum and it was full of grease. Several parts also fell out of the drum from the brake system. We had to replace the backing plates on both sides of the rear axle. Seems the factory tech who assembed the axle never installed the bearing seals right and they leaked the grease out all over the brakes. The brakes on the rear axle weren't even working. The front axle was fine so we only had to repack the bearings there.

So glad I decided to have these bearings check and repacked. I have about 5000 miles on the rig. Now I am set for another 5000 or so miles. If you haven't had yours checked lately you might want to have someone go through them.

One more thing, we also noticed that all of the brakes were self-adjusting except the right side rear axle. Replaced that one with a self-adjuster backing plate. Seems the factory tech's when assembling the axle orginally weren't paying very good attention to their job at hand!!
Only one wheel had the greased brakes when I decided to check and repack at 3K miles. Had three pitted chinese bearings also. Dealer would not re-imburse parts.
mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote