Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2009, 04:56 AM   #1
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Sewer boom mod

The sewer boom that came with our new 3455 accomodates a short sewer hose. I wanted to use a 15' Rhino that compresses down to 4'. I figure that with the 15' it will be long enough for most places we go. The one down side of the sewer boom is that the clear elbow doesn't work as it would be inside the boom and out of sight. (Rhino's new hose has a translucent elbow at the sewer end... we'll see if that works ok..if not I'll try a in-line clear connector.)

I first tried using 4" ABS with a coupler. The ABS is slighly different size. The coupler wouldn't go on the boom so I used a dremel to rout it out and make it fit. That would have been ok except the diameter of the boom holder didn't properly hold the ABS. Back to the drawing board. I noticed that the 4" boom that came with the rig had a Valterra cap....so off to CW.

Valterra makes a 46" (other sizes available at CW) for about $25. I just had to cut off the one bracket on the one end and move the handle from the old boom to the new. The 15' Rhino fits just fine.

This appears to be a nice feature as the sewer hose is installed and connected at all times. The 15' hose accomodates most CG's. I have an extra 10' just in case. Another nice benefit is that with the boom extended, the drop to the dump is at a better angle than it was with the clear elbow attached at the rig.

brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:41 AM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
brenkco, I am trying to get in my head how the boom works.
Does the sewer hose connect to the end of the boom or is there a sewer hose inside the boom connected to the ABS sewer pipe?
We are close to ordering a new rig and I want to use my Rhino hose also.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:49 AM   #3
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Jolu,
The sewer hose goes inside the boom and attaches to the rig. The boom acts like a storage unit execept that you don't have to unhook the hose end from your rig. The boom has a pivot point about a foot infront of your sewer connector so it can rotate (almost 180 degrees). They use flex pipe from the boom's piviot point to the rigs connector that allows the rotation and access to the connector if you want to remove the pipe.

Ken
Old 04-06-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

I also went to CW, but they only had the tubes in white, so I didn't get one. I was wanting it in black.

I called Valterra a couple of weeks ago and left a message with customer service, .......never heard back from them.

Looked around at Home Depot, Lowe's, and wholesale plumbing houses. No luck finding anything close to working.

I just called Valterra again and talked to a nice lady. She said that the black was a special run for OEM use, and that white is their normal production color for retail product. They extrude their own tubing, so I imagine that it will be next to impossible to find a suitable equivalent to fit the boom bracket from another source.

She said she would call me back with a price for a 72" carrier in black, but that shipping would probably be a deal breaker, due to being oversize.

brencko, do you think a 36" tube would hold the Rhino 15" hose? If so, then maybe I could have them cut it in half to save on shipping, and have an extra "mod" tube for someone else.

I suppose if worse comes to worse, that I could buy the white one at CW and spray it black with vinyl paint, but any scratches would show through and look pretty ugly. Maybe I should just paint the frame white to match. ........ Nah!!!!

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
SOB used this system. You may check with them. Peterson Inds. sticks in my mind.
BTW: Seems to me that there was a problem if you were too close to the sewer outlet.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
KTManiac,
I went with the white @ CW. I was hesitant but it looks fine next to the white of the RV. Not my 1st choice but it works. DW is normally very sensitive to the color thing was fine with the white...so I am OK with it too!!!

I went with the 46" and the 15' hose just fits. I was surprised that more hose didn't fit into the flex piece of the boom. The 15' Rhino compresses to just about 4' so I don't think that 36" will work even with the flex hose back to the sewer connection. BTW, the 46" fits fine going forward to the garage.

BTW, when we broke down this afternoon, I really appreciated the use of the system. The thing is a significant improvement. Kudos to the designers and manufacture!
Ken
Old 04-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Ken,
What is the length of the boom that comes with the rig? We will be picking ours up in about 10 days and have the 15' Rhino but won't be able to do the mod until we get home. Thanks in advance.
Jack
Old 04-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

The tube part on mine is 23" long.

What we did with ours for the trip home was to unclamp and remove the piece of flex hose from the boom, and just used our Rhino hose in the usual way, as if there were no sewer boom at all.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:30 AM   #9
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Jack,
KTManiac is right...it's about 26". Not sure if the 10' Rhino will fit. You can easily remove the flex hose, it is only one pipe clamp.

Ken
Old 04-08-2009, 05:02 AM   #10
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Thanks for the info guys. That is what we will do. Leaving a week from today to Walnut Ridge in Indiana to pick up the new 3455SA. Hope the weather cooperates.

Jack
Old 04-08-2009, 05:31 AM   #11
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Jack,
Enjoy the new rig...I am delighted with all of the changes and improvements. We did our shake down this past weekend. It was very sucessful. Hope yours goes well too!

Ken