Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2008, 07:10 AM   #1
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
Goose neck vs 5th wheel

I have probably ask this somewhere before, but for the sake of discussion, I'll ask again. I've always been puzzled why a 5th wheel hitch, mounted to the frame of the TV, is rated so much lower than a goose neck hitch. I have a 16K Reese 5th wheel hitch, but by installing the Reese goose neck plate to the same rails, that hitch combination is now rated for towing 25,000lbs GTWR, and up to 6250lbs of pin weight. I have an Anderson Manufacturing goose neck adapter which is rated for towing 24,000 Lbs GTWR and 6000lbs pin weight.
Why would the goose neck set-up be any less safe or capable than the 5th wheel hitch when it is rated at a greater weight capacity? Or is it the method of attachment that makes the 5th wheel hitch more desirable / safe? Would the goose neck set-up not tow the Monty reliably?

Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:46 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I'll admit to ignorance of the engineering justifications for either towing system. What I do know is that Keystone recommends against the goose neck arrangement in favor of of the 5th wheel. There are warranty issues involved and that is all I need to know. By-the-way, I have the B&W Turnover Ball with a Companion Hitch and could easily go either way. I don't think the issue is weight capacity, rather how the different towing forces stress the RV frame.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:07 AM   #3
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Stiles,

You have hit the nail right on the head!
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:58 AM   #4
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
There is a Montana here in our park that is being towed with a goose neck. The gentlemen was told that it would void his warranty if he changed it. He apparently changed the manner of his hitch to the goose neck and told me that his Montana is a piece of ****. He told me the number of miles towed. I advised him that we had towed our Montana three times as many miles as he has and things aren't falling off of the walls.

Guess if I see him outside again I will mention your posts to him.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
The issue has to do with the length of the hitch between where it attaches to the frame of the trailer and where it encounters the fixed head of the hitch in the bed. A fifth wheel hitch sits tall in the bed where as the goose neck connects at the bed of the truck. The lever arm on the goose neck is approximately twice as long. Therefore, for the same pulling or stopping force you are putting twice as much torque on that part of the trailer where the hitch attaches. You can demonstrate this with a broom handle. Grip the broom handle near the bottom with the stick pointed up. Have your wife grip the stick 6 inches above your hand. Now pull -- you can put a pretty good force on her arm with out too much twisting.. Now have her grip the handle a foot above your hand instead. Now when you pull you will notice a much greater twisting force.

If the trailer manufacturer was designing for a gooseneck, the attachment to the trailer could be designed to handle these torsional forces. But, that's just not the case with most fifth wheel trailers.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
Thanks for all your replies. Dave, I've seen the "because someone said so" responses before. Thank You, for your response. It is the first one that actually addresses the why of it, and with the greater weight of the Monty, I can visualize the increased torque it would place on the frame. Makes perfect sense now. I really appreciate everyone here. Now instead of feeling dumb, I feel educated. (not to mention I have been swayed from doing something stupid)

Colleen, I would definitely bring this to that guys attention. He's tearing up his investment and either doesn't know or doesn't care. It's the reason I ask stupid questions, I can't afford another rig right now.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:02 AM   #7
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Four-Seasons RV (our local Montana dealer here) has a couple of letters posted to their bulletin boards, just as you walk in the door -- Now I wish I had paid more attention for brand names -- however, one of the letters flat states that modifying the towing assembly, or using an adapter, to use a Goose-Neck hitch will void the manufacturers warranty on components involved. The other letter from another manufacture simply said that use of goose-neck adapters was not recommended and damages incurred would be addressed on a case by case basis to determine if such use was the cause before warranty work would be approved.

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:00 AM   #8
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
We had this discussion a few years ago. Lippert is the manufacturer of the trailer that the Montana is built upon and I did call their engineering office about it. Lippert's position is that a gooseneck acts as a lever on the pinbox adding stress to the welds that they do not warranty.

I also have the B&W Hide-A-Ball system with the original intention to use a gooseneck but switched to the B&W Companion after talking directly to the manufacturer.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:07 AM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
The reply's are correct about the warranty issue. I have seen several towing with the Gooseneck adapter, and most say they have never had a problem? I would never take the chance. I have a Gooseneck equipment trailer which hauls the John Deere's, and if you look you can see why the 5th wheels just aren't compatible, different gussets and different type reinforcements. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:12 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I don't believe it's worth the risk of voiding the warranty. I also have met a guy with a Montana that has a gooseneck and swears by it. Says he's never had a problem. From my memory (waaaay back) the fulcrum and leverage created by the gooseneck does put strain on the pin box area.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:18 PM   #11
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
I've towed my not quite 13K lbs loaded used 05 Montana Big Sky 3670 for only 2600 miles so far using the STAR Performance Gooseneck adapter which incorporates a gliding motion with no problems to date. The roads I travel are usually interstate and paved. I did get the trailer stuck once in a grass field that was too wet. One pickup pulling via a chain on the rear trailer axle and my pushing did not break anything.
I went this way as the similarly used dually I bought already had a robust 'turnover' ball installed.
Having a completely clear long bed has come in very handy several times.
Another benefit is I think it would be impossible to drop the trailer on the bed as apparently often happens with the standard Fifth Wheel Hitch. Perhaps more time will tell if the Lippert frame and pinbox survive a little additional stress...
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote