Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
easy lube

how do you know when you have enough grease into the bearings, it seems I am pumping the into the zerk on the easy lube forever shoudn't you see grease start to come out the front????? thanx

Old 09-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
There has been much discussion here on whether you should use the zerk fitting at all. Or to dismantle and pack the bearings by hand. You can do some searching and find multiple discussions about it. I will not get into that but only to say that I did use the zerks as directed by the Dexter manual with no problems. I pumped very slowly, turning the wheel continuously while pumping, until I saw new grease come out the outside bearing area.
There is a fairly large cavity between the inside bearing and the outside bearing. And it takes a lot of grease to fill it. The amount of time before grease comes out the front depends on how much grease is in there to begin with. For me, it took several pumps before the old grease began to ooze out. Then it took a lot of grease before I began to see the new grease start to come out.
Here are some informative links.
Dexter manual. Shows good cutaway view of the interior.
Dexter service document that shows the correct procedure for greasing and the approved grease sources.
Recent discussion on open roads forum where someone posted pictures of his experience.
You can see that if the cavity is empty, it takes a lot of pumps to get grease to the outside bearings. So, in my opinion, you either pump until you see grease come out, or you take it apart and hand pack.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Thank you BB TX that helps alot!!
bigskyjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Mine were empty and took a LOT of grease until it started oozing out the front bearings. I know a lot of folks don't like or trust them, but I've no problems with mine (knock on wood!).
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
they say you should only give one shoot every 5000 miles
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by thor

That is assuming they were packed/filled correctly to begin with. Several post on this form indicate they were not. Jim
Old 09-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
No trouble with mine...two slow pulls, each wheel, annually.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
That's a big red flag that you pumped a lot of grease and didn't see anything coming out. It could be that there wasn't much grease in the bearings to begin with (which actually isn't that bad as long as the bearings are properly packed), but it could mean that you've blown a seal. I'd pull the wheel to make sure just what was going on.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:05 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by firetrucker

That's a big red flag that you pumped a lot of grease and didn't see anything coming out. It could be that there wasn't much grease in the bearings to begin with (which actually isn't that bad as long as the bearings are properly packed), but it could mean that you've blown a seal. I'd pull the wheel to make sure just what was going on.

Bob
Nope, mine were exactly the same way. The factory greases the inner and out beraings but does NOT fill the void between the two, so it takes many many pumps of the grease gun to get the grease to come out of the front bearings.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:20 AM   #10
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
I also thought you were to turn the wheel as you pumped the grease in slowly?
jliveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:31 AM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by thor

One shot every 5000 miles is not gonna put fresh lube to the front bearing. I have found the same thing Tom posted, the bearings are packed but the hub is not filled. You're just going to be lubing the inner bearing, and gradually filling the hub. Seems when I lubed the ones on our cargo trailer, it took about 1 tube per hub to get new grease coming out.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:37 AM   #12
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I give it two pumps while turning the wheel. Then I pull the outer bearing and pack it by hand. This gives me a chance to look inside. I hate pulling the rotors off anyway.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #13
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
This is just my opinion, but the "easy lube spindles" are just a marketing tool for someones idea that just never got the bugs worked out of it. Sure a variation of the "easy lube" works on small boat trailer hubs, but you are pumping grease directly into the outer bearing on said application not the entire length of the spindle. With larger cavity sizes and a brake hub covering the whole scheme of things ... over half the time you'll end up pumping grease inside the brake drum as the grease hole is nearer the rear seal. The 2 pump each spring and each fall people don't realize (barring removing the hubs and repacking the bearings every couple of years)that after five years of 2 pumping ... new grease NEVER got to the outer bearing.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote