Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Attempting to Mouse-Proof

We live in a neighborhood with 1acre lots and there are farm fields on two sides of us. Needless to say mice can be a problem. Just before we traded in our TT we had a minor mouse problem and what a pain to clean up, disinfect, etc. Plus with all of the publicity on hantavirus and the fact that we have a 6yr old who likes to play on the floor we decided to do our best to mouse proof our new Monty. So here is what we have done so far:

1. Rolled around UNDER the trailer looking for holes and foamed all of the holes that we could, keeping in mind that we do NOT want to trap any water in there.

2. Any holes that were not foamable (i.e. slide hydraulic, bumper, etc) I very artistically placed aluminum foil swans (read globs). Unfortunately we will have to remove these every time we plan to go somewhere and then replace when we return.

3. The enclosed underbelly is a nice thing until you realize that is like providing a nice 'mouse hotel' where they can conveniently eat your wires without being disturbed by the elements! So after foaming we decided to try and prevent mice from being able to enter the main compartment from the underbelly. We removed all of the panels in the basement on tank side, foamed any holes that we could, placed wire mesh around obstructions that needed air flow, placed wire mesh where the underbelly meets with the basement, put wire mesh across the top of the pass through panels (3" gap at top is inviting!).

4. Place bounce dryer sheets every where I could reach and put Cabfresh in the main upstairs areas (under bathroom sink, under kitchen cabinets, etc). I am thinking of throwing a bunch of these in the underbelly!

Now we are trying to figure out how to keep them out when the snow comes and they can climb the snow banks to get into the underbelly through the leveling leg access points.

I probably sound paranoid...and quite frankly I probably am (at least a little) but after those people died from hantavirus I don't want them in my new trailer. If you have any suggestions on keeping them OUT I would love to hear them. I am willing to try just about anything at this point.

Our biggest problem is going to be in winter when the Monty will have her legs buried in the snow and it will be hard to check every nook and cranny because we would have to dig her out. Let me know what you think I am trying to live by 'An ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure' philosophy!

BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
I also have pictures of the wire mesh install if anyone is interested. Let me know and I will post them...somehow!
Old 09-15-2012, 05:07 AM   #3
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Throw some moth balls in the areas you think you need to protect. It'll keep mice and snakes out. When we were out west for the summer the last two years we got mice in the attic. I pulled the garnish of the vent fans and put a hand full up there at each fan. They didn't stick around long. I put some in the basement and in the front storage area. Never anymore troubles.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:29 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I have found that Millorganite spread around, liberally, also discourages them devils. I use it heavily around the stick built when we go away in the winter.

It is a fertilizer product, made from human waste sludge, slow release, will not burn your grass, trees, shrubs, plants. Will indeed, help feed them, and the deer and mice are discouraged.

Forgot 2 winters in a row, came home to monster infestation in the house. Since then, have not forgotten, and only have had 1 small critter since.

Nope, not a guarantee, but I won't forget again, eh??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
I put moth balls in some of DW old pantyhose and hang it from the propane tanks to keep them out of that area.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Moth balls in panty hose in each area you think they'll use to come in. We also have to use those in our cars and trucks that sit outside. Don't ask the dollar damage a packrat can cause to your truck.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Oldelmer_1...your wife still wears pantyhose! WOW! I gave those up a long time ago! I believe they were originally a torture machine that a man invented to drive women crazy!

Time to go to Wallyworld for some cheapo panty hose since it sounds like you and DQDick do the same thing! It also sounds like DQDick might be speaking from experience on the packrat?!

Old 09-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
We got hit with mice and chipmonks last winter. I put those electronic high pitch systems in all the inside areas as well as the storage area and so far it seems to be working. Now I'm going to put moth balls in the panty hose as suggested around the propane tanks once we winterize the unit.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BusyCarol

Oldelmer_1...your wife still wears pantyhose! WOW! I gave those up a long time ago! I believe they were originally a torture machine that a man invented to drive women crazy!

Time to go to Wallyworld for some cheapo panty hose since it sounds like you and DQDick do the same thing! It also sounds like DQDick might be speaking from experience on the packrat?!

Until they invented other things they could sell for big money, football players also used to wear panty hose if they had to play where it was really cold.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I put those electronic high pitch things in with my silverware. Guess what they did to show me they didn't like it? On my silverware!
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Until they invented other things they could sell for big money, football players also used to wear panty hose if they had to play where it was really cold.
Once again it seems that DQDick is speaking from personal experience!

Pantyhose with moth balls is such a great idea, especially for the propane tank area!
Old 09-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #12
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Carol,

DW only uses pantyhose now when she goes to Church, which is rare anymore. But, we've always used them to hold up our tomato plants, so we've saved all the old pairs for many years. If you don't tie the knot too tight, you can reuse them year after year. I leave them there all year round to help keep the buts out too.

Have you noticed the bottom of the propane storage area is wide open?
Old 09-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That's for safety. A propane leak there, and we had one straight from the factory, will stay out of the coach and hopefully dissipate before and explosion takes place.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #14
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Carol-- We used all that you have and also put steelwool into areas that had holes going up into the belly of the Monte. The little critters can't chew through that stuff. When we stored the Monte outside down on the Platte River bottomland we used to spinkle mothball flakes around each of the wheels and around the front landing gear. Never had a problem when we did that!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #15
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

...we used to spinkle mothball flakes around each of the wheels and around the front landing gear. Never had a problem when we did that!
I am assuming mothball flakes survive snow/rain etc? How often do you have to reapply? Do the moth balls last all winter when you hang them in pantyhose?
Old 09-16-2012, 01:57 AM   #16
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Over the years wehave found Dryer Sheets,Moth Balls and Electronic Plug in's do not work for us
I have attempted to plug all holes,I think the slide is the problem
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:58 AM   #17
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
I use Gorilla tape under the trailer. Clean the surface before application. Good on metal and the poly underbelly. At the openings for the slide out hydraulics, I attach two vertical and 2 horizontal strips to onto the I-beam and against the hydraulic ram. There is some up and down movement when the slides go in and out, but the tape stays in place and maintains closure. We also use steel wool and mouse traps for those lucky enough to get in.
We don't leave any food in the trailer unless in an air tight container or things such as canned goods are Ok. Any scent of food is a strong attractant for the critters.

Dave
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #18
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

That's for safety. A propane leak there, and we had one straight from the factory, will stay out of the coach and hopefully dissipate before and explosion takes place.
I realize its a safety issue, but wouldn't it have been nice if there was some kind of wire screen at the bottom to keep the critters out?
Old 09-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #19
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
I have a feeling plugging the holes is the key to the whole thing! Thanks drsmart for the gorilla tape idea! I would love pictures of how you actually attached it. I have aluminum plugged into the holes BUT the problem is that we have to take it out before we move the slide in/out. That is going to be annoying! I want to find something that we can leave on/in to make sure that we do not have to keep removing and reinstalling it!

I do not know that there is a way to seal all of the holes but I would love to be able to do that! Someone could make a lot of money coming up with an easy way to mouse-proof your trailer! I get to get started inventing something!
Old 09-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #20
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
We won't be at the trailer for a couple of weeks to take pictures so I'll try to describe what I did. At the circular opening that the hydraulic rod for the slide-out passes through the chassis I-beam, clean the surface around the opening. Cut four strips of Gorilla tape, each about 6 inches long. Place one on each side vertically attached to the chassis wall so the edge of the tape is just touching the side of the rod. Then place two horizontally, one on top and one on the bottom, just touching the rod. You could repeat this to add a second layer of tape for more resistance to varmint tampering. When you're done it will look like a round rod passing through a square hole. Gorilla tape makes a 'Tough and Wide' version if you want something stronger.
On our trailer the rod moves in and out on a straight path during slide out extending and retracting. There is a small amount of up and down travel as the slide-out goes in or out but not enough to displace the tape.
I covered all the other openings I could find including the cut outs in the poly for the leaf spring hangers. There was also a large gap the width of the trailer at the bottom of the rear fiberglass cap. While camping a red squirrel was going right up the inside of the rear cap to enter the cavity in the ceiling. Once there it could somehow travel through the ceiling past the insulation. I turned on the air conditioning to scare it out and closed the gap with the tape.

Hope this helps
Dave
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote