Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2011, 07:08 AM   #1
KSGirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5859
Anyone deal with Mike Thompson's RV?

Just bought our new 3700 Big Sky from this dealer and we feel like we are on a Merry Go Round. Staying in a Motel while these people get our new RV ready. They are not equipped to handle us Fulltimers in my opinion. Our present 3400 is parked in their lot, but we can't stay in it due to city ordinance because the gate is locked at night. They have spent the last 3 days moving our Satellite and washer over to the new unit. We haven't even begun the moving over of our personal stuff yet! Guess I'm going to educate these people today and they are not going to like it!!!

KSGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
My wife and I went to Mike Thompson on a couple of occasions. First trip was at the beginning of our RV search and we were not impressed with the sales rep assigned to us. Pretty condescending and arrogant.
Later in our process (before buying) we went again to look at the specific model we ended up buying. They were not really willing to come close to the price we wanted and basically told me it was impossible for us to get our unit for the price I told them (no, actually it was quite possible ). We would have bought from them if they came even close to our price, but I ended up buying out of state and saving around $4k.
So it was not a real positive experience for us, hope it works out OK for you folks.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
We bought our Monty from Mike Thompson in Fountain Valley. We first encountered them at a local RV show where everybody was represented and the Mike Thompson sales folks were our best meetings and they were pushing several Keystone units and the Montys were our favorite.

We met them at another RV show once again and they were equally great to work with. Again we were unable to buy but did work some highly discounted "RV Show" prices which they said any Mike Thompson would honor them.

Months later we decided to buy and went Fountain Valley and made what we thought was a successful purchase. I am only bringing this up because the sales department was very cooperative and considerate and treated us very nicely.

Then we met the service department. What a difference. When talking to service reps it was always someone else's fault for delay, didn't know how to do anything quickly and efficiently and messed up a couple of things, too. They taught me to do my own work and I think I am better for it because of it. I have only used the service department in the Mike Thompson Colton center, but I'll never go back. The negativities I experienced implied these were they "policies", therefore I had no reason to believe the excuses would occur at the Fountain Valley or Santa Fe Springs locations.

The good news is that you bought your new rig there, the bad news is you need their service department to get it ready. For me they were the slowest service department I had ever encountered for ANYTHING (cars, trucks, appliances, house work, etc). If you are getting anything done and not paying them for that work, then you will be at the lowest rung in the priority ladder. You are probably lower than their rest and lunch breaks. If you want the long details for the hardships I had, then let me know.

I realize it might be too late for you but you should have put a "time is of the essence" in your Sales contract and they pay your costs after a certain time. Good luck and I hope you don't have to wait much longer.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:51 AM   #4
arcateq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10837
Send a message via AIM to arcateq
We bought our 2010 Montana High Country 333DB from them Mike Thompson RV in Colton and they are HORRIBLE. In fact i am on week three of it being in their for warrantee work (tuesday will start week 4). They assured me it would only be two. I will be going on vacation with the Montana logo off the front of it because they want $380 bucks to buff JUST the TOP of the front cap! I will be doing that myself for that kinda of money and got a price for the WHOLE trailer for that. They are SLOW and have ZERO craftsmanship they are replacing the wallpaper boarder for the third time that they cannot get straight. This time they called me to say they ripped the wall board off with it.. of course had to order and 10 bucks says it wont match. I am riding out the one year warrantee with them but after that they will NOT see me. I have not one positive thing to say about them.

Sales Great! Finance Horrible! Service Horrible!
arcateq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
We also bought from Mike Thompson, what FOOLS we were. Sales people tell you anything, service people do nothing.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
We also had a good sales experience with the sales department in Fountain Valley. We get our serviced in Colton as we live closer to that location. We have had issues with getting things done as needed.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Sails department bent over backwards fo us for the sale and thats as far as it goes, there service department is the worst @ 119.00 per hour labor and a bunch of dummies doing the work, I dont realy wany to talk about it but here is an idea of what to expect. To replace a dark tank according to Keystone and the tank manufacture 5 to 8 hours at the most, it took Mike Thompson 2 months. I dont know what you are having done over there but I hope it's not to complicated or requiring parts from Keystone. better off going to camping world in my oppuin.
Good luck.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #8
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Bought mine in Colton. Sales worked with me and my service rep was good but the so called techs they must got off the soup line. Everything they did I had to redo. Won't go back there for service.
mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Wow, makes me very glad I didn't end up buying from these guys! How do they do business with service like that?
The place I have gone for the few things I've had done is excellent but they are kinda in the "middle of nowhere" out here in the high desert.
All Valley RV in Acton, Ca. for the record!
Old 06-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #10
KSGirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5859
Now for the update...same song second verse! Showed up this afternoon expecting an orientation and we were told it won't take place until Monday because their techies don't work weekends! That means 3 more nights at the motel. You could have heard me scream all the way to Kansas. We missed our granddaughter's birthday and that didn't help. And then they blamed Keystone when we told them we were told the end of April for delivery and here it's June...sing me another song. We told them we needed to start moving our stuff and we weren't waiting until Monday...the techs aren't here..but we are! We are going to do our PDI as we are moving, so this ought to be interesting. If we find problems we will address them on Monday. They want us to try our washer but there are no full hookups. Needless to say our salesman was hanging his head when we left. If anyone wants to PM me please feel free to do so. Coleen
KSGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #11
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
I purchased our tt from MT and now our Monty. I was able to get a good price, but I must admit, the service dept is not very efficient. I have 3 small issues on the Monty that I am going to have done by them but I will take the day off and be right there with them as they do the work. Since they are small issues, I'm not too concerned. For any significant warentee work I will find another dealer or warentee service location to do it. This is what I did with our tt and it worked out ok.
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:15 AM   #12
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Coleen and Ray,

I can feel your frustration in your post.
Judy and I hope it all comes to a happy ending.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:29 AM   #13
KiwiRVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9832
We purchased our Mountaineer from Mike Thompson's. We purchased it at a show but said we wanted it delivered at the factory. Factory rep was at the show and arranged for a local (Middleborough, IN) RV service centre to take care of picking it up and PDIing which Mike Thompson's paid for. Service centre was Fox RV (http://foxrv.us/) and I cannot speak highly enough of Larry Fox and his team. Not only did they pick it up and PDI for us, they stored it for several weeks and when we came to pick it up they let us stay on their lot for about a week while we prepare it for our travels.

Mike Thompsons were good to work with in arranging all this and the paperwork.
KiwiRVer is offline   Reply With Quote