Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2006, 02:52 PM   #1
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Anybody ever have to trim branches ?

I carried a good set of pruning shears and even a small bow cross saw in case I ever had to trim some branches in a campsite but I did not have to use them on my last trip.

I came close but I was always able to miss low branches but a lot of Campgrounds do a poor job of trimming trees and with the Montanas being so high it is something you have to watch for. Even soft branches can snag a vent and do some damage.

I was wondering if anyone has had to trim his way into a poorly maintained campsite?

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Don,

That sounds like a great idea. I've been through such campsites, myself. (Though the worst one was in the dark in West Virginia, so I couldn’t even be warned.) And each time I look at the sides of this thing, I can see where overhanging branches have dragged along the sides. Thankfully, nothing's caught on top.

I wonder if some CG owners would be upset if they saw me on a ladder, whacking at some branches with a set of pruning shears.

Or a steak knife!

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:03 PM   #3
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Yes!! Where we are right now there are two beauitful trees one in the front and one in front of our kitchen window, when the wind would blow the one by the kitchen window would rub on the side of the Monty. Walt had to trim a lot of them to keep them from scratching the side.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I carry a telescoping tree pruner and a bow saw. I have used the pruner on a few occasions. When possible I do ask the CG owner first but it's either prune the tree or I'm heading down the road. Never had a problem. They have even hauled the trimings away.

BUT if you're gonna prune their trees prune them like they tree were in your own backyard.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:24 PM   #5
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
I had to last weekend. I carry a small saw for just such situations.
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:36 PM   #6
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
My wife just interjected.

I can’t trim the trees.

It would entail my using a sharp instrument.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:59 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I like Glenn's telescoping saw idea.

Actually I'm partial to a chain saw. Do they have noise restrictions in CGs after midnight??? Well, if you happen to be in a CG and you hear one fire up after dark... GUESS WHO'S CAMPING WITH YOU!!! (Temporarily probably, though)
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:07 PM   #8
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
If you want the spot, never ask permission, just beg forgiveness. Have had a bunch of damage from low hanging branches until I got used to height of the Montana (camped in a familiar place where the old rig fit, but the Montana didn't). Worst thing to deal with is low hanging electrical wires which you sometimes don't check out as carefully as tree branches. Worst place we experienced was at Soap Lake, WA. It was a city park with only one way out. Had to get on top with a broom to get the wires over the A/C and vents while my wife drove--very scary--not the wires. There was a city crew there and they said that the week before someone took out all the power lines, yet they re-installed them in the same place!
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:20 PM   #9
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mobilrvn

If you want the spot, never ask permission, just beg forgiveness. Have had a bunch of damage from low hanging branches until I got used to height of the Montana (camped in a familiar place where the old rig fit, but the Montana didn't). Worst thing to deal with is low hanging electrical wires which you sometimes don't check out as carefully as tree branches. Worst place we experienced was at Soap Lake, WA. It was a city park with only one way out. Had to get on top with a broom to get the wires over the A/C and vents while my wife drove--very scary--not the wires. There was a city crew there and they said that the week before someone took out all the power lines, yet they re-installed them in the same place!
I think that is called job security!!!

And yes, I have used a pruning hook to remove limbs that would scratch the coach.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:14 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have had to trim trees just to get the coach down the road at the stick house. I have a small set of clippers in the coach to keep small brances clipped out of the way.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 01:52 AM   #11
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Some older campgrounds need to take a look at hireing a tree trimmmer.I have some nasty branch scrapes on my Mountaineer. We were packed in like sardines the 4th of July last year at a camp resort along I80 in Iowa. When we tried to leave, we had to take a narrow, campground road along the permenent site area. Had to watch all the car and truck bumpers sticking out,and all the trees close to the narrow road.It is hard to look left and right and up and down all at the same time while you are trying to miss all the stuff while driveing.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:37 AM   #12
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
I can't imagine sawing or cutting branches on a tree in a campground.
The cg's we have been too, would never permit it. They don't even allow you to cut off the dead branches. *sigh* guess we'd just have to head to the next campground with trees that were trimmed.

At our last stay we were told that the next time we come in if we give them advance notice they would lead us in with a boom truck to
clear the branches out of our way. Don't know that there will be a next time at that campsite, though. It's an older one with so many dogwood trees and they are gorgeous, however they just had too many and too many with low branches. It was really difficult to navigate.
And it was our first trip out in our Mounty.
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 03:22 AM   #13
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
It's illegal to cut or trim a tree in a state park or national park so if one needs trimed you better find a ranger or a maintance person to do the cutting or you may be in for a pretty big fine. Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 03:34 AM   #14
Bear Hunter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2464
In the Michigan SP CG you can not trim and the 2 time I ask to have branches trimed I was told I could change sites because they will not trim live branches.
Bear Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 11:19 AM   #15
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
If you have to trim trees to get into a CG it is time to go to another CG. It is illegal to cut trees or shrubs in California SPs and of course National Parks. I would hope that if you do cut stuff in such a park that there would be a significant fine.

In a private CG..... well that is different. But ALWAYS ask before you do such a thing. If you cannot get into the park or your site without cutting then ask the CG people to take care of it for you. If they will not then go somewhere else. If enough people have a problem and go somewhere else they will soon change or be out of business.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:09 PM   #16
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Great RV pruning saw!!! Go to Sears (Craftsman!) and get a Fiskars pruning saw. They're quite small, retractable, and very sharp! Great for pruning those overhanging branches, cutting up firewood pieces, and only about $10!!! A must for every Montana owner. I have given a number as gifts to Rv friends and family. My brother calls it the "miracle saw!" I have one in the garage for yard use and one in the RV for CG "improvements!"
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 03:38 PM   #17
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
On those few occasions when I needed to clip some low hanging branches, I've always asked the CG for permission to cut them or ask them to cut them. I've never been refused and most of the CG people have been very courteous about it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:18 PM   #18
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We have not had to trim trees but did have to cut our own grass at a rv park in MO. We ask them if they could cut the grass which was knee high outside our door. No one did so we bought a grass trimmer and did it ourselves. Now we carry a small grass trimmer.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:37 AM   #19
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
We have had to cut some small branches on ocassion. I carry a small folding pruning saw from home depot,real handy, costs about 14 dollars. Jack
Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote