Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2018, 05:58 PM   #1
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Water Pump

My water pump is very loud when operating. It is making the lines vibrate badly and its also cycling on/off every3 to 5 minutes, even when nothing is running. We do have the residential fridge with ice maker, but it takes longer than 5 minutes to make ice so I`ve ruled that out.

It seems to me like it is losing water pressure causing it to cycle crazily like that.Anyone have any other ideas I can look into? Or better yet a solution.

CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:08 PM   #2
westin-on-wheels

M.O.C. #19402
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarWin View Post
My water pump is very loud when operating. It is making the lines vibrate badly and its also cycling on/off every3 to 5 minutes, even when nothing is running. We do have the residential fridge with ice maker, but it takes longer than 5 minutes to make ice so I`ve ruled that out.

It seems to me like it is losing water pressure causing it to cycle crazily like that.Anyone have any other ideas I can look into? Or better yet a solution.
Is your normal/fill valve in the normal mode? If in the fill, it will do that.
westin-on-wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:52 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If that's not it, check the connections on you pump. If the connections aren't tight that could also cause it. Also, they are all loud even if you replace it with a quiter pump, put foam under it, and put a quieter on the lines it will still be loud, just not as loud. You know how I know.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:03 PM   #4
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Thanks to both of you, weston-on-wheels and DQDick for the responses.

Yes my valve is in the "fill" position, will change it for this weekends trip.

Will also check all connections on the pump again, did that prior and found no leakage's ASSUMED was all tight, not just a visual inspection.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:35 AM   #5
rslopez65
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19789
Quote:
Originally Posted by westin-on-wheels View Post
Is your normal/fill valve in the normal mode? If in the fill, it will do that.
That is what happened to us on one of our first trips. Felt really stupid but we have never had a fill mode before. Switched it to normal and quiet as a mouse now.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:59 AM   #6
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Yes, just fixed my "leak" this morning. Thanks
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 03:28 PM   #7
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Switching the lever from "Fill" to "Normal" solved the issue! Thanks to all that responded!
Old 09-10-2018, 11:27 AM   #8
Donjamin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22148
Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
Thank you for this post. We just bought our new to us, 2016 3060 RL. We are on our first camping trip and after filling the fresh water tank, I turned the valve back to normal operation. The water pump started running off and one every couple of minutes. I then noticed water dripping from the underside of the trailer and the storage bay floor was wet next to where the water pump is located. I undid the service panel cover and found a leaking joint on the backside of the service panel. I tightened the joint and problem solved. for the search function on the Montana forum.

D.
2015 Ford F-250 SD 4X4
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:55 PM   #9
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
They put the cheap Flowjet pumps in there to save money bc most people who own them are usually connected to full hookups. After we picked up our 2018 3121RL I replaced the flowjet with a Shurflo 4008 which we had in a previous RV and works well not loud and was very easy to swap out.

The pump is located in the wall behind the water doc so I did it from the basement. The Shurflo gives better pressure then some CG’s and not loud.

We learned a lesson years ago when we use to pull into CG’s I never kept water in my tanks then after two trips when the CG’s had water problems we learned to fill our tanks when we get to a CG just in case. And never looked back. We use the fresh water tank on our last few showers to use the water up if not we empty our tank before we leave the CG.

MFG’s will skimp on certain things to save $ some of it makes sense ie the water pump in an RV, other’s well I have no clue why they do it
Old 09-11-2018, 06:20 PM   #10
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
We always travel with a full tank of water and do not even hook up to the campgrounds water unless we are staying more than 7 days or so. One reason being, we know we have our good well water with us, but we don't know the water quality we will get at any campground. Plus I don't have to hook up or disconnect any water hoses/filters/pressure regulators etc.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:57 PM   #11
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I just changed my water pump to the Shur-Flo 4008 and also installed a silencer on the water line. There is no comparison between the old and new pump. I can't tell if the silencer or pump did the most good or both but for 86.00 and about an hour of work i reduced my noise at least 80 or 85 percent. I do not have any more hammering and buzzing sound as before. It is slightly more quite with the shroud in the convenience center off than on. This is probably because the shroud is very thin so there is a little echo of noise. . I'm going to glue a 1/2'' thick piece of styrofoam to the shroud and that should take care of a little more noise. If i had known this worked this well then i would have done this a long time ago. This mod is no gimmick.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote