Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2015, 03:05 PM   #21
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Had truck towed to another dealer. We'll see what happens but, I don't have high hopes. Will make an insurance claim if they come back with the same answer.

davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:18 PM   #22
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Ford customer care is a joke. All they will tell you is that they are sorry you're having problems and take it to your dealer. If you tell them you did that already then they tell you take it to a different dealer and sorry you're having problems. Repeat. I've had a few talks with them.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:24 PM   #23
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I have had zero problems with my 2014. My dealer contacts have been very professional and satisfactory. Ford has been very responsible on all of our Ford cars. I can't say the same about the recalls on our Chysler vehicles during the last year. It's a crap shoot. Four of my friends have 2014-2015 Superduty's have reported no such problems. Hope it works out.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:35 AM   #24
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
How did Ford get come to be the bad guy here. If there is gas in the tank, and that hasn't been proven yet Ford didn't put it there.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:11 AM   #25
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Update. First call from second dealer. "No gasoline contamination in the diesel fuel" Woo Hoo.

What if we were to look at this from a different perspective. What if Lippert or Keystone were to deny fixing "frame Flex" due to users driving on a bad road, a road that was out of spec? I think it would be well within their right to stick it to the consumer on that one as well. In fact we have more control over driving on a road than we do on choosing fuel. At least I can see the road and have a lot of experience judging the quality of the road ahead of me. But they don't stick it to us. The "worst company" in the RV industry Lippert simply picks up the tab and fixes the issue. Same thing happens with electronics. Your TV dies due to a brown out, you take it back to vendor and they give you a new one. It's not their fault your power was bad but they stand by their product and protect the consumer.

The big three are not standing behind the durability of the HPFP and fuel system with Ford leading the pack. I'm not saying this will be my case. I'll find out in a day or two. Somebody will end up spending 10-15k for the repair if the "bad fuel" diagnosis sticks.

If you aren't familiar with the issue you are very lucky. The burden of proof is placed on the consumer. Your warranty is voided unless you replace all parts down the line even if they aren't broken. Spend some time in the various truck forums and read up on the issue.

Mind you my "fuel contaminated with gasoline" diagnosis and the threat of voided warranty all started with a very scientific sniff test.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:39 AM   #26
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Their is bad fuel out there and I am always worried I might get a second batch myself.. Our cost on the last batch was about $8,500 to replace all parts that were plugged with soot. Thanks for the computer trying to adjust the fuel ratio my truck was not burning clean causing it to produce lots of soot. So had to replace the intercooler,dpf filter and throttle valve... Next time I have a problem I will be installing a dpf delete kit for sure... Good luck and hopefully covered by some insurance..
Old 10-27-2015, 07:00 AM   #27
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If the up lift pump went out and caused the HPFP to be starved for fuel and ruined it isn't that Fords problem? If there is no rust, from water or dirt Ford should fix the problem, a new HPFP, new limes and new injectors.
Lynwood
Old 10-27-2015, 09:02 AM   #28
Bacfyr

M.O.C. #16097
Has anyone checked to see if the computer threw any codes?
Good Luck
Bacfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:53 PM   #29
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Update again. Second dealer says fuel is good but can't find a problem. They pulled the codes but can't find a reason for the "Low Fuel Pressure". The new rub is if they can't find an issue I'm on the hook for their investigative work since the truck came into their dealership w/o an issue. At least that's how it was explained to me. I'm giving them tomorrow to search a little further then I'll take it back until it does it again. I've already opened a case with Ford. I'll argue with them about the bills. So far I'm at $410 plus the new fees from the second dealer which will probably be around $500 when it's all said and done. I'd rather pay the $900 or so it will end up costing me in the end to get the "Bad Fuel" history removed than pay $10k for unnecessary parts replacement. The whole thing is pretty sad actually.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:47 AM   #30
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
It don't seem fair to charge you for checking it out when you had a low fuel pressure warning. I wonder could this be a bad sensor. I know you changed the fuel filters but could something still be hindering fuel flow to the HPFP?
Lynwood
Old 10-28-2015, 06:57 AM   #31
FordMan1966
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15933
No problems at all with my 2011 PSD or the 2014 PSD that I have now. I believe I would call Ford back and threaten them a little bit about the charges you are already out with the truck still being under warranty. You might even have to get a Regional Ford Rep to help you out.
FordMan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:32 AM   #32
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Agree with Fordman1966. If the dealer lied he needs to be called out and Ford needs to know about it. Get a sample of your fuel in the tank and a sample from the station you used and have them analyzed.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:54 AM   #33
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Final update for now I hope.

Truck is "fine" they can't find an issue so I will have a flight recorder left in the truck for the next episode. All charges at second dealer are under warranty but they aren't closing the work order since I'm using the flight recorder. They are including "no contaminated fuel found" in the paperwork to get me out of the mess the first dealer started. I'll take the $ and first dealer issues up with Ford corporate. I have a case open with Ford already waiting on a call back from the Rep.

As for the fuel filters. They were changed at 10k miles. I'm at 14500 or so. I'll be changing them every other oil change just to be safe.

I think half my hair turned grey and my Blood pressure jumped 20 points for a full week. I'm thankful to have more than one dealer within driving distance or I could have been fighting for months on this one.

For anybody local (So Cal). Hamburg Ford in Norco came to my rescue. I'm sure they have their problems but I'm pretty happy with them at this moment.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:28 PM   #34
farmall130
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13857
Warranty issues are interesting. The reason I came to be on this forum all started with horrible customer service. In 2013 I bought a new Forest River Blue Ridge 3600RL. Was very impressed with the features and floor plan for the money. Of the 6 months I owned it, I had it at my home for 22 days. The dealer was part of the problem, but it had massive quality issues (slide rollers and brackets installed wrong, gap above frameless window water poured in, fascia molding around living room slide buckled and came off, cracks in front cap and molding along roofline came off on one side just to name a few). I talked with FR several times, they admitted they had some "issues" at the factory but wouldn't compensate me in any way for losing the whole summer and would not extend the warranty. I finally had a fit at the dealer and wound up trading for a Montana on their lot + $6500. Lost money but as glad to get into a well built unit, I had two Montana travel trailers before. Not trying to bash a brand, but I will never buy another of their products and will talk anybody I can out of buying one.
farmall130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:11 AM   #35
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Quick update. I still have the flight recorder in the truck and no issues with +1000 miles on the clock. Struggled with the idea of taking her down to Mexico for fear of my issue stranding me south of the border but bit the bullet and just went. Had a great trip. Truck ran exactly as she should even had an opportunity to exercise 4WD. Local Ford advocate called me twice to check in and make sure everything is okay. Hoping they issue a TSB or Flash before my next service trip that magically fixes what I really hope turns into a "non issue" distant memory.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:06 AM   #36
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
That's called "free advertising".

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by farmall130

Not trying to bash a brand, but I will never buy another of their products and will talk anybody I can out of buying one.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:47 PM   #37
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
I know this does not explain the noise heard by the OP, but FWIW ;
I rented a Ford pickup when we toured Iceland last yr, and on about the 4 th day of our trip the truck went into limp mode 10 miles from anywhere. Long, long story short, the problem turned out to be a bad rr brake sensor. Yes, this will trigger limp mode without throwing a specific code.
New vehicles are complex, and you never know what is issue unless you have let the smoke out of a component.
(As far as our problem went, Ford of Iceland, or however Ford parts are distributed in Iceland did not have the part, and had never ordered one, as "these sensors never go bad". We got a replacement truck, and it would not surprise me if the first truck is still sitting in the yard waiting for the part)

Good luck finding your issue. Or it never reappearing.

-Steve
sapest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:55 PM   #38
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
She died again. This time I was able to capture something on the "flight recorder". Problem isn't going away like last time so maybe they'll be able to fix something. First goal is to get the truck on a flat bed. Been waiting 5 hours for Ford Roadside to get somebody here.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #39
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Keep us posted!
Lynwood
Old 11-24-2015, 12:17 AM   #40
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Hopefully they can find something and soon!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote