Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #21
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Thanks drsmart for the instructions! That is awesome! I will be making a trip to WallyWorld to purchase Gorilla Tape and get the holes covered up. I don't remember seeing a gap the width of the trailer but we did find to HUGE gaping holes in the two corners of the rear gap that I stuffed a bunch of aluminum foil into. We had chipmunks visiting us in Yellowstone and I was really glad we didn't get any in the trailer!

I am really wondering how small a hole they can actually fit into...because there are LOTS of tiny holes! Lord help us if the service men at the dealership see all of the modifications...they are going to think we are crazy!

BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:16 AM   #22
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Dave What is the width of the gorilla Tape?
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:58 AM   #23
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
The Gorilla tape is about 2 inches wide. They have one on their web site they call 'Tough and Wide' which is 3 inches but I don't know if the hardware stores carry it.

http://www.gorillatough.com/index.php?page=tapes

Dave
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #24
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Dave I understand what you are saying about the tape but when the slide comes in the bracket on slide rod is going push right through the tape?
That is how it appears to me!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #25
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Good question kdeiss but I think he is only taping around the slide rod...at least the way I understood it which on my rig stops before anything would punctured. This is something I want to do ASAP! So I may have to go out and visualize a little more!

My aluminum foil plugs held up to a drive around town. My only disappointment is that they look like crud and I am not sure how long they will stay in place. I want to find a way that is a permanent fix!
Old 09-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #26
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Hate to say it but , a mouse can fit through a hole the size of a pencil. So if they want in they will get in. I plug all the hole i can find and get to with wire screening and spray foam insulation.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #27
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Well swanny...you just burst my bubble! I was hoping that I had made progress and then I walked out to the trailer and there are lots of 'pencil' sized holes! UGH! I guess I have a lot more holes to plug!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #28
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Managed to get out to the trailer today and have a look at the Gorilla tape. As BusyCarol suggested, The slide rod bracket doesn't come close to touching the tape. Our tapes has stayed intact for over a year with several in and outs of the slides.
Something I've thought of doing that would make the closure even tighter would be to cut some inner tube into panels that would be about two inches larger than the opening around the slide rod. Then cut a round hole in the center the size of the slide rod. Cut one slit from the side to the hole to allow slipping it over the slide rod. Cut a small piece of inner tube large enough to patch the cut using a good rubber adhesive and clamp until adhesive has cured. Then use the Gorilla tape to secure the rubber panel to the chassis side wall. This would provide an enclosure around the rod with some flex when the slide goes in and out.

Dave
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #29
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
I just keep thinking that I just may be able to outsmart them! I am hoping I am right!

I LOVE the innertube idea DrSmart! That is a GREAT idea! Necessity is the mother of invention! Guess what I am buying tomorrow?!
Old 09-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #30
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Okay...today I tried a new technique and it WORKED beautifully! Well, it doesn't look beautiful but it is on the underside of the trailer so I am not too concerned with looks. On the bottom of our rear cap there is a very rough cut hole that is about 3" wide in one area and then it tapered down to 1" wide. I could fit my whole hand into it so it was definitely a place a mouse could get into. I believe one of you told me a squirrel was getting into that hole. I put aluminum foil into it but the foil kept moving while we were driving so I needed a different technique. So here is what I did:

1. I measured the hole and how far into the hole I could get screen. Turns out 4"x8" was the magic number!!! So I cut a piece of scree that big, inserted it and drew the weird shape of the hole on the screen.
2. Then I removed the screen cut the piece out making sure to cut a larger piece than the actual shape of the hole. I just didn't want a bunch of extra screen in there in case it rubbed on any wires.
3. Then I inserted a piece of wire into the center of the screen and twist tied it. Once I inserted the screen I used this wire connection to hold it in place while I foamed around the outside of the hole to lock it into place. I foamed through the holes in the screen and around the entire outside edge.
4. Then I waited a couple of hours for the foam to expand and cure and then I removed the wire and voila! A mouse proof hole!

Now many of you are probably asking why I didn't just foam it completely shut. The dealership told me that sometimes when we drive through rain the water can get into the underbelly. If it doesn't have a place to drain or air out it can cause other issues. So I figured I would use some wire screen to let the water out, air in, and definitely keep the mice out!!! The only difficulty is foaming upside down, make sure it doesn't drip into your hair (don't ask) and that you put enough in there. It is not a pretty job of foaming but since I was unable to turn the trailer upside down I am pretty happy with the results!