Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Slow camping activity?

The places I have been visiting lately do not seem to be suffering a RVing setback. In Wyoming, North and South Dakota and even the expanse of Montana, we have been seeing many rigs on the road. As far as the campgrounds we have visited, they seem near full. There is a lot of RVing going on. I am staying here a week, but was told I had to move on after this week because they are booked solid the following week.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Sort of the same problem here in BC. Booked the better part of a month over on Vancouver Island & in one camp site we booked 2 weeks and will have to move from one of their sites to another ( couldn't get 2 weeks in one site, too busy).
I think lots of people are going RVing....... just staying a little closer to home.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:51 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Traveling Ohio TPK and PA I-80 East and west bound last couple of weeks. Very few rigs on the road and at rest and fuel stops. Our FCRV Camvention was over 30% down from last year. We are staying closer to home and the local C.G's are doing well. Could not get in to couple of C.G's along the Lake Eries shore but that was due to the size of the 3400. Lot of Canadians at the FCRV campvention and lot of Canadians traveling south of the border due to the strength of their dollar and the difference in fuel prices. Just wondering if the price of RV's have come down in Canada due to the strenght of the CA $. A transporter we met along the way said most of the RV's are being transported to Canada these days.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:32 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Stiles,

Wonder????? You are in what can be considered, prime summer travel places, probably places that people will still go.

Places that do not have the scenery and "wowsers! factor" may not be doing as well???

Hearing reports that many are cancelling winter travels to places of warmth.

Stiles, read license plates, where are all these rigs plated?? I think that would be VERY interesting to know.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:38 AM   #5
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Here in Southern Colorado the parks have alot of RVs but there are spaces available even as they head to the prime August period. Since South Fork, CO is on the main E-W route in southern CO, there are a steady steam of RV's--most with CO license plates.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:09 AM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I have heard that the campgrounds are full from the RVers that live in the area there still going camping but a little closer to home, so naturally they will be full.
I look at the hwy's when I travel, there not as busy as they used to be, at least in my area. I used to see lots of movement before oil went crazy.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:39 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Well, I looked at the license plates. There was one from Montana. About a forth of them came from the east and Midwest, i.e., Illinois, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Missouri. The largest single state represented was Texas followed by California, but Oregon and Washington had a few. Michigan had four units here. I didn't bother to check the lower tier of rigs.

So it seems the theory about only home folks would not hold up at least in this campground. In fact, it would not have held up in the last three campgrounds we visited. I am not trying to pick a fight, but just reporting what I see. I think there is a danger of seeing the world where we are and assuming that the remainder is as we see, then crystallizing around those observations.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:18 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I suspect this fall will tell the tale here in South TX. I am curious to see what transpires with the high fuel costs. Will the Winter Texans be back as usual? I know most I talked to said they would be back, but by then fuel may be 2 bucks a gallon more than it was when they left.

Our park here is rather unique in the fact that most of these RVs are really fishing camps, occupied mostly on weekends or summer months. There are a few empty spots here, but not many. We were out on Mustang Island (Port Aransas) earlier in the week, and the RV Parks there seem to be doing pretty well to my surprise.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We just got back from Wally World, got Diesel fuel and a couple of 5 gal cans for the John Deere. The cost per gal $4.59, and passed by the only RV park and it wasn't full and this time of year its always been full. Also I can see about 6 miles of the Tennessee River and its very few people on the river, you know Jet Ski's and boats and again its normally fun on week-ends. Went yesterday and picked up a Tractor and didn't see very many 5th wheels on the road. I believe the RV industry as a whole is really hurting. And this winter I think you will really see a slump. Because a lot of us live on our retirements and SS, and some aren't able to work, and others don't want to give back money after making $13,500 dollars. But I still carry a CDL because if I need to I can always work three months and take off again. However living with a wife like I have it would be hard to go back to work. But Life is good and we will do what ever we need to do and we are very flexible. I do believe that the RV parks will have to do something to stay in business and to get Rv'er to stay at their parks. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:03 AM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Interesting Stiles, I suspected as much. You are in a high tourist area, and it is so popular that you are getting those that still can or choose to travel. Very intersting.

One of the private parks here, in the Irish Hills of Michigan, parks that are usually fairly busy all summer long, has reported that the only time they have been full was Race Weekend, Michigan International Speedway is about 7 miles down the road from them.

Right now, if I wanted to reserve at the State Park, there are 41 sites available for 10 nights starting July 13th.

Over at the lake park, which is ALWAYS reserved full, I tried for the same, 10 nights, starting July 13th, no sites available, there are sites in the middle of the week, but nothing for over the next weekend. That is one of the most popular parks in the state. That park pulls patrons from Grand Rapids, Chicago, Lansing, etc.

Thanks Stiles for checking, very interesting, reassuring.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:28 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Lindy..My CDL earned me over 7500.00 last year and over 3000.00 thus far this year. I drive when I want to, School bus and charter. I will drive school and charter from the start of school till we depart for Flordia and that will pay the travel bills. Holding on to that CDL is wise and money in the bank.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #12
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We are in Newfoundland and all the way through Canada we have had our choice of campgrounds... There are several caravans but not any where near the usual. We even found a spot on Canada Day without reservations.. Ouch, that must hurt.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:07 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
The Minneapolis Southwest KOA is full tonight. Go figure!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:49 PM   #14
Peg Jack
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8568
So Hey, what's a CLD. Forgive me but I'm a newbee just trying to learn the lingo.
Hugs, Peggy
Peg Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:45 PM   #15
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
-
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Peg Jack

So Hey, what's a CLD. Forgive me but I'm a newbee just trying to learn the lingo.
Hugs, Peggy
Commerial Driver License ( CDL ) not CLD
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #16
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
We are returning from a trip to Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. Found the campgrounds in Canada to be mostly full. Just came thru Pa. and Virginia. Couldn't get into one Virginia KOA because it was full. Stayed in one that was full right around the corner. The next night in Virginia, did have a spot for us but is was also full.

Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:59 AM   #17
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Just spent 4 days/nights out and abput here in Missouri. The State Park at Roaring River was about half full during the week but only had one empty site open for the weekend. A private park in Carthage, The Big Red Barn (nice park) filled up every afternoon to near capacity. They are adding sites. Most of the plates were Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas and Missouri. Kansasans don't seem to travel much (Truman Lake area is an exception to this). Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:05 AM   #18
vabluebird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6155
We're staying home for the summer, but home is on a rented lot on Smith Mountain Lake in SouthWest Va. Most people in here have to settle for weekends and are picking and choosing their week-end. We live here for 6 months and then go to FL for 6 months and put up in a RV Park. We find it much cheaper and can take day trips or bus trips.

We plan to travel to SouthEast Vermont the last week of August to see the family before going to FL. We will travel back to VA on Tuesday, Sept 2 so we can be at Walnut Hills on Wed. in Staunton, VA
for the VA Rally.

Then we will sit home until we leave for FL Oct. 1st. We're going to FL if we have to take a tent.
vabluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:06 AM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vabluebird

Then we will sit home until we leave for FL Oct. 1st. We're going to FL if we have to take a tent.
Oh, wait... You may not have been kidding?

I love that attitude. We share it.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:02 PM   #20
vabluebird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6155
Dave, I started out in a tent, But as long as the money holds out, we're ok. We might go to a park model though. That's something to think about.
vabluebird is offline   Reply With Quote