Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2005, 06:47 AM   #1
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
Ovens!

We are getting to take our Monty in for warranty work on the oven. The pilot won't stay lit when you change the temperature setting. Is anyone else having problems lighting the pilot? What a pain!!! I don't know why they can't have a electronic ignighter like the top burners! Any comments????

DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:37 AM   #2
jackw87
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3007
I had the same problem on the 3255RL taht I had before the one I have now I took it in for warrenty to fix it and they never did so I called the Oven Mfg and they sent me the parts and I fixed it my self after that I had no more problems with the oven It was the regulater behind the oven knob on top of the stove
jackw87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:48 AM   #3
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
hmmmmm, you can buy those igniters for BBQ grills. Maybe someone here will get ambitious and try installing one. I think it just takes a few holes to be drilled.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:38 AM   #4
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
VanMan,
Interesting idea....but that's one modification that I won't attempt, unless it's an upgrade from (or approved by) the oven manufacturer.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:06 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm with you on having an igniter. I have to wonder if there's a reason none have one. Anyone know?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 06:18 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
In today's technology it makes me wonder why the oven has not changed on these units in at least the 15 years we have been RVing. I think I could bake easier with my foil lined cardboard box with briquettes inside I made in Girl Scouts for tent camping.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:46 PM   #7
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
The built-in igniter on our BBQ at home is mechanical and is positioned directly over the gas manifold. As the gas reaches it a spark will ignite. I believe that's the same way the igniter on the range top works. Don't see how that would work for the oven.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:30 AM   #8
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
The oven has a thermocoupler to prevent a gas leak when the flame goes out. The pilot provides enough heat to keep the thermocoupler open and ignite the burner. To use the "spark" type igniter you would have to eliminate the thermocoupler or use similar technology that the fridge, water heater and furnace use. Problem is that the oven is a non vented area, unlike the other gas appliances. A gas leak inside the oven can turn it into a "BOMB". We often open the oven and look inside. We don't open the other gas appliances (at least not where the burner is located).

I agree with Fred! The gas oven is not a place to experiment! Talk to the gas professionals. There may be a self igniting RV oven out there but I am not aware of one.

See this picture of what a gas leak can do to an RV.

drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:38 AM   #9
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Our oven (Magic Chef brand) works OK, but the pilot light is quite noisy. The dealer consulted Magic Chef, and was told that it is normal, but we don't think so. Compared to other RV ovens we have owned or known of, this one is NOISY. Anybody else having a noisy pilot with an '05 Magic Chef oven? (By noisy, I mean that it makes enough noise that even I can easily hear it with the oven door closed. Donna won't even leave it lit, because the noise it makes bothers her.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote