Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2006, 03:06 AM   #1
M00N1
Established Member

M.O.C. #1624
Swaying trailer when parked

could anyone help us with any fixes to stop the swaying, jiggling of the trailer when we are parked. Specifically what we were thinking about looking into were the jacks that go between the wheels and then tighten them up. Another system we have seen is two bars that go kitty corner from your jacks on the front. Sorry that is the best description I can give.

When we are sitting here and our 60 pound labradoodle decides to follow the dogs outside, we feel we are sitting on a train with all the swaying. Is there any true fixes for this. We have been told that the stabalizer jack on the pin is not the fix for this. What do you all think?

thanks for all your help.

Jo and Rob

M00N1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 03:31 AM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
The front pin stabilizer seems to help ours somewhat, but the best is the between wheel chalks. I also added another set of stabilizers in front of the wheels (similar to the one that is in the back). All of these seem to minimize the motion but do not eliminate it entirely.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 03:36 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Subject currently also being discussed at:

http://montanaadministrator.forumco....C_ID~13216.asp

here on our forum, might help ya
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:39 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I found having the king pin tripod has really helped with the movement in my coach. Does not take it away but sure limits the amount of movement.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:45 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by M00N1

could anyone help us with any fixes to stop the swaying, jiggling of the trailer when we are parked. Specifically what we were thinking about looking into were the jacks that go between the wheels and then tighten them up. Another system we have seen is two bars that go kitty corner from your jacks on the front. Sorry that is the best description I can give.
Jo and Rob
I think the expense of the extra bar system that you describe is not worth the money if you move a lot. If you are parked and living in your rig for 4-6 months between moves, well, then maybe. I've seen them demonstrated and they do seem to work. But I can't find the desire to use them. It's just another "nice" thing.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:55 AM   #6
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
The kingpin stabelizer and BAL wheel chocks work to remove most of the sway and "wiggle-jiggle". Just remember, you are in a travel trailer.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:41 AM   #7
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
I have a 348rls RV and I have found that after I put down 2X6 blocks under the front and rear jacks most of the movement is gone.

I had alot of trouble when jacking up the RV into the dirt or gravel of a pad. Make sure the RV doesn't move back or forward after you lower the jacks or they will get into a bind.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:42 AM   #8
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by M00N1

When we are sitting here and our 60 pound labradoodle decides to follow the dogs outside, we feel we are sitting on a train with all the swaying. Is there any true fixes for this. We have been told that the stabalizer jack on the pin is not the fix for this. What do you all think?

thanks for all your help.

Jo and Rob
Jo & Rob,

If you really want to eliminate the movement and money's no object, here's the system for you:

http://www.bigfootleveler.com/levelers.html

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:53 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've not been able to totally eliminate the movement but have dampened it considerably. The kingpin stabilizer helps. Between wheel chocks on both sides helps. Those are for the horizontal movement. For the vertical movement we added a scissors jack on each side (can go behind or ahead of the wheels). That does pretty much totally eliminate the up and down bounce but not the side to side and fore-aft movement.

One thing, also. Don't crank those rear stabilizers down too hard. For us it seems to work best to bring them down until the pads are flat and snug against the ground. After both are this way I'll go back and crank them another half turn. Any more than that and I'm just lifting the rig off the suspension and trying to support it with those rear stabilizers. They don't do a good job of supporting.

Others may have better ways. This seems to work reasonably well for us. Also, the day after you set up you might go out and tighten the between wheel chocks. When the hot tires cool down they must shrink a little, slightly loosening the chocks. So it seems anyhow. I need to do that to ours soon.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:48 AM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve

Watch for fire ants when you get down there to snug up those pads and chocks. Al got into them doing just that. Nasty critters!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 04:31 PM   #11
M00N1
Established Member

M.O.C. #1624
thanks all for the advice. We are going to camping world to get the tri pod and go from there. Will have a check on the back jacks as well. Thanks, Ken, but money is unfortunately an object but looks like a great system.
M00N1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:05 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

Steve

Watch for fire ants when you get down there to snug up those pads and chocks. Al got into them doing just that. Nasty critters!
I didn't get into any fire ants. Haven't seen any yet and hope I don't. I did get a mess of those little stickers, though. Nasty things those are.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:07 AM   #13
Montana_3696
Established Member

M.O.C. #3696
Bal's Deluxe Locking Chocks are currently on sale at Camping World for the best price I have seen ...

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...11109&src=FPOS

Jim
Montana_3696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:50 AM   #14
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Thanks for the tip, Jim. That's a good price. I just ordered two.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:50 AM   #15
glenwynn
Established Member

M.O.C. #4324
I just had the bars you were taking about installed on the front and back jacks and they work great, a bit costly but they stop the rocking.
If you want to check them out you can send me a email a glenwynn@hotmail.com and i'll send you the phone number I know they are at Quartzsite till Feb

Glen

glenwynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:20 PM   #16
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
MOON1,

Or if you happen to come to Goshen IN and want to pop for a set of Lippert Electric 1 piece rear stabilizers, we will install them at no charge!
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 11:20 AM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dale,
Does the electric jacks provide any more stability over the "manual scissor" jacks? What would an electric set cost??? =)
Old 01-21-2006, 02:17 PM   #18
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Montana Sky,

They have reduced the sway by, in my opinon, 70%. Several of the folks at the Reno Rally observed how they work. Maybe one or two of them can chime in here. I am really satisfied with how they work.

Unfortunatly, they do not come cheap. The suggested retail on these are $550.00. But, like I said, if anyone comes to Goshen and wants a set of these on their Monty, we will install it FREE!

In about two hours, you are on the way. It takes longer to wire up than it does to actually mount them.

Got any takers? In the last several months, we have put several of them on Cedar Creeks and one Montana. We need more of them on Montanas!
Old 01-21-2006, 09:44 PM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dale,
Oh how I wish my coach was not in storage and Goshen was not so far away. Might be up that way in July, going to Minn for family reunion. Not sure if coach is going or not as of yet, but.... free install.... ummm..... Will have to look at the calendar a little closer to see if I can swing it.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:20 AM   #20
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Montana Sky,

If you decide to have one installed, all you have to do is call us about two days ahead of time to let us know when you want to be there and we will make it so.

That goes for all of you reading this thread. It applies to anything you want us to do to your coach as far as repair to slide systems, landing gear, stabilizers and storage trays. We have several good field service techs that can do whatever needs to be done.

Travel safe, everyone.