Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Puffers - $75 fine !

I have seriously considered remote start for both my truck and my DWs SUV, until.......

I just heard on the news the other day that one of our neighboring Cities has a LAW against warming up your car unattended. They call it puffers. They wrote over 100 tickets a week ago at $75 a pop. At first I thought it was pollution they were worried about - but the explanation is CRIME! The city spokesman says it promotes auto theft and those vehicles typically are involved in greater crimes.

HOLY BUCKETS - do I live in a nanny state or what? I suppose I need to spray some primer on my truck and break a few windows before parking in that town or my shiney Ford will be way to tempting for somebody to steal and it will be MY FAULT!! .

Anybody else out there in the sane part of the world heard of such a thing?? Do I live in a closet?

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Same thing here. Against the law to leave your car unattended and running.

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Yup, you live in fantasy land. Being snow bound gives your legislators too much time to dream up ways to control your life.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #4
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Not here. At least not that we know of. We have auto starters on both of our vehicles and will often leave them running when going into the store. Of course, the keys are in our pocket!!
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:54 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The one I put on one of my old trucks, had safety's that would not allow anyone to drive off, if you tried, the engine would shut off. I am sure all of them have that device.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:25 AM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
My '97 also had safety devices. The doors would lock, if not already locked, and if you stepped on the brake to put it in gear without the key in the ignition, it would simply shut down.

Brad, I feel for you, but I'm afraid we are all going to be in the same boat someday as more and more laws are passed attempting to protect us from criminals, and even ourselves. The sad part is, some of these laws end up protecting the criminals rights more than the victims.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:07 AM   #7
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Brad, is that the same town that was trying to ban red and green Christmas lights? i agree with Stiles those snow bound days are working on their heads. But most likely is is just a way to make more money for the city.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:19 AM   #8
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Brad, after the discussions above, you might check to see if the remote starters with theft prevention features are exempt. It may just be the folks who start there car to warm up and leave the keys in it.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:28 AM   #9
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I was thinking that too...the starting units that have security is one thing, but those that start manually and walk away with the keys in it running I can sure understand. That's just asking for it.

I wasn't thinking when I got my last truck - should've gotten this feature.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:31 AM   #10
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Brad,I have remote starts on both the truck and car. They can be started with the doors locked and keys in pocket. Also if you do get in the minute you step on the brake to put it in gear it shuts off. That cities like mine must have busy body's that have nothing to do but worry what someone else is doing. If some one is going to steal it keys or remote starts mean nothing.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:34 AM   #11
quarrles
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7626
Brad,

Have had remote start on almost all of my GM vehicles from trucks to Cadillacs and all have required that the vehicle be locked and that a key be inserted in the ignition before engaging gears. Must be that us Floridians are not up to par with the latest "Goverment Knows Best" states yet. I don't envy that kind of control.

Best...John
quarrles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:57 AM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I think your legislators are living in the darker ages.
My F-350 has a Viper Security System with remote start. Like others, I can push a button when I exit the vehicle, take my keys out, get out, and set the alarms. Engine is running. Or, I can start it, or set the alarms, up to 1500 feet away (Line of sight). If I were to forget to lock it and it was running, a thief would have to hit the break to put it in gear. When the break is touch, the engine stops and is in lock-out mode.

Sounds like it was the end of the month where you were and some quotas had to be met.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:41 AM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I'm shocked to hear there is actually another place with the same law (MAMalody - Pasco Wash).

My daughter was showing all of the features of her remote start, and I'm convinced it would be harder to steal her car now than mine without the remote start. Her remote actually brings her an alarm, ignition shunt, all the stuff you folks are talking about. My cars do none of that. In fact the pickup doesn't even have a chip in the key.

I don't know if the fine City of Aurora exempts those cars with alarmed auto starters, but I would doubt it. This is the same City that I couldn't drive in for 2-years because .........well we will just leave that alone. I'm sure there are some nice MOC folks that live there and I don't want to slam where their tax money goes. I think I'll just continue to drive around that town and do what I want.

I see GMC is working on an SUV they claim can literally drive itself - what will they do then?

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:24 AM   #14
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I have a remote start in my truck also,your right,the doors can be locked,if you touch the brake pedal it shuts off, and how would a thief move it anyway, you can't take it out of park unless you unlock your steering column with the key first. So if the key is in your pocket ???? where are they going??? I would trust the remote start security system better then the factory setups. You know that little flashing LED that says your vehicle is secure. How come then these cars and trucks are stolen every day?
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:59 AM   #15
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have remote start on the Truck and Car, they came factory equipped of course their GM. You have to have all doors locked and only then will they start. Then when you put the key in then and only then will you be able to put it in gear. Without the key the engine will stop if you try to move the vehicle. Some parts of our State has they stupid law. Most all Vehicles that are stolen had the keys in the Vehicle and left unattended. The dummy that wrote this law doesn't have a life, is just living off someone else, and needs to be voted out of office. Its that big brother liberal thing. I really don't pay any attention to that law. And someone will take it to court. Just another form of waste of tax payers money. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:44 AM   #16
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
It's truly remarkable what legislators get into. I complain that some do nothing and my friend says, ..."we're better off when they don't do anything"

Ditto on my truck is the same as Delaine and Lindy's with autostart.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:49 AM   #17
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I hope I did not offend you guys. i meant the systems without a remote start installed at the factory. Like our explorer,it says you have a security system after the doors are locked,you get a little flashing light on the dash.That will scare em off!!!
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:01 AM   #18
borfaloo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5608

Brad,

I live one city over from Mike, yes we have that law too. Must be a WA state thing. I had never thought about the remote starters but there is a city cop living around the corner and I shall ask him when I see him.

Sean
borfaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:33 AM   #19
priceml
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #183
Send a message via ICQ to priceml Send a message via AIM to priceml
My Impala came with remote start,If you get in you can't even get it out of park unless you put the key in the ignition and tyrn the key on.Nothing works without the key with the computer chip in it.
priceml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:34 AM   #20
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Well in NC they have the same local ordinances in cities that cover the same thing. not state law but local ordinance that they can get you for. Charlotte, Raleigh NC are few as well that do this. they say like Brad said to deter crime, but if it's cold as heck outside and you want to warm up you have to break the law or sit in your cold vechile with it. Crazy ain't it.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote