Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > Camping Clubs within MOC
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2018, 10:12 AM   #1
ronbuske

M.O.C. #18935
Travel Ideas

Request information about trip to Yellowstone National Park (YNP):
We would like travel information from someone who has traveled to YNP with their Montana. We are from the Kansas City, MO area and do not want to reinvent the wheel making plans to YNP. Anyone with ideas about best route from around this area? Also, descent camp grounds along the way?
Would appreciate it greatly.
Thank you.
Ron and Jan Buske
MOC Rally 2016

ronbuske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:26 AM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
One of our most favorite places. Was just there last October. We are from KC also and have made the trip many times. Too much discussion to have on this forum but if you want to PM me a contact #, I'll be glad to share our experiences. Jim
Old 05-23-2018, 10:37 AM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Our last trip that way was 29 to 90 and dropping down off of 90 at 85, then down 191 and into west yellowstone. Plan on late afternoon visits to be able to easily see the sights without so many people as you will find in the morning and early afternoon timeframe. We stayed at a park west of west yellowstone on Route 20, but the nice rv park in west yellowstone, grizzly, was a really nice place. We only travel 200-300 miles a day. Stayed at Custers gulch in Custer sd. Nice park that allowed us to do many things in that area. Nice rv park at devils tower monument in wyoming as well. 7th Calvert rv park in Garry Owen close to little bighorn battlefield was very nice. Rv parks in wall, sd not bad. Also stayed in souix falls Koa I believe for its convenience to our travel milage thing.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #4
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Not from your area but we have been to the park and adjacent Teton the past two years. The first year we stayed within YNP at Fishing Bridge. It is the only park in YS that has full hookups. The negative is that they pack you in right next to each other and the spaces are tight. I was in a corner spot and was worried that one of the many rental RV's would hit our rig when rounding the corner. The trade off is that you are within the park and closer to everything you want to see. If you are going in peek season it won't matter where you stay there will be massive crowds and traffic everywhere. There are campgrounds outside of each park as well. West YS entrance has a few very nice campgrounds but that is on the far side from your direction of travel. Cody also has options from the east entrance but the drive is a bit farther.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:43 AM   #5
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
If you want full hookups and are longer than 34 feet or so, you are out of luck in the park itself. I squeezed into a site several years ago at the Fishing Bridge campground when I had a 34 foot Montana. Barely could fit.
If you don't need full hookups, then I think maybe the Canyon rv park would have large spots.
If these don't work, the Grizzly RV Park in west Yellowstone is VERY nice.
You need at least a day or two for the upper loop in the park and the same in the lower loop. West yellowstone entrance is kind of in the middle so you can go to either the north or south loop.
Have fun.
p.s. On what jcurtis said about distance to WY or Cody - I think Cody may be 70-80 slow miles to the entrance, whereas WY is about 15-20 miles of a straight shot to the loops.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:24 AM   #6
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Our unit is just short of 40'. All of the parks withing YS accpeted our rig.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote