Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2011, 11:36 PM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
"Early Christmas Present for the D/W"

My wife drives a Hummer back & forth to work and she really likes it. Since we have to park outside in all kinds of weather I got her a “remote-start” installed on her vehicle. I think it’s going to work out really great since she won’t be asking me to go out and start it as much, if she does I can use my remote fob.

I asked the installer about installing one on a diesel if it would work and he indicated that was not a problem. With the brains they have on them it would know how to make the delay for the starting.

Has anyone installed one on their diesel?

Does it seem to work well?

Thanks!

Old 11-13-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Mine had one as a factory option when I bought it. I really like it. Works really well.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:00 AM   #3
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Installed one on our dually and it works great. So far no problems.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:37 AM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
No problems with mine. It came with the remote start and I didn't know it did till we went out to go through the final inspection before taking it home! I made the comment that I wished it had a remote start, the salesman hit the fob and off it went! The only problem I've seen with it is that it does use a lot of fuel when you use the remote. A lot of the cities have a law now about prestarting your vehicle and leaving it unattended but since it's locked nobody can get into it or leaving with it!
Rondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:20 AM   #5
priceml
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #183
Send a message via ICQ to priceml Send a message via AIM to priceml
I had a Viper alarm installed on my GMC D/A.It has a remote start with a timer delay.It also has a turbo timer,you can set it and leave,if you just touch the brake the engine will die.
priceml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:25 AM   #6
HPRUM2000
Established Member

M.O.C. #931
had remote installed on 2003 6.0ford had dealer do it just traded ford in for cummings dodge had dealer do it no prolems with either.If truck is under warranty would have dealer do it hprum20113750fl2011doge dually
HPRUM2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
My last three Dodges had it and I love it. The new one not only turns on the engine, but if the temp is low outside it turns on the defroster, heated steering wheel and heated seats. Hard to believe it's a truck.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dick when it starts to cook your breakfast start to wonder what's up and trade in one of the two-- the Dodge or the "better half"! My Chevy does the same thing- seats, defroster and heater-- I don't have the steering wheel heater !

Old 11-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
troutchasers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10657
I really am a slow learner. I just started using mine as we have had some hard frosts lately. I thought I had to leave the defroster and fan on before shutting down. I just found out today what buttons to push in the cockpit to increase the ontime from 5 to 15 minutes.

I have to assume the new F350 will turn the fan, defroster and seat on. I did just discover how poor the a$$ end of the dually does in a few inches of snow. Just added 200 lbs of sandbags today.

But.... it's still REAL nice....
troutchasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Wouldn't ever trade in the DW, took all my life to find the right one. On the truck side, I can do without the rest of it, but I never imagined how great it is to get into a truck on a frosty day and have the steering wheel be warm. Just thought frozen hands on the way to work was all there was to life.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:34 PM   #11
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by UpinAK

I really am a slow learner. I just started using mine as we have had some hard frosts lately. I thought I had to leave the defroster and fan on before shutting down. I just found out today what buttons to push in the cockpit to increase the ontime from 5 to 15 minutes.

I have to assume the new F350 will turn the fan, defroster and seat on. I did just discover how poor the a$$ end of the dually does in a few inches of snow. Just added 200 lbs of sandbags today.

But.... it's still REAL nice....

I’ve noticed that when the back end seems to become light due to snow, I will place ours into four wheel drive. It then handles a lot differently and it doesn’t bother me as to the back end feeling insecure anymore. I do have a lot of tools in the back and I always leave the hitch in the bed so I guess that is some help. I sometimes use the tow/haul mode in bad weather which I believe helps to bring it to a controlled stop without using as much brake or as little brake depending on how slow of a stop I feel like I should make. I don’t know if it’s recommended for use that way or not but I really believe it helps me in bad weather.
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #12
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

When I was asking the installer about the remote for the diesel he thanked us for not being in a big hurry to get the Hummer back. He said he was working with a new brain (which I believe he meant that the unit he was installing was a new type of operating system.) Anyway, he also stated he had installed a thousand of them (remote starts) and this one he was learning on. He also stated that from then on out it would be costing everyone that got one about $200.00 more than what we were charged. Now that I want one for the diesel I guess I’ll have to cough up a little extra cash unless of course he gives be a break.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:39 AM   #13
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I have an Astrostart on mine, that's been there since a month or so after I bought the truck new in 2005. Astrostart costs a bit more, but at the time, it was the only unit that would literally wait until the glow plug light went out before starting the truck rather than wait a set time period. Also, the range on mine is very long, something like a quarter mile. Additionally, it tells me when the truck is running and I can turn on the heated seats in the winter. Last, I can leave the truck running w/o the key in the ignition if I want, like on cold days when I'm only going to be out of the truck for a minute or two by pressing the start button before removing the key from the ignition. These features may be available on other units now.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #14
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I have a 2011 F250 and it is standard on it . just when you get in you have to then insert the key and turn the key or it will kill if you try to put it in gear. sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #15
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
John-- What do you need an auto start down in FL? I thought it warm down there!
Old 11-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #16
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We have a 2007 GMC Classic and when it gets cold, we move south so that we don't have to worry about the cold seats, steering wheel, etc. So far our system has been infallible, but I guess we may need a new remote if Florida finds itself in a cold snap!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote