Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2016, 08:36 AM   #1
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Transmission fluid change schedule

Was looking through my owners manual and noted that Ford recommends changing the trans fluid at 30K miles for trans with the EXTERNAL fluid filter. Elsewhere it states at 60K miles but doesn't state EXTERNAL or INTERNAL filter. The wording is a little confusing regarding with or without the external filter. Anyone else note this? How do I know if I have the external filter?
We're driving a 2008 Ford F-350 4x4, single rear wheel, 6.4 Power Stroke diesel with the five speed auto. I just checked the fluid (which I do often anyway) and it's at the correct level and clean as a whistle.

Kevin

Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:03 AM   #2
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
I went by the Owner's Guide on my 2009 F250 and had dealer do fluid exchange at 60,000 miles. Exchange/flush is the only way to replace the fluid in the torque converter. Dump and refill will not REFRESH entire transmission, lines. cooler and torque converter. This also covers you on 100k warranty. Transmission shops in my area were higher than the dealer on flush-exchange (go figure!).
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:41 AM   #3
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
When I bought my '06 it only had 28k miles on it (three years ago). Had the dealer include the 30k mile transmission service as part of the deal. They flushed it even though the manual says to 'change' it and gave me the explanation that flushing did a better job but wasn't all that available back when the manual was written.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:56 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I would NEVER flush that transmission. I've saw too many go bad after they were done. There is a better way. Unhook the line to the transmission oil cooler put the line back to transmission in the bucket of new fluid. You will haft to add an extension to it. The new oil will be drawn out of the new can. Run the truck until the new oil starts running out of the other line. This will change will all the fluid safely.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:34 PM   #5
Cohersh

M.O.C. #17210
Flushing the transmission fluid is an external exchange. They hook up a machine at the cooler lines. It works off the pressure of the truck and as the old fluid enters the machine, new enters the transmission. I would recommend a flush every 30K if you tow regularly, especially on long grades. I would also recommend flushing with 16-18 quarts new fluid. Do not let anyone talk you into replacing internal filter, it is only a screen and need not be changed. It will only allow for possible leak points. If, however, you have a transmission with internal band adjustment, such as Dodge 48RE, you should perform band adjustment at that time also. I use the BG full synthetic fluid due to the high heat resistance it has before break down.
Cohersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:33 PM   #6
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
flush 'exchange' two-bucket method, not for me! If you ever have the opportunity, get a dealer or transmission shop to describe and demo how a real flush exchange works, you'll agree. shade-tree bucket exchange probably will not satisfy warranty requirements. I want a receipt from dealer or transmission shop for required flush/exchange.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:22 AM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Don't know about Ford's trans, but Allison says change the external filter (internal change is for rebuild only) and don't "flush" it.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:34 AM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I would think a flush/exchange would be the same whether you have an outfit hook up their machine to it or if you do it yourself with two separate jugs. Both exchange the old fluid with new. One measures amount ... one you watch the fluid color change. Neither lets you look at the bottom of the pan for accumulation or change the filter if there is one.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:08 PM   #9
Jimmer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14208
I work at a car dealership service department. I highly recommend the flush procedure. I have watched how the flush machine works. It shows the old fluid going out and the fluid that comes out after 30K is usually pretty dark. We use a product called BG and it sends a cleaner through the transmission first and then it starts the exchange. Great procedure.
Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:32 PM   #10
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
http://transmissionrepairguy.com/tra...-fluid-change/