Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2018, 04:58 PM   #1
dke1955
Established Member

M.O.C. #20643
very close to pulling trigger...advice/answers please

Very strongly considering 3791RD. The storage on this unit is unreal, I honestly don't think I could fill it up...(well I say that now). I have been ghosting here for many months trying to educate myself. SO... I like the fact the 3791 has hydraulic slides, is prepped for solar panels, generator prepped, upper end entry stairs, residential fridge. I asked salesman today if the owner would have any issues with an intensive PDI (using recommendations from MOC), to which salesman said "no problem". Anyway, there is always a woulda coulda shoulda, at least for me, and I would like to make sure I miss as few check points as possible...which given the information I have gathered over the months of ghosting here I feel pretty confident. Truthfully my overriding concern is given all the problems folks have with their units over the last few years....even mentioning a class action suit on this forum, do you owners believe the basic quality is there OR is the whole purchase a crap shoot!!
Any advice would be truly welcomed. Thanks everyone!

dke1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:28 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have full timed since 2011 in both a 2010 Monty and now a 2017. Our 2017 had only minor issues while our 2010 had to have an emergency repair (Keystone reimbursed me for a non-dealer repair when one wasn't available) and then they looked at it at the National Rally and took it right in the service center to fix a slide issue. We also happened to notice on the PDI on the 2010 that the front landing gear was cracked and it was replaced before we took it home. The 2017 had the AC issues that are supposed to be fixed on the new ones and a couple of other minor things, but no big deals. While there were some things we felt were put together better on the old rig there are far more things on the new one that showed that Keystone had listened to us over the years and made it better. Basically we are happy with the new one and, if we had to, would not hesitate to buy another new one.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:42 PM   #3
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
We have the 3791RD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dke1955 View Post
Very strongly considering 3791RD. The storage on this unit is unreal, I honestly don't think I could fill it up...(well I say that now). I have been ghosting here for many months trying to educate myself. SO... I like the fact the 3791 has hydraulic slides, is prepped for solar panels, generator prepped, upper end entry stairs, residential fridge. I asked salesman today if the owner would have any issues with an intensive PDI (using recommendations from MOC), to which salesman said "no problem". Anyway, there is always a woulda coulda shoulda, at least for me, and I would like to make sure I miss as few check points as possible...which given the information I have gathered over the months of ghosting here I feel pretty confident. Truthfully my overriding concern is given all the problems folks have with their units over the last few years....even mentioning a class action suit on this forum, do you owners believe the basic quality is there OR is the whole purchase a crap shoot!!
Any advice would be truly welcomed. Thanks everyone!

We have that unit 2017 3791 RD. Would I purchase this unit again? Yes. Are there things I wish were different? Yes.

We are full-time so the extra outside storage is wonderful, but you do give up indoor storage/cabinets in the Rear Den (RD). We also like the Bunk Room (BR) unit and would have used the BR as an office. But, we prefer the separate living spaces provided by the step-up into the RD. The 3971RD seems to us to be more like a house with separate rooms - more personal space.

As far as operational issues - We don't like the pivot door, it never worked and fell apart. We have had issues with the hot water heater but I really look at the water heater as a issue with Suburban - the manufacture.

Otherwise, we have rarely had any problems (knock-on-wood).
awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:59 PM   #4
Cubbie
Established Member

M.O.C. #20155
We bought our 2018 3791rd last June. We could not be happier. We have owned three other units in our 12 years of full timing but this is our dream unit. We added a washer and dryer. We love them. We added a propane generator and glad to have it. We have had a few minor issues but nothing major. Having full timed for 12 years we are use to sone problems but have dealt with them. We are replacing the bathroom door with an accordion door. This is a personal preference for us. We are going to the September MOC Rally in Goshen and will have them look at our LED lighting in the living room. We want to change out the toilet but other than that we are happy.
Cubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:45 PM   #5
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I liked the 3791. DW did not. She felt it was not open enough. She also did not like the step on the slide to reach the stove.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:11 PM   #6
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
dke,

Overall we are happy with our rig. Some minor issues but nothing big. Would buy again.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:55 AM   #7
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Right now the worst quality issues are with the newer High Countrys. If you stick with Montana, you should be fine.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:06 AM   #8
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
We have the sister to the 3791, the 3790RD. Ours is a '16.5 model and we love this unit. Did we have trouble with it? Yes. It went beck to the factory for break in the nose and was gone for nearly 4 months. Since it has come back, we've had virtually no problem with the unit. We also had the problem with the AC units that was well documented by LOTS of folks, but that has been worked out as well. We still love the floor plan and the storage even more. Would we buy one again? Most likely! The entire RV industry is having quality control issues as they are building them WAY to fast so they can meet demand.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:49 AM   #9
Steveopsak

M.O.C. #22455
3790 rd

My wife and I picked up our 2018 3790RD just about 3 weeks ago in WA and have made it to SC with no major issues. A few of The finish side panels in the slide out storage are coming loose due to the “nails” they use to fasten them but this was easily fixed with self tappping screws. Once you understand the mechanics of the bathroom door it is also easy enough to fix. Some of the screws and bolts used for the wheel trim have fallen out so you may need a few replacements along they way. Other than that... we love it. The storage is awesome.
Steveopsak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:51 AM   #10
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
We are very happy with our 2018.5 3791RD and have been full-timing for 8 years now. BTW the 3790/3791 has 2 hydraulic slides in kitchen/dining and the other 3 are Schwintek electric. This is our 3rd Montana all bought new and no major issues with any of them.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:40 AM   #11
dke1955
Established Member

M.O.C. #20643
Thanks everyone for the replies...this has been a long road...and I appreciate your comments and opinions! Have a great Labor Day!
see ya
dave
dke1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:14 AM   #12
Jersey Devil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20374
We had a few issues with our new 2018 Montana 3731FL but it seems it’s that way with any other brand.They are mass producing to keep up to demand like anything else some things slip thru inspection.Overall it’s a good buy and we are enjoying our new RV.
I believe more then anything do your homework about the dealers reputation with the consumer.Take your time with the PDI and demand any issues be repaired before final paperwork.
A good relationship with a reputable dealer that has your back and will stand up for you is important.
Good luck and enjoy your new venture.
Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:13 PM   #13
Sandra_David
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20440
Good luck with your purchase. We picked the BR over the 3970RD but it is a personal choice of what works best for you. We had a few issues, the worst being dead batteries on our cross country trip. Dealer replaced batteries and will continue to monitor them and the charging system.
Welcome to the MOC
Sandra_David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #14
mchurch314
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22121
Bought a 2019 20th anniversary edition 3791RD two months ago. Have only taken it on one trip and found two minor issues (a small leak in a living area slide during a monsoon and the ice maker not working). Both have been fixed and we are up and running. Love the storage and the separation between the living area and the kitchen created by the step up. I've made a lot of mods to help with boondocking (ie. soft starts on AC's so I can run on small Honda Generators, oversized batteries, etc.) so that has been my biggest challenge but getting it all worked out. I also bought the 7 years extended warranty (make sure you negotiate the price) because RV's, in general, are notorious for problems.
mchurch314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:25 PM   #15
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
You will have problems. These are not Mercedes Benz. However, if you are prepared as you seem to be you will have better success in the long run. A lot of issues you will find should have never occurred and or caught and repaired by the dealer. More than likely you will very much enjoy the rig, just have fair expectations. Ironically, having a trailer in good shape is a requirement to wearing it out
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:10 PM   #16
Carriage House with View
Established Member

M.O.C. #18240
Lost my long post- dern - if interested in new 3790rd - off assembly line dec '17- used 3 times - 5 year extended warranty - still under manufacture warranty- let us know - we got it to travel to see grandkids- i dont fly - and we found house - wherr are you? Will consider selling ford 250 -
Carriage house with view
Carriage House with View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:22 PM   #17
Wifeykelly

M.O.C. #22336
We have a 2019 3790 RD and have been full time since May. Bar in closet broke after a couple weeks( honestly had way too much on it) hubby fixed it and everything has been great. Love the new colors and no carpet in the living room. We sold our house lock stick and barrel so the storage is all we have left and there is still room for more. Love it!
Wifeykelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:11 PM   #18
Rcerne
Established Member

M.O.C. #17861
Have a 2018 Montana 3701 LK and have no regrets buying it. Some small details needed to be addressed at closing, but were quickly fixed to my satisfaction.
Rcerne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:21 PM   #19
jas

M.O.C. #17667
3790RD Love it

I have a 2015 3790 RD and love it only minor issues
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:07 PM   #20
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Get an extended warranty...you're going to need it.