Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2014, 02:10 AM   #1
johnp4191
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6664
Slide scratching laminate

My kitchen slide on my 2003 2880RL has started to scratch the laminate when I move it in and out. I searched the forum and didn't find any comments on how to prevent this. Has the slide come out of adjustment?
Thanks,

Judi

johnp4191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:18 AM   #2
tweber502
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13660
Judi,
Not sure if it's out of adjustment but the first thing I would do is to see if anything has gotten stuck under the slide. Run it in a little and see if you can see or feel if anything is under there. Then I would run it fully out, go outside and look under the slide to see if a screw has worked loose. As far as it being out of adjustment, that's a question for a more experienced member. Best of luck. Tim
tweber502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:40 AM   #3
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Our kitchen slide seemed tight when the slide came in on the floor also so we had the slide adjusted by the dealer. It did make a difference. There are adjustments there. We made our own slide protectors and placed them on the floor where we thought it might drag. They worked well but you have to watch when you put out the slide they don't suck them out with the slide. We used two of the stick down laminate from Lowes (you could buy by the piece) that was the wide width and peeled off the paper on the back and cut a piece of rubber placed on the back over the sticky glue. Set them in front of the slide where your getting the rub marks. They will track on the laminate strips. Once the slides out pick up the strips you made put them in the closet. I can send a pic if you pm me your email address. We still use them even after we got the slide adjusted as a precaution. They do sell slide protectors that are pretty expensive for carpet they are plastic on both sides. We looked at them and thought they would slide on the kitchen flooring verses the rubber backing. We used it this way a long time and still do now after getting it adjusted, you never know when something can get under the slide and rip your floor.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:39 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Saw an Alpine in Goshen two years ago and the problem was that the nails or staples they used on the carpet that goes around the edge of the front of the slide were pulling out and that's what was damaging the floor. They were in Goshen to have Keystone fix it under warrantee.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Loose staples or nails holding the carpet are both possibilities, I would also be aware that sometimes small stones get tracked into the unit and if one of them gets under there it will do the same thing. We always sweep under the carpet before bringing in the slide and have often found foreign objects that could damage the lino or laminate.

I would not suspect adjustment to be the cause, the carpet is supposed to ride on the flooring when going in and out. Feel under the carpet for suspicious things and always sweep under there before closing.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
johnp4191
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6664
I will check to see if there is something under the carpet when we use the 5ver this weekend. Thanks for the suggestions.

Judi
Old 05-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
After 10 years, slide adjustment is one of the first things I would look at.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #8
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Check the outer edges of the slide outside. There are screws with a big convex head on them, and they use them to hold the wall to the floor. Usually 3 on each end. They could have backed out some or like others said the adjustments are bad allowing the screws to finally rub.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:32 AM   #9
johnp4191
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6664
I had an RV maintenance man come to the 5ver to fix some slide leaks and he checked on the cause of the gouge on the floor. There was a screw that had somehow worked its way to between the wood of the slide and the fabric cover on the bottom of the slide. It looked was more like a fan set screw, it had a blunt end. The man thought it was probably dropped in a wrong place during products and finally vibrated to where we found it.

In order to get the screw out we put the slide in a 1/2 way in position, then pushed on the top of the slide to get it to tilt up at the bottom far enough to get a knife (to cut the fabric) and a channel lock (to pull on the screw) under the slide to get the screw out.

Oh the joys of rv's!!

Judi