Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2006, 02:42 PM   #21
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Guys I too am an old street rodder from the past and still feel the need for speed. However, I am like Glenn and love the performance of my truck as is. I have had previous with Banks packages with did improve performance, but the cost of the kits to performance gain to fuel usage just did not add up any more. The only thing I have done to my truck is a cold air intake and larger exhaust....no more chips.

Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:26 AM   #22
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave e Victoria

Hmmm.. Seems to me "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." was buried by the "continuous improvement" theories invented in America but championed by the Japanese.
And when the big three or even the Japanese make a "continuous improvement" I may buy into it but not when the aftermarket manufacturers, who are only in it for the money, are selling aftermarket junk that is not only unnecessary but will in all probability void any transmission or engine manufacturers warranty. Everyone do yourself a big favor and before having this aftermarket junk added on ask the vehicle manufacturer and the aftermarket manufacturer who is going to warrant your engine or tranny.
Oh yeah, don't think or one minute that you can remove this junk before taking the TV in for service. With the new technology built into the TVs computer they will know what you did and remember if the TV manufacturer says you voided the warranty it is up to you and more of your bucks to prove them wrong.

Quote:
To me, it is a safety margin I am willing to pay a couple of bucks for.
Couple of Bucks???? Dave, when you blow that engine or tranny and GM says "Sorry Dave, you have voided your warranty by using this aftermarket junk." Than we'll see just what "a couple of bucks" really do add up to.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:22 AM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:

One more vote for Allison. I have no experience with a programmer on a Ford. But, I have lots of experience with GM Duramax / Allison. Michigan relatives are GM people so have near a dozen GMC and Chevies in the family ranging from 2003 to 2007. All running Hypermax with zero problems. I previously had a 2003 programmed at level three. It had over 70,000 miles and maybe 30,000 towing. No problem with engine or transmission.
Now, Lonnie, why would it make a difference to the tranny how extra horsepower was derived? Indeed, the electronic method has the ability to prevent stress by monitoring all the parameters collected in the engine and transmission computers. Exhaust and intake mods offer no such ability by themselves.
I sort of knew I was opening a can of worms when I started this thread -- but, isn't it fun?
Those year Fords had the old 4R100 transmissions, not the newer and much stronger TorqShift. I run ours stock simply because I don't see a need for more power. If more power is a turn on for you, go for it. Maybe someday I'll change my mind but for now I'll stay stock. I also was a faster is better guy when I was a kid, to the point of even drilling out the rear jets in the 4 barrel carburetor (couldn't afford to buy new jets when I could drill the old ones!).
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:08 AM   #24
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I'm on that "leave it stock" side. I find too often I'm zoned out after passing someone on the four lane and somehow lost track of my speed...(likely running 70+ mph?!). I come back to reality and have to lighten up on the right foot to what its all about RV = Relaxing...we'll get there when we get there. North East hills don't need to be climbed faster than 60 mph and would only be fighting my fat right foot with any more power.
I'm still high on the diesel fumes as this truck was my first diesel experience and everytime it starts up...I smile from the tapping sound of combustion w/o spark plugs.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:31 AM   #25
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
I am on the side of strickly stock as well. Our old 02 Chevy D/A never had problems with injectors but it seems anyone who admitted to chipping had problems. Just my opinion!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:20 PM   #26
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
While it is not an engine mod, how does and exhaust brake for an 02 7.3 F350 fit into this discussion? I am thinking of the PacBrake with the torque converter lockout. Sometime in February.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 04:26 AM   #27
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
I have to agree with Glenn, I used to race some in my younger days ! one thing you have to consider with adding more hp an torque, theres always a "weak" link unless you take care of it when u add the extras, as in transmissions mostly, u-joints just to mention a couple. havent had this rig very long but so far it has "nuff' stuff for this old guy! Aint in no big hurry anyway did all the fast stuff yrs back. LOl, but if you guys like "awsome" then do it, just make sure you have beefed up the tranny and by all means get guages!
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:01 AM   #28
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Although I'm not planning on doing anything to my engine, if I was going to some how tweak it, it would certainly not be until the warranty had expired. There are all sorts of warnings in my owner's manual about "After market performance enhancement kits." It says they may have "detrimental effects on the performance and life of the powertrain." Not worth it to me.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:08 PM   #29
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Just another consideration, these aftermarket sales people don't tell you about is the change in drivability. When you put these mods on it changes the way the power comes on, I call it light switch performance. Sometimes just too much power. We installed the Banks Power Pack on our 95 because I wanted the intercooler and round tubine outlet pipe. I have to be very careful on wet or slippery pavement with the way the power comes on now. Catches you by suprise every now and then especially in heavy traffic. And I waited til the warranty expired on the truck.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote