Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
MY Graphics

We can finally join the club. the graphics on our 06 3400 are finally starting to peel and crack. We check closely every year .They were good last May and bad this May. That is 5 years on on the road in all kind of weather.

Not sure what I will do. Get another set from keystone?? if they would last another 5 years we would be good.. We have a friend that does graphics here mostly on boats who will take a look for a different graphic design????

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Not good, Rich. Mine have been cracking and peeling also. Spoke to Darryl at the Fall Rally. He asked me to give him a listing of the ones that needed replacement which we completed and returned before we left. Nothing heard back. They are getting worse - not all of them just the multi-colored ones. I also have a friend who has a paint and graphics shop. Does all the graphics and lettering on our fire vehicles and ambulances. I thought about just ordering a new set from Burlington and having him put them on. The only thing I wonder is if the set I order is a recent run or one that has been left over from 2004 - 7 years old. Will they last a few years or start cracking and peeling soon? Also thought about having him make a new set. Decisions, decisions. My unit is a 2005 with 2004 graphics. There is a 2006 Brookside by Sunnybrook parked in the lot where I work. I was out looking at them yesterday and they look like new.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Our MONTANA on the front is curling up and the long flat ones on the side is bubbling in the middle and sure will crack soon. have not had time yet to take photos ande sent to Montana and the address I got from the MOC to Burlington.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

The 2007 3400 we just bought has the Montana name curled up on front really bad. I think Keystone Montana should furnish the name decals for free just to get the advertisement!
Old 07-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ours looked good till this year. we are taking the Montana over to the Graphic shop our friend runs in the next couple of weeks and see what they can do. He suspecrs the graphics are just low cost low quality material. we shall see.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Rich ; your idea of low cost is rite with the tires on up . every thing that is done by anybody today is how cheep can we get it . and make some money on the product.
sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Bill,
Surely you are having Summit replace the decals before you take delivery???
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
It's my understanding that replacement graphics still come from Burlington for those model years that Burlington made them. Keystone has changed to a different supplier for their newer model years - I think in 2010 or even later.

We're at the service center and in the time we came in to now, one additional graphic started to show peeling so they are replacing that one, as well. So, we have had just about every graphic replaced.

We had some painting done at a local shop, Spurlock Industries whom we highly recommend, and asked about sealing them with clear. They said it would be the best thing to do but it isn't in our budget at the moment.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Bill,
Surely you are having Summit replace the decals before you take delivery???
Bingo

I may talk with them some more about it.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:47 AM   #10
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Mine are bad as well and I have been waiting and lurking hoping for a definitive answer as far as replacements. My fear is by replacing the existing graphics with the same thing from Burlington would be a waste of time, why trade bad material for "newer" bad material. I'm living with it now but am almost to the point of having a graphics shop remove them all and install my own design. I have not investigated this option and it may be cost prohibitive but ours looks bad now and can only imagine it will get worse.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:04 AM   #11
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I replaced my front graphics about 2 years ago-no cost from Burlington. Did I get new graphics?? Don't know but they are staying put and look great. I would have a hard time believing Burlington would store any graphics for more than a year--space in a warehouse costs money. Graphics are big--almost the entire front cap is one graphic--I cut into pieces to install.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #12
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Our graphics looked terrible, made a decision to go to paint, hopefully will turn out for the best. In the shop presently.
RCMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #13
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Ours being a 09 started from day one when it was new. Dealer replaced some after 6 months of new and they are peeling and spider cracked again in 1 1/2 years. Keystone are supplying both material and labor to replace them again. Quite interesting when it comes to quality. I do restoration projects on antique tractors and use only a 3M product. Many of my decals are 20 years old and still look like the day they were installed.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:18 AM   #14
Concrete John
Established Member

M.O.C. #10725
Send a message via MSN to Concrete John
We have a 2011 3665 RE ,( Unfortunately joining the club) Front cap graphics are peeling and cracking all around the lettering on the "montana". Not pretty, amazing, this rig majority of the time stays put(3 times a yr tavel around the island)Don't know what do really , just not very impressed.( Love the rig )
Concrete John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:40 AM   #15
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Bill,
If they balk at replacing the graphics, do what I do to make them see the light. Wait until the very last signature needs to be signed and tell them that you want them replaced or you will walk. At this point, they are as invested in the sale as you are. I've never failed to get what I was after. I even got up from the table once and started to leave. They folded like a cheap suit.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:51 AM   #16
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Our front graphic is getting really bad now. I think it is just cheap stuff. I have several friends with boats and I never see boat names pealing off, of those that are decals. I have a 20 year old run about with decals on it from when it was new and not one has started to peal away.
If I were Montana, and it were my name, I would do a better job!
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:51 AM   #17
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Too late Jim, Bill's got it sitting next to his house at this moment. I would guess that he is out there already this morning planning the first mods!!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:49 AM   #18
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Let the fun begin!!!
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:31 AM   #19
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Welcome to the club Rich!! Well Burlington Graphics will not stand behind them I tried and they just sent me a sight to purchase new ones for around 1200 plus shipping. I have been working many an hour to take off the graphics that are bad. Seems that any graphic that is a solid color is not having the problems the mixed color ones have. I have been stripping and buffing out all the multiple color graphics and let me tell you it is not a job for the faint of heart. Flat wear your butt out guaranteed. Believe it or not I actually like it better with less. Looks pretty good for the most part. I believe that the worst part is getting the glue off, sticky, messy, nasty, stuff. I have used both Goo Gone spray gel and a 3M graphic remover the 3M working the best for getting the left over glue off. I have also found the best means of getting the old graphic off is to use a window scraper razor. Be careful so you do not gouge the fiberglass got it in a couple of places. About the only thing Burlington Graphics got right in their product is the glue. I also used both a hair dryer which did work but the heat hurts after a while. I also found out the 3M remover works good in a spray bottle at the base of the old graphic while you are pulling it off. Releases the glue pretty good while you get big areas off at one time. I am also using a 7 inch buffer with a heavy wool pad with a polishing compound to clean up the area after removal. The wool pad takes off the oxidation and brings it back to a more matching white. I also believe that a few months of sun will bleach it out so you can't even tell there was a graphic in that location, that being just a hunch. Good luck and have a great time!....LOL

I have 3 big bags of old graphics thought about returning them to Keystone and Burlington Graphics with a thank you note about how impressed I was having to spend all the extra hours not enjoying their product but learning a valuable lesson about what to look for in my next purchase of an RV. Now that this problem has come up it seems that I look at every RV on the road for this problem. Guess what there are a few but the majority DO NOT have this problem.

Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #20
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
As a person who researched graphics in 2007 & 2008 and has removed all the graphics from their 2002 Montana, all I can say is if you are not hiring someone to remove your graphics you should remove your graphics before they start to resemble a crossword puzzle. You'll be sooo sorry if you don't as once they reach the "crossword puzzle" stage, it will take you 10 times longer to remove them and your fingers will never be the same! Ha ha (seriously)

Our Montana is totally naked. We do have another set of graphics to install but the Montana lives in a storage yard that won't allow us to work on it. We have to wait for the weekends to haul it out of there to do any work. And we are still involved in remodeling our house which is being pushed up the ladder of importance to get it finished so the Montana will have to wait for it's new graphics.

Good luck.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote