Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2005, 04:51 AM   #1
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Better times Ahead

Well my wife [JOY] made me very happy yesterday. She put in her two weeks notice to retire. She works at one of the two large hardware stores as manegment and at that position you are married to the store rather then your spouse. I have two weeks off every month and 45 days off once a year for vacation so we will be on the road quit a bit more.
Mel

melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:36 AM   #2
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Sounds like the two of you are ready for some serious RVing, among other activities. I am envious of your two weeks a month. Even the summer vacations from school—increasingly shorter I might add with only seven full weeks for me this year—do not add up to that liberty! Have fun and enjoy your time together!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:10 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:two weeks off every month and 45 days off once a year
If i figured that right you work about 4 1/2 months a year. Now that's a work schedule I could work with. Almost as good as being retired.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:31 AM   #4
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
Thats better than being retired. Look at your pension checks then look at his for being (employed?)
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:43 AM   #5
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Ya it ain't a bad job. But the time I am at work is 24/7 and is at sea, that is like being in jail with the possible of drowning. But Yes I guess that I can't complain to much. It is the best job for people that like to travel I only have to go to work once per month for 15 days than off for 15 days. When the weather is good it can be the best place in the world to work, but when the weather gets bad........
Well we won't go there.
Mel
Old 07-06-2005, 04:12 PM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Congratulations on Joy's retirement. Hope you get to spend a bunch of time in your Montana.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 02:45 PM   #7
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Mel has neglected to tell you while he is working the 15 days on, he is on a schedule of 6 hrs. on & then 6 hrs off, for the entire 15 days which if he never had any overtime (which never happens, last month he had 37hrs of OT)he works 12 hr. days. Remember the time he has off is used to eat,sleep,etc.Which means last month, he worked an average of 14 1/2 hrs a day, with very short sleep time breaks.

It's not all as great as it might sound. and since I worked in Sr. Mgmt. at a store that is 1/2 hr. drive away, and am scheduled 10 hr. days, I'd be gone 11 to 12 hrs a day as well. So...I wasn't home much either, he has had to do double duty on the yard work etc that would build up. (It seemed there was no rest for the wicked!)

Anyway, be carefull of what you wish for. It could happen to you! I am hoping that I can relieve alot of his stress & worry about getting things done at home now, since I'll be home to do a good bit of it. So then we can travel during his time off instead of house and yard work.

Joy
Old 07-10-2005, 05:11 PM   #8
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
Sounds like my wife, Jen. She is a 2nd mate on an oil tanker. Works 10 weeks on 10 weeks home...give or take a few days. When she's working it's 4 hours working, 8 hours off...plus OT.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 06:57 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I am still basking in the reality of my wife being retired, at home, rested, energetic, and happily without stress. I know this will be good for you folks. Take it from a marriage counselor.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 03:52 AM   #10
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
We are also looking forward to retirement, but compared to what some of you folks do, we've got it pretty easy. We both work office/desk jobs for the City of Los Angeles Harbor Department (we met here). As of this morning, we have 1 year, 8 months, and 14 days to go. Actually, it may wind up being a little longer, but we can retire when Shari turns 55. Then it's off to Prescott AZ and a lot of long trips in our Montana. Good Luck Mel & Joy and all you others.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:44 AM   #11
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Fred, my heart goes out to you and Jen. It can sometimes be tough being married to a mariner. It has always been difficult for Mel to make the adjustments from work to home and back again. And it's also nice to find someone who really understands the lifestyle, as it is very hard to imagine for most. Mel works as chief on the tugs that bring the tankers into the refineries, small world huh.

Joy
Old 07-11-2005, 10:31 AM   #12
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
They tell me it is great to be married to a woman with a pension! I know I can't wait to have one.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote