Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Workamping
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2011, 07:23 AM   #1
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Weather in Kansas

We are looking at workamping for Amazon this year. The plant is in Coffeyville/near Independence. Work would be from mid September until Dec 23rd. What type of weather should we expect? Wondering if we would need to take any extra precautions for the grey and black tanks.

Has any ever stayed in the Walter Johnson Park?

Colleen

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:47 AM   #2
TwinkleToes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5679
Driftwood Gal - Exav8tor is correct. This should be in the Workamping Section. You'll probably get better results.

I'll move it for you.

TT
TwinkleToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
tomd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5075
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Driftwoodgal

We are looking at workamping for Amazon this year. The plant is in Coffeyville/near Independence. Work would be from mid September until Dec 23rd. What type of weather should we expect? Wondering if we would need to take any extra precautions for the grey and black tanks.

Has any ever stayed in the Walter Johnson Park?

Colleen
Amazon also has a large distribution ctr. in Campbellsville, Ky. They have constructed a nice Rv Park within walking distance. They hired workampers last year and will this year.. The weather was cold with snow last Dec., but as a usual thing the weather is not that bad.
tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:30 AM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Ask Steve and Vickie, Colleen.. They have stayed there several times..
I'm sure they will be glad to help.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Steve, it's actually Independence, MO we stayed at many times, not Independence, KS!

However, I grew up in Kansas. I've not spent a lot of time in the Independence area but have done some weekend fishing trips in the area.

September will be warm/hot with some humidity but shouldn't be as humid as northern Kansas. The weather can vary tremendously from one year to the next. Figure you may have daily highs in the 70's to 80's or 80's to low 90's.

October should be beautiful and is the time you'll be seeing Fall colors. The last half of October.

November usually will be decent, getting colder as the month progresses. You may or may not get some freezing weather the last half of the month.

December usually is highs in the 50's or even 60's in the first half of the month. Or in some years you may see highs ranging from 50 down to maybe 10 for a few days.

Usually the first snowfall will be right around Christmas or a little after. But we've seen wintes with a couple of inches as early as late October. And we've seen several inches in December, even 12 to 18 inches total. That's not the norm, though.

In other words, Colleen, it's Kansas. The weather is very unpredictable. But the area you are going to is pretty laid back and relaxed. If you like to fish, Big Hill Lake over by Cherryvale used to be (maybe still is?) and excellent bass lake. I've heard Elk City Reservoir is good but don't know first hand. By the way, Cherryvale is where Vivian Vance was born and grew up. And don't miss the Dalton Gang Museum in Coffeyville. And Fort Scott (the renovated Fort) at the town of Fort Scott.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote