Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2007, 06:07 AM   #1
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
Landing Gear Motor

Recently my landing gear motor started to misbehave and then ceased to work completely.( Why do these things always happen just before departure on a trip?) I checked the voltage at the motor to elininate the possibility that it might be the fuse or switch. The voltage was OK when switch was depressed. Since we will be on the move shortly and I did not look forward to hand cranking and/or a long wait at the dealer for a new motor, I decided to pull the end plate off the motor to see if it might be the brushes. Sure enough one of the brushes was stuck in its guide preventing it from comming in contact with the armature. A bit of light filing of the rough spots on the brush ensured its smooth operation in its guide. Reassemply requires patence and care but was not too difficult. The two long screws that hold the end plate must be realigned with holes at the other end of the motor while a small piece of wood can be used to hold the brushes back. Also thanks to the postings concerning the drivers side propane regulator. As soon as I smelled gas I knew where to start looking. The dealer had one left in stock and agreed to hold it until I got there. This site is worth its weight in gold!

berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:49 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks for your fix on that, we have learned something today.
You do miss the luxury of a landing gear motor, when it goes kaput.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote